Reducing recoil

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Reducing recoil

Postby Hopalong » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:02 am

I used this stock on my 450B before going back to a fixed stock.

https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/ ... and-ar-15/
Hopalong

Postby plant_one » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:48 am

did you get the 16" carbine gas upper or the 18" midgas upper?

if its their 16" i have 3 words for you

adjustable gas block.

on the 18 i dunno how much you can tame down the gas without having cycling issues. on carbine case we've got wiggle room to work with.

hth
plant_one

Postby muddy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:30 pm

plant_one wrote:did you get the 16" carbine gas upper or the 18" midgas upper?

if its their 16" i have 3 words for you

adjustable gas block.

on the 18 i dunno how much you can tame down the gas without having cycling issues. on carbine case we've got wiggle room to work with.

hth

I have the 18" barrel. 3 more words..

S**t outta luck?
muddy

Postby Buckeye45 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:46 pm

Not at all. That Bear creek 18 inch upper is a heavy mug. I now, I just got one. You have 18" of heavy profile steel and a "robust" brake on the end. So that there will help a lot. As for the stock, anything that doesn't fit increases felt recoil. With multiple kids stick with an adjustable stock so it can be adjusted for each shooter. That in itself will make the gun more comfortable to shoot. Any upgrade in a pad is just bonus. If you don't like to tinker then just don't. What I mean is many of us like to tinker and chase things around in search of marginal gains. If you want to keep it simple than stick with what you got. I think your kids will be just fine.
Buckeye45

Postby plant_one » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:40 pm

you're not SOL, but i just dont know how much benefit a AGB will get you on an 18" midgas. I'm sure it'll be some, but i dunno how much you can restrict that (and reduce felt recoil) without being undergassed with that system.
plant_one

Postby muddy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:31 pm

Buckeye45 wrote:Not at all. That Bear creek 18 inch upper is a heavy mug. I now, I just got one. You have 18" of heavy profile steel and a "robust" brake on the end. So that there will help a lot. As for the stock, anything that doesn't fit increases felt recoil. With multiple kids stick with an adjustable stock so it can be adjusted for each shooter. That in itself will make the gun more comfortable to shoot. Any upgrade in a pad is just bonus. If you don't like to tinker then just don't. What I mean is many of us like to tinker and chase things around in search of marginal gains. If you want to keep it simple than stick with what you got. I think your kids will be just fine.

Do you plan to get a different brake or keep the one that came with it? I have been looking at the brake that Ross makes simply based on reviews here on the forum.
muddy

Postby plant_one » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:49 pm

the BCA muzzle device is a flash hider, not a brake - unless they've changed something i missed
plant_one

Postby Buckeye45 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:54 am

My BCA upper was an impulse buy. I've got 2 others I'm working on now so the BCA will stay stock until the others are finally tweaked out and a full accuracy run done on them. A brake will help tremendously but after firing with a brake while hunting last year I'm going to get a Kaw Valley linear comp. if you use a brake you need to keep ear plugs handy and that's not how I hunt. My ears rang for two days after one shot, so I'll take thump over deaf.
Buckeye45

Postby sakremer » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:24 pm

Springco.com has a number of buffer action springs that you could use.
http://www.sprinco.com/tactical.html

The best one for the 450 is the red spring.
sakremer

Postby muddy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:30 pm

Buckeye45 wrote:My BCA upper was an impulse buy. I've got 2 others I'm working on now so the BCA will stay stock until the others are finally tweaked out and a full accuracy run done on them. A brake will help tremendously but after firing with a brake while hunting last year I'm going to get a Kaw Valley linear comp. if you use a brake you need to keep ear plugs handy and that's not how I hunt. My ears rang for two days after one shot, so I'll take thump over deaf.

Yeah my buddy has a bolt Bushy and he said the brake made it so loud his ears rang for over a day with 1 shot. I'd have to definitely invest in some good muffs for the kids and myself in the blind
muddy

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles