New supressor/brake

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

New supressor/brake

Postby 2zero6 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:53 am

I figured I create a thread for this so that way I am not taking ver the other muzzle thread size thread. The most recent communication from Harris at ar15performance is:

mailed-byar15performance.com

We are running a few different MCDs now let me see what I can do. A big bore needs a big wall for the gases to deflect off of, it needs to be near 1" dia to be effective with a bore that sized. I drew up a brake with 4 square ports like a bennie cooley but angled up to keep the muzzle down.
H

For those that don't know what a Bennie Cooley looks like here is a pic:

I would like the original design that was previously posted but I don't know about the physics of the wall thickness and strength needed to deflect the gasses (maybe Wildcatter might know). The Izzy doesn't seem like it is that thick. The original design looks like this:
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Re: New supressor/brake

Postby Al in Mi » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:58 am

for what it's worth at 3:59am est, the brake on my 338-378 Weatherby is 3/4" in diameter, if that will help with wall thickness.
Al in Mi

Postby 2zero6 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:27 am

Al in Mi wrote:for what it's worth at 3:59am est, the brake on my 338-378 Weatherby is 3/4" in diameter, if that will help with wall thickness.

I appreciate the info, and I will pass it on to Harris. Information is worth it's weight in gold no matter what time or timezone. Thanks again! :D
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
2zero6

Postby MudBug » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:49 am

I don't know much about the design of these things, but I will take one of whatever is the finished design.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby 2zero6 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:38 pm

MudBug wrote:I don't know much about the design of these things, but I will take one of whatever is the finished design.

Ok cool, I am in the same boat, and if there ends up being more than one option I might just get one of each. I am also trying to make it so they will be able to market it to the .458socom crowd with just a thread change to help with initial group buy in and long term profitability. I will update this thread as information comes in and anybody else that wants in just let me know on this thread.
2zero6

Postby Al in Mi » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:49 am

I put one of these on my DPMS 300 short mag, made a huge difference.

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPTRE-5.58S.925

They don't offer a thread size for the 450, but maybe one could be opened up.
Al in Mi

Postby 2zero6 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:58 am

Al in Mi wrote:I put one of these on my DPMS 300 short mag, made a huge difference.

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPTRE-5.58S.925

They don't offer a thread size for the 450, but maybe one could be opened up.

There is possibilty that something very close to that will be coming out. That design is a Bennie Cooley style.
2zero6

Postby wildcatter » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:22 am

Hey 206, Not quite sure what you want me to council on, but if it's the physics vs mass vs thickness of brake, vs effectiveness, than maybe somewhere in all that, I can hit what you need..

The brake only needs to be as thick as is necessary for it to work properly, which isn't much. We could have a bake that is very effective, but a foot in dia., and not over-all, very effective. The Izzy Brake, named by my 'ol buddy Israel Anzaldua, the LE chief at Bushmaster, is very light and effective. You'll notice that it has no openings at the 6 o'clock position, this is because when these things are open in that area they can give away your position, especially if shooting from the prone and with the current openings on the Izzy, it puts more gas straight up, causing way-way less muzzle jump. Now I agree that it ain't as sexy as many of the others, but I want what works and I want it to be light, A.K.A..the Izzy Brake, but that's just me, heck I hate the way some of these things will ring your bell, by being just so loud and some of these brakes will kill your hunting partner's ears. All-in-all, I'd rather not have any brake, if I have to have one, and they all work as advertised, and beauty is definitely in the eyes of the beholder, then for this rig, personally, give me the Izzy. For the record, I had nothing to to with the brake on the 450b work-up.
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby MADONE64 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:05 pm

Ive always been big fan of breaks. This is probably due to the fact that i like to shoot really big stuff. I have too many rifles to mention with muzzle breaks ranging from a .375 JDJ contender to a Barrett .50. Im definatly no expert, but i agree with wildcatter here. I have no problems with the IZZY on my 450, and dont really have a need to change.
Just my thoughts.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" Benjamin Franklin
MADONE64

Postby 2zero6 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:34 pm

Don't get me wrong I like the Izzy too and it's design is really close to the phantom. It serves its pupose and does its job very well, but I would like other options for say, a display rifle or something that is just different from everyone else in addition to my current set up. I really do like the first design I posted in a picture as it is tunable, and I know the .450 was never designed to be a long range cartridge, but it's nice to have other options available. Usually when others in any industry see that people are creating niche products taht have a demand they jump on it as well, which usually also benefits the consumer with better prices due to competition. Example: Big bore AR's, all of a sudden we have big name companies like Rock River and Bushmaster offering product at lower prices compared to when they were usually just custom rifles being built in low volume. Take it all as a grain of salt but just my .02 cents.
2zero6

Return to AR15 Style Rifles