Mag question and a hello

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Mag question and a hello

Postby Anspaughfarms917 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:21 pm

Hello folks. New to the caliber. Purchased the bushmaster 91702 20” upper for my Anderson lower. Love the accuracy, punch, and versatility of the round. My upper has been shipped back to bushmaster for reliability issues. Stove piping, failure to feed, and the gas block wasn’t staked. But all that aside, has anyone come to an agreement on the holy grail mag yet? I’m in the process of modifying pmags. Both a 30 and a 10. I’ve read most of the forums conversations on the topic. Just wondered if anything new has come down the pike yet.

As for me. My name is Dan, I work in ag, voulanteer fireman of 15 years, and aspiring small farmer. father of a 7 year old daughter and a 8 month old son and married to my wife for 8 years. Hope to be a helpful addition to the forum as I discover solutions to anything you folks might not have already problem solved.
Anspaughfarms917

Re: Mag question and a hello

Postby Al in Mi » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:00 am

welcome to the addiction Dan.

as far as mags go, Bartz are hard to beat, I use Stoners from Midway too, haven't had a problem after dehorning all the edges. I think Tony Rumor has or was working on one too.
Al in Mi

Postby Hoot » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:55 am

Al in Mi wrote:welcome to the addiction Dan.

as far as mags go, Bartz are hard to beat...snip

Welcome aboard Dan!

Mags intended to be packed with 5.56 cartridges tend to have a lot more spring in them than is needed. I remove enough turns from the bottom so as to just have a modest lifting force with the last 450b round in them. That really helps, along with as Al said, polishing the underside of the lips where they drag on the cases. It is beneficial to grind or file a half-moon out of the top of the front of the mags. Look at the 5-rd mag that came with your upper (should have), to see what I mean about the half-moon. If those actions don't get your mags running reliably, then you switch from science to art and tweak the lips.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Anspaughfarms917 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:24 am

I’ll have to order a few of each. I sent the whole ball of wax back to bushmaster for warranty work. I hope they aren’t asleep at the wheel and get it done quick. I’ve read a mixed bag of reviews on their service dept. but I take that with a grain of salt. Going to use the rifle for deer in Michigan. I rarely have to take a poke beyond 60 yards. But it would be nice to be able to feed a whole mag without arguing with it.
Anspaughfarms917

Postby Anspaughfarms917 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:37 am

Still no word from bushmaster. After multiple emails with no response and a few calls with different stories I still have no clue what’s going on with my riffle. Wouldn’t bother me so much if they didn’t have my lower receiver.
Anspaughfarms917

Postby Buckeye45 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:34 pm

I have several of the Lancer AWP mags and they all work well with no modifications at all. In fact these are the same mags many shops around here are reselling loose for 30-40 bucks. I use the 10 rd 556 mags because they hold the 3 that I can use in Ohio for hunting. I don't know if the single followers that some, and our friend Tony here sells would make them better but I haven't had any issues using them bone stock. I put one of Tony's followers in a Bushmaster 10 rd mag and it works fine and makes less noise in the gun while hunting.
I've emailed Magpul about appropriate mags for the 450 and got blown off. Apparently they don't think 200,000 serious and dedicated deer hunters are worthy of their attention. So be it. Other mags work well and just make sure if you hunt that the few you use are well tested.
Buckeye45

Postby rinkrat311 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:59 am

I agree on the Lancer AWM magazines although I modified a blue ebay follower to work in the 20rnd I had in the pile. Having access to a 3D printer, I'm currently making a dedicated follower for the Lancer mags I have so I can eliminate the "double follower" approach since these will end up dedicated 450 magazines and won't need converted back.

Stoner 450 mags from Midway have worked well, better after polishing and spring adjustment per the already mentioned comments. The same blue ebay follower has fed well in standard GI metal 30rnd mags but holding the bolt open on the last round has been hit or miss. Since solving my cycling issues (another thread) I'm sure this is due to the follower and not any other part of the gun but I'm also fine with the bolt not holding open 100% of the time as that setup won't end up being what I use full time.

Attached is a pic of the Lancer custom 450 follower currently on the printer (and some scope throw levers)... I'll let you know how it pans out!
Attachments
20190108_124204_1.jpg
Lancer L5 AWM custom single followers & Vortex Throw Levers
20190108_124204_1.jpg (106.19 KiB) Viewed 9708 times
rinkrat311

Postby Anspaughfarms917 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:04 pm

Please do keep us posted on what you learn. I wish bushmaster would get the lead out
Anspaughfarms917

Postby Blackedout12v » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:47 pm

rinkrat311 wrote:I agree on the Lancer AWM magazines although I modified a blue ebay follower to work in the 20rnd I had in the pile. Having access to a 3D printer, I'm currently making a dedicated follower for the Lancer mags I have so I can eliminate the "double follower" approach since these will end up dedicated 450 magazines and won't need converted back.

Stoner 450 mags from Midway have worked well, better after polishing and spring adjustment per the already mentioned comments. The same blue ebay follower has fed well in standard GI metal 30rnd mags but holding the bolt open on the last round has been hit or miss. Since solving my cycling issues (another thread) I'm sure this is due to the follower and not any other part of the gun but I'm also fine with the bolt not holding open 100% of the time as that setup won't end up being what I use full time.

Attached is a pic of the Lancer custom 450 follower currently on the printer (and some scope throw levers)... I'll let you know how it pans out!

Any updates on these,?? as I'm starting to think the lancer mags may very well be my favorite mag to use in 5.56 and 450bm, but so far a modified GI mag with a calegal 458 socom follower has worked best in my 450.
Blackedout12v

Postby rinkrat311 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:37 pm

Blackedout12v wrote:
rinkrat311 wrote:I agree on the Lancer AWM magazines although I modified a blue ebay follower to work in the 20rnd I had in the pile. Having access to a 3D printer, I'm currently making a dedicated follower for the Lancer mags I have so I can eliminate the "double follower" approach since these will end up dedicated 450 magazines and won't need converted back.

Any updates on these,?? as I'm starting to think the lancer mags may very well be my favorite mag to use in 5.56 and 450bm, but so far a modified GI mag with a calegal 458 socom follower has worked best in my 450.

Pulled them off the printer this morning (at my place of employment) and they look good. Will get them home tonight to check fit to a magazine and maybe touch off a few to check feeding. I'll post some pics later.
rinkrat311

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles