Bear Creek Arsenal....opinions from owners

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Bear Creek Arsenal....opinions from owners

Postby BIGDADDY » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:44 pm

I bought a 18 inch complete upper have not shot it yet first impression is that its very well made hopefully get the scope mounted and test fire it soon will report back when I do
BIGDADDY

Postby 303hunter » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:33 am

quad wrote:
Tunstal wrote:Mine has been good - it's plenty accurate for my uses and you can't beat the price when they are on sale.

Here's a link to my first range report - with a picture of a target when sighting in my scope at 75 yards:
http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15890

Tunstal

That’s what I’m hoping for!! I’d be happy lol. I just ordered the 16 inch. Now to figure out a magazine.

Thanks everyone for the help!!

Just buy a Lancer 5.56 mag and trim the front to clear the bullet. Mine work fine.
303hunter

Postby plant_one » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:56 am

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/76118 ... teel-black

buddy of mine has a couple of these, and they work just fine.

its just a 20 round straight body mag, modded with the cutout in the front lip and an extra standard 5.56/223 follower flipped upside down in the bottom of the mag to restrict the capacity to 5.
plant_one

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:05 pm

I have a bunch of those mags, no issues.

They put "crimps" on the edges to limit the follower travel to 5rds.
Al in Mi

Postby MarkTJ97 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:48 am

Recently got their 16" 450 Upper with 15" handgaurd. Fit very well onto a PSA-15 lower, no wiggle at all. Looked great too.

Unfortunately, the gun would not cycle, feed or eject! I tried all the tips I found on this site and nothing worked.

Finally decided to take it apart and measure the gas port. It was supposed to be .076" per specs but was actually .067". I stepped it up to .0785" (#47) and put it all back together.

Range results were absolutely perfect! Ran 80 rounds with no issues, ejected all 80 in a nice pile around 3:30/4:00 position. Accuracy with the Leupold 450 CDS Scope was impressive.

I would buy more from BCA but I would be ready to inspect carefully. I really should have returned the upper but I don't mind tinkering a bit. For my needs as a casual shooter/hunter BCA fits the bill just fine. Good luck with yours!
MarkTJ97

Postby quad » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:41 pm

MarkTJ97 wrote:Recently got their 16" 450 Upper with 15" handgaurd. Fit very well onto a PSA-15 lower, no wiggle at all. Looked great too.

Unfortunately, the gun would not cycle, feed or eject! I tried all the tips I found on this site and nothing worked.

Finally decided to take it apart and measure the gas port. It was supposed to be .076" per specs but was actually .067". I stepped it up to .0785" (#47) and put it all back together.

Range results were absolutely perfect! Ran 80 rounds with no issues, ejected all 80 in a nice pile around 3:30/4:00 position. Accuracy with the Leupold 450 CDS Scope was impressive.

I would buy more from BCA but I would be ready to inspect carefully. I really should have returned the upper but I don't mind tinkering a bit. For my needs as a casual shooter/hunter BCA fits the bill just fine. Good luck with yours!

Glad you got it figured out. Hopefully I don’t have that issue, but at least if so, I have some direction. When you drilled the gas port, is that meaning the hole in the barrel? If so, was it hard to keep the hole smooth inside the bore? Drilling sounds easy enough, but I’m worried about me having burrs or something. Thanks for your input!!
quad

Postby MarkTJ97 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:39 pm

Yes, the gas port is the small hole in the barrel, over which the gas block sits. I bought a cheap numbered drill bit index from Amazon and used a drill block to keep things straight. Deburred the outside of barrel, ran bore snake several passes, bullets should take care of the rest.

I will say, drilling should be your last resort. There is plenty of info on the forum for what else to check before voiding your warranty by drilling. Sending it back would be the better option for sure. But let's just be hopeful you won't have any issues at all! Let us know how she shoots when you get it in hand.
MarkTJ97

Postby quad » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:05 pm

MarkTJ97 wrote:Yes, the gas port is the small hole in the barrel, over which the gas block sits. I bought a cheap numbered drill bit index from Amazon and used a drill block to keep things straight. Deburred the outside of barrel, ran bore snake several passes, bullets should take care of the rest.

I will say, drilling should be your last resort. There is plenty of info on the forum for what else to check before voiding your warranty by drilling. Sending it back would be the better option for sure. But let's just be hopeful you won't have any issues at all! Let us know how she shoots when you get it in hand.

I have the upper currently. Overall appearance it looks satisfactory. I know looks mean nothing. I was searching for a reliable mag, and for everyone that had luck with one, someone else had issues. I decided to try my luck on a factory bushmaster 7 rounder. I would have been waiting forever if I just kept contemplating. Hopefully the mag will do well. What mag are you using? Thanks again for the help and advice.
quad

Postby MarkTJ97 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:47 pm

I am using these Lancer mags, with the 5.56 follower, no modifications needed for me:

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/lancer-l5-a ... azine.html

I agree with you that everyone's experience with mags seems to vary, just have to find what works.
MarkTJ97

Postby TonyRumore » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:48 pm

The magazine issue is quite complicated because there are a lot of 450BM uppers out there that are not made correctly. They have bolt problems, barrel extension problems, feedway problems, etc and the general assumption (which is incorrect) is that if the gun mis-feeds in any way, it CAN ONLY BE A MAGAZINE PROBLEM. Until this paradigm is squashed, we will continue to have guys reporting perfect functioning with one mag that doesn't work for someone else.

When you have an upper that is assembled with sketchy parts, it is possible to come up with a "bandaid" magazine that will actually allow the junk to work. Usually the mag is holding the rounds extra high, and tilted upward just the correct amount to work. But it's on the knife edge of allowing the rounds to feed too high as well as block the empty case from exiting the action during ejection and with 10 or so on board, the whole thing is starting to tail drag and risking a bolt-over situation. It's a balancing act, and most owners have no idea their equipment is on the ragged edge of malfunction. It works, so they're blissfully good to go and repeat that information over and over on the internet.

Tony
TonyRumore

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles