How many of you Optically Center a rifle scope?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

How many of you Optically Center a rifle scope?

Postby Wyld Bill » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:40 pm

Hey all! Hope everyone’s having a great weekend. Quick question and maybe a dumb one at that, But just curious if I’m one of the few that usually don’t optically zero my scope. So my question is do you optically zero your scope and do you think it makes a big difference? Thanks to all replies in advance!
Wyld Bill

Re: How many of you Optically Center a rifle scope?

Postby Wyld Bill » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:42 pm

Keep in mind next time I put glass on I’m probably going to do so!
Wyld Bill

Postby bushmeister » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:06 pm

I do. It doesn't always, but often saves a good bit of time (and a little money) getting it on paper.
bushmeister

Postby Jim in Houston » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:09 am

By "optically center," do you mean "bore sight" by securely positioning the upper with the BCG removed on the shooting bench, then looking down the barrel to center the target in it, then adjusting the scope to get it on the target at the same
time?

If so, I do this at 25 yards, then shoot a couple of rounds to be sure I am on the paper, before I move out to 50 or 100 (or whatever) yards to fire a group and make final adjustments to the optics.

It saves time in the event you first fire your group and find out you are not on the paper. It's also something you can do at home in the backyard before you go to the range.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby plant_one » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:53 am

i lap my rings and install my optics with a level. thats about the extent of my pre-trigger time fiddling.

everything from there on out involves sending copper jacketed lead down the tube with a bang :mrgreen:
plant_one

Postby Mort » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:56 pm

I always do. Quick and easy by placing the objective lens up against the bathroom mirror and centering the two different cross-hairs that you can see when looking into the scope. Room needs to be well lit and it's normally easiest on the lowest power setting. Or you can count total clicks to find the center too but that can take a while. Most decent quality scopes come out of the box very close to centered. With a well made (quality) scope mount and a centered scope your R to L is usually pretty close, within MOA or so. Your up and down may vary depending on what type of mount you use as some have varying amounts of rise built in for long range applications. The first upper I built, a 556, was about 5 MOA off left to right, truing the receiver fixed that.
Worst mount I have ever used was a Burris PERP, it was 21 MOA left, lapping it only made it 19 MOA left. The JP I replaced it with was dead nuts on at 50yds with the scope centered. Gun was my factory 20" 450 Bushmaster!!!
Mort

Return to AR15 Style Rifles