Side charger 450bm ??

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Side charger 450bm ??

Postby Blackedout12v » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:17 am

Anybody running a side charger? Looking into it. I'm a little anal about brass, so it seems like a brass catcher will be a problem. Any negatives or positives guys running them could share.. I do not hunt so catching my brass is a big consideration for me. Anyways whats your guys/gals thoughts...??
Blackedout12v

Re: Side charger 450bm ??

Postby Bmt85 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:02 am

I currently have 2-450B uppers that I built using right hand, side charging uppers. Will probably be building a third one soon. One I know is a BCA, the other is a company I never really really heard of, but looks like they either get them from BCA, or made an almost exact copy. So far, they work just fine. I use a Caldwell brass catcher, and it just clears the charging handles when set up correctly. You could also try a left charging, right eject upper.
Bmt85

Postby Blackedout12v » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:42 am

I use the Caldwell brass catcher also,have a couple.(cheap and work). keeps me from going insane looking for one piece of brass that I know ejected in the vicinity of where I'm shooting. Sounds like your happy with a side charger, good deal. Hope to join the club ASAP..
Blackedout12v

Postby Buckeye45 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:14 am

I built one on a Bear Creek side charging upper. I'm very happy. No mods are needed for the fatter 450 case to eject.
I just saw an article about making a brass deflector using an old weaver type ring and piece of plastic. Basically take the top off the ring and fasten a piece of plastic like a cut up plastic lid to the 2 screws on the ejection side. The idea is its temporary and easy to attach while at the bench. I'm going to play around with this on a cold night this winter.
Buckeye45

Postby Blackedout12v » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:11 pm

Joined the dark side and got a side charge upper, I must digress I bought it in 458socom. Initial impression seems I will like it, ammo will be here Monday, so we shall see. It appears a caldwell brass catcher will work just as bmt85 said above. If I like it well enough I will put one in 450bm together in the near future.
Blackedout12v

Postby Hoot » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:41 pm

I've been keen on a left side charger but cant find one with a forward assist, so its the reciprocating one that Eisenach makes or nothing. Unfortunately, its not cheap, nor is the BCG for it. It'll take me falling into some serious discretionary cash before that happens. I loved my FAL and G3 left side chargers, when I had them. The conventional AR receiver 450b I have (Bartz) runs so well that I've not been consumed with replacing it with a side charger. I have a rather large list of things I'd get if money was no question... ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Blackedout12v » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:19 pm

Hoot wrote:I've been keen on a left side charger but cant find one with a forward assist, so its the reciprocating one that Eisenach makes or nothing. Unfortunately, its not cheap, nor is the BCG for it. It'll take me falling into some serious discretionary cash before that happens. I loved my FAL and G3 left side chargers, when I had them. The conventional AR receiver 450b I have (Bartz) runs so well that I've not been consumed with replacing it with a side charger. I have a rather large list of things I'd get if money was no question... ;)

Hoot

I was a little Hung up on The fact there was no forward assist or dust cover, Mainly because I always had them. I figured the forward assist was a wash since I could use the charging handle as the forward assist. The dust cover I will just have to live without. Time will tell if I truly like it or not
Blackedout12v

Postby Hoot » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:45 pm

Blackedout12v wrote:
Hoot wrote:I've been keen on a left side charger but cant find one with a forward assist, so its the reciprocating one that Eisenach makes or nothing. Unfortunately, its not cheap, nor is the BCG for it. It'll take me falling into some serious discretionary cash before that happens. I loved my FAL and G3 left side chargers, when I had them. The conventional AR receiver 450b I have (Bartz) runs so well that I've not been consumed with replacing it with a side charger. I have a rather large list of things I'd get if money was no question... ;)

Hoot

I was a little Hung up on The fact there was no forward assist or dust cover, Mainly because I always had them. I figured the forward assist was a wash since I could use the charging handle as the forward assist. The dust cover I will just have to live without. Time will tell if I truly like it or not

I was just referring to left siders as most are non-reciprocating. Why a left sider? If I'm going to change out a perfectly good receiver, I want to make sure I check all my "preference" boxes. Otherwise, I would have opted for a right sider long ago. After all, most of my autoloading hunting rifles are right siders already. Its just the AR's that aren't. 8-)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Return to AR15 Style Rifles