What bullet...

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

What bullet...

Postby the_mad_rshn » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:52 pm

Hey kind gents,

Let’s talk about "wants" and maybe some "do-it-already". Let's see what kind of bullet you want to push out of your AR.
I have a 300gr Lee bullet that I make out of wheel-weights. I really want this to become my primary shot for the gun [perfect hunting performance, plus it is way cheaper than buying them bullets. So what do you have to say? Please share.
Cheers,
Mad
the_mad_rshn

Re: What bullet...

Postby BD1 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:32 pm

There is a cast boolit thread in the reloading room. I've tried a few designs, and designed one specifically for the .450B. To date the best I've managed consistently is 2 1/2" @ 100 cast. So I'm still working on it. I'd like to try some of your lees, I looked for one of thier 300 grain WFN molds last summer. they were out of stock everywhere. how are they shooting for you? care to trade a few? The mold I designed on Mountain Molds web software drops at 290 grains with my WW alloy.

I've just moved back down south and it will be a week or two before I get my reloading stuff unpacked, and back up and runnning.

BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby the_mad_rshn » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:16 pm

BD1 wrote:how are they shooting for you? care to trade a few?
BD

I did not push them hard, but I would get a 2" groups using 2400.
I can cast a few for you if you want to. Do you have the gaschecks? You also would need to bake them to harden the alloy.

Cheers,
Mad
Cheers,
Mad
the_mad_rshn

Postby BD1 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:28 pm

I have checks. My goal is a weight near 300 grains and a velocity between 1,800 and 2,000 fps. To date my most consistent accuracy has been with my LFN design at about 1,850 fps. My current thinking is that I've made the nose too long in an attempt to fill the throat using a 300 grainer, leaving me short on bearing surface.

One dissapointment is that I have not had any luck at all with lighter weight cast boolits, even at "plinking" velocities. I'm feeling that a gas check is mandatory in the AR.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby the_mad_rshn » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:38 pm

With this pressure one must use gascheck, unless the alloy is harder than hell :-)
I am afraid that using only wheel weights is not hard enough to push the bullet at the magnum velocities even if you gascheck it and water quench it. But I will give it a try anyway.
Cheers,
Mad
the_mad_rshn

Return to AR15 Style Rifles