A2 stock On 450 build yes or no?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

A2 stock On 450 build yes or no?

Postby Wyld Bill » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:07 pm

Hello everyone. Just starting my 450 build on a Anderson lower and BCA upper. Just curious if anyone is using an A2 stock and if you are liking it? Also curious if I might have any problems with rifle buffer,spring,and tube with midlength system?Thanks in advance!
Wyld Bill

Re: A2 stock On 450 build yes or no?

Postby Hoot » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:02 pm

Welcome aboard Bill!

My very first rendition of my 450b AR setup had a Bushmaster 20" upper on top of an RRA NM A2 Lower. I loved it. When I added a slip-on Limbsaver recoil pad (highly advised) it made the LOP a tad long for my physical build. So, I bought an A1 stock (1 inch shorter) and the fit was perfect. I liked it so much, II got another A1 stock for my other lower that shared a host of different caliber uppers. Though it wan't necessary with the lesser calibers, it kept the feel the same when switching from my 450b and back. Besides, I just can't warm up to a stock that looks like a prosthetic limb. If you know someone with an AR that has an A2 stock already on it, see how it fits you. It'll either feel natural or not. I do recommend some form of recoil pad. Its the best bang for buck you can buy for making the 450b more comfortable to shoot for an extended range day. Since I outfitted my lowers years ago, I now see that you can actually get an effective recoil pad that will bolt right into the back of an A2 stock. That didn't exist back when I first got started. I did try modding a bolt on general replacement, medium size, Limbsaver but the recoil stress made it break. That's when I just went with a slip-on. You have more options now. Explore at will. In the mean time if you like an A2 stock, by all means go with it but if its a little long for you, consider an A1 stock if you think you're going to add a recoil pad and save the cost of having bought both.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Wyld Bill » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:14 am

Thanks Hoot I appreciate all the input! I browsed these forums before I joined on here and seen your name come up a bunch.Seems like you definitely know your stuff,so I really do thank you for the suggestions. PSA had a shot show sale few days ago with A2 stock,spring,buffer,etc. and lpk so I jumped the gun and bought it for 109.00 and was seeing if I made right choice. PSA shipping takes forever so of course I haven’t received it yet. This will be my 6th build but first 450BM and first A2 stock. Hoping it’s not too long for me especially if I have to get a pad. Super excited about this 450. I do have the Ruger ranch in 450 and seen what it does to whitetail here in Ohio. Next season will be the very first time I have ever hunted deer with AR platform so I know when I’m taking my vacation days. I’m sure I’ll talk to you again. Thanks my friend!
Wyld Bill

Postby Buckeye45 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:14 am

I just switched back to an A2 stock after running the funky looking Magpul fixed stock. I put the pad on Hoot mentioned and it works very well. I too am concerned with length should we have another cold season requiring a heavy coat. Cav arms makes an A1 stock which is 5/8 inch shorter. I've looked at those and for 25$ just for the stock I may try it out. On the light weight build thread someone mentioned the Sig carbon fiber A1 stock as being very nice as well. I guess I've gone full circle on the tacticool stuff and am beginning to appreciate the simplicity of the original designs. Even with a carbine stock I alway had it set at the longest setting so a fixed stock doesn't bother me.
Buckeye45

Postby Hopalong » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:28 pm

I dinked around with various styles of fixed and adjustable stocks on my 450B. Never liked the rattles or wobbles of the carbine style stocks, one even had one with recoil compensation, but have gone back to fixed. I’ve used an add-on pad as well though my current stock doesn’t have one. Simplicity…
Hopalong

Postby Hoot » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:47 pm

Buckeye45 wrote:I just switched back to an A2 stock after running the funky looking Magpul fixed stock. I put the pad on Hoot mentioned and it works very well. I too am concerned with length should we have another cold season requiring a heavy coat. Cav arms makes an A1 stock which is 5/8 inch shorter. I've looked at those and for 25$ just for the stock I may try it out. On the light weight build thread someone mentioned the Sig carbon fiber A1 stock as being very nice as well. I guess I've gone full circle on the tacticool stuff and am beginning to appreciate the simplicity of the original designs. Even with a carbine stock I alway had it set at the longest setting so a fixed stock doesn't bother me.

My memory failed me when I said my A1 stocks were an inch shorter, as I bought Cav Arms units. So, they must be 5/8 inch shorter. It still helped me get a better fit.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Wyld Bill » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:59 pm

All these builds I have done with these adjustable stocks and they just seem to all have some sort of play when they are in any position. That’s what definitely made me want to try a fixed stock on the 450BM. I have a fixed magpul carbine moe on a AK74 and love it. Really wish they made or maybe they do, a carbine stock adjustable with no wiggle. Frustrating when your shooting for groups. Was pondering the magpul fixed but just went with PSA A2. I’m going to check out some of the A1 stocks too.
Wyld Bill

Postby Hoot » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:02 pm

It would seem to me if an adjustable stock allows you to get the dimensions that fit you the best, then you should be able to immobilize it with a strong adhesive like JB weld, once you have it dialed in. Of course, that would be its final dimension but at least you could mitigate the wobble and rattle.
just sayin...

Hoot
Hoot

Postby ardenkent » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:13 pm

I made the switch from carbine to A2 and like it better this way.
ardenkent

Postby TacoTaco » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:14 pm

I run an A2 stock for all range work due to less felt recoil. When hunting season rolls around I swap it with a Magpul collapser for a more compact package.
TacoTaco

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles