Factory ammo on deer?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Factory ammo on deer?

Postby dantheman » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:07 pm

In my experience the FTX either drops deer like the hammer of Thor or the deer reacts like it's been hit yet I can't find even a pin drop of blood anywhere. This is on shots under 50 yds.

I have some of the 200 grain Barnes that Hoot likes that I hope to try this year.

Dan
dantheman

Postby AboveTheBest » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:35 pm

We run the 250 XTP (non-mags) at around 2100 fps.
I’ve only recovered one bullet that stopped just on the inside of the hide after smashing through a couple of ribs.
Usually we just have pass-throughs and chest cavities that look like you ran a mix-master on the insides.

The bullet I recovered was separate from the jacket, which I also found in the deer. It basically turned into a broad head flying around inside the deer, pretty gruesome really. I didn’t weigh the bullet, but it seemed like it was mostly all there, and it just about doubled in size.
He who makes a beast of himself gives up the pain of being a man
AboveTheBest

Postby engineer40 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:17 am

Wow, looks like it's half and half. Some guys have great luck and some have horrible luck with the factory Hornady 250gr ammo.

Is there a difference between the Barnes TSX and XPB? Both are 275gr .451 all copper... I have some XPB bullets still from my 460SW magnum testing. Maybe I'll try some in my 450BM.

I had decent accuracy with the Hornady 300gr muzzle loading bullet when I loaded some on my 450BM. I wonder if that bullet would have better performance on game.

Thanks for everyone's opinions. Sincerely appreciated.
engineer40

Postby Bmt85 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:22 pm

Per Barnes:
275 XPB minimum velocity 1400fps
275 TSX minimum velocity 1200fps

Also, the XPB have 3 driving bands, the TSX have 2. I have noticed that the TSX seem to be a little cheaper most of the time.
Bmt85

Postby Robert FL » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:33 pm

I have taken a doe and a buck with the 250 ft, both passed thru. I took at least 5 or 6 hogs last year all passed thru. My buddy who typically makes good shots on game..shot a good big bodied buck at 110 yards, buck was quartered away. He trailed blood for 1/2 mile, said he found lung pieces. I was there for the last 160 yards, there was 4 plus inches of powder snow on the ground, we did not recover the deer. We both had Hornady black box 250 ftx. I shot my buck in upper neck, dropped him. He did get a nice buck later that week after the neighbors helped us look for the wounded buck on their property. He double lunged the second buck, he ran 60 yards.
Robert FL

Postby MoArk » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:19 pm

I have killed a couple of deer with the ftx. Both were heart shots, and total was maybe 35 yards of trailing between both deer. Ranges between 10-70 yards. I like the ftx ok for deer. Wouldn't use it on anything bigger. Am experimenting now with the 275 tsx. I really like it, just need to dial in my load. Also looking forward to Barnes' new 250 grain offering that is supposedly immanent. Either would easily supplant the ftx for me when I get the load right.
MoArk

Postby Papi » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:42 am

Fellow next door shot one last year at 15 yds got one lung and the heart ,deer ran over 100 yrs before it died . When he opened it up found that the bullet didn't open up , factory black 250s .
Papi

Postby Hoot » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:48 am

Papi wrote:Fellow next door shot one last year at 15 yds got one lung and the heart ,deer ran over 100 yrs before it died . When he opened it up found that the bullet didn't open up , factory black 250s .

Wow, at this point in my life, I doubt I could run flat out for 100 sec without dropping dead and I wouldn't even need to be shot!
sorry, couldn't resist... Image
But seriously. Animals that exist in the wild, have us beat hands down, on the will to survive.
All it takes to pile me up is an agonizing groin muscle cramp. At that point, I'm begging my wife to put me out of my misery. :o

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:46 pm

Papi wrote:Fellow next door shot one last year at 15 yds got one lung and the heart ,deer ran over 100 yrs before it died . When he opened it up found that the bullet didn't open up , factory black 250s .

he recovered a heart/lung shot bullet that was fired from 15 yds away and there was no exansion?

was it a squib?
plant_one

Postby Buckeye45 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:45 pm

There is such a thing as being too close. I’ve had this happen with a variety of calibers and bullet types. I personally don’t like shots under 25 yards based on my past experiences just like this, regardless of the caliber.
I will admit that I’m starting to loose faith in the factory ammo based on these reports. I’ve yet to connect with a deer and my 450 yet but am definitely rethinking my shot placement.
Buckeye45

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles