1st range trip, so,so. Thoughts.

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: 1st range trip, so,so. Thoughts.

Postby Hoot » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:21 pm

befus wrote:Hoot, I've been reloading 35+ years, so I gots the practice down. I already did what you mentioned if you read my post...snip

No I didn't read your post before posting my remark because we were typing at the same time. I was just a general info type post about what works for me.
Though the 275's have a foot in each powder's court (Lil Gun & H110/W296), my most accurate loads came with Lil Gun. The sensation from a shooter's perspective, between those two powders and the 275 are like night and day. Lil Gun seems much more violent than the slower powders. As far as which burn rate is best, the rifle will tell you what it prefers. I would never have tried 1680 with a 275 because it only burns around 85%. Just goes to show you that good results are not limited to powders that are theoretically (see sig) the optimum burn rate. No surprise their. I was breaking in my new 6XC barrel and wanted a real gentle load so I was shooting 75gr Vmax, over RL-26 which by all rights is way too slow to be good match. It shot lights out! Listen to the rifle. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Re: 1st range trip, so,so. Thoughts.

Postby befus » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:42 pm

Hoot wrote:
befus wrote:Hoot, I've been reloading 35+ years, so I gots the practice down. I already did what you mentioned if you read my post...snip

Though the 275's have a foot in each powder's court (Lil Gun & H110/W296), my most accurate loads came with Lil Gun. The sensation from a shooter's perspective, between those two powders and the 275 are like night and day. Lil Gun seems much more violent than the slower powders. As far as which burn rate is best, the rifle will tell you what it prefers. I would never have tried 1680 with a 275 because it only burns around 85%. Just goes to show you that good results are not limited to powders that are theoretically (see sig) the optimum burn rate. No surprise their. I was breaking in my new 6XC barrel and wanted a real gentle load so I was shooting 75gr Vmax, over RL-26 which by all rights is way too slow to be good match. It shot lights out! Listen to the rifle. ;)

Hoot

That is nice to know! I must admit as to being slightly uneasy (ok, very) at that contrast. Maybe I'll back off some and give it another look, it's only money! I think I went max in part because it was mentioned that LG was probably not ideal for a 275. I did see in the info I read that the 1680, despite some limitations evidently, was listed as having the highest velocity in almost every case of the powders tested. I was most disappointed in the 300 MP, which showed nothing. I will try it with the 275's as well as soon as I can get a second mortgage in order to buy some.....
Befus
NRA Life Member
US Army 1969-1972
Patriot
befus

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles