BCA 9mm trend (Locally)

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

BCA 9mm trend (Locally)

Postby bellwilliamaudie » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:16 pm

Things have been pretty good lately, well for at least the last few years. We are not big fans of the 5.56mm (except for resale.) A few years ago we purchased a .300 Blackout and it seems like everyone in the world HAD to have an AR in that caliber. And I enjoyed seeing many a fine rifle made in 6.5 and 6.8 caliber. Of course I had to have a .50 Beowulf and put one together; now it looks like EVERYBODY is in the process of getting a .450 Bushmaster (which is more affordable to load) and BCA has been unbelievably good with their offerings. (There was even a Nat Geo 'Preppers' show that had a guy in Houston playing poker with his family and they were using .450 Bushmaster cartridges to bet with!!!)

However a trip back home (to South Eastern Arizona) revealed a disturbing trend, at least to me. We went down to the American Legion post in Sierra Vista (LOVE the American Legion!!!) Found some old friends and acquaintances, including a Harley guy who was a Vietnam Veteran; he was badly wounded in Khe Sanh when the shelling went on for days and was discharged after serving only 8 months in the Corp.. I have total admiration and respect for him and my Son and I stand up when he comes into the room! (There are a lot of people at the American Legion that we stand up for when they enter the room!)

Well they know us as a family of gun nutz, so usually when we show up there is an exodus to the parking lot to show off the most recent purchases and projects.

Now the big thing is the AR9 and the Just Right Carbine, AR pistols and Rifles in 9mm using Glock magazines... There must have been 8 or 9 guys pulling partial projects or completed 9mm's from their saddle bags (it is legal to carry concealed in Arizona without a Concealed Carry Licence.) My boy and I had frozen smiles (as we REALLY don't have much respect for 9mm 'specially 9mm FMJ.) But hey they are second amendment people and many of these guys we consider our Heroes! We were told they like taking advantage of the cheap 9mm ammo deals! We were respectful and pretended enthusiasm for their purchases.

We have retold that experience, it seems to us that just about everybody we know either has one or has settled on a plan to get one for their next project?!?

Our experience (watching others) with the extended Glock magazines is that if they are left fully loaded they jam fairly regularly (which thankfully was what happened in the Gifford's assault in Tucson allowing some brave people to jump him and beat him, stopping his shooting rampage!)

I dunno' maybe we are dinosaurs who believe too much in overkill, but I can't wait for the next Big Bore trend to arrive! Hopefully it will replace the popularity of the mouse guns.

Let me add that if you are a big 9mm fan; God bless you! May you have many wonderful shooting events blessed with sunshine and pleasant weather at your range and we wish you sub M.O.A. groups in all of your days!

But respectfully, please forgive us for passing the movement by.

Thank you
bellwilliamaudie

Re: BCA 9mm trend (Locally)

Postby Bmt85 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:56 pm

Yeah, different areas will have a little bit different trends. The 9mm pistols/carbines overall, have had a pretty good growth over the past few years, especially with the Scorpion, MPX, and glock lower’s.

I’m with you, though. Don’t have much use for one, except as a range toy. Figure I’d get more performance out of a rifle round then a pistol round. I feel the same with 300blk, as well. I built a 300blk, honestly because I had everything to make the brass and ammo, so why not? I have shot it and loaded for it, but I can get more out of other cartridges in supersonics, and performance of subs is lacking, in my opinion. So, I’m actually going to be selling it here soon.
Bmt85

Postby bellwilliamaudie » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:59 pm

Bmt85 yes FAL's made the rounds in our Family when we were all young, so when we went to the .300 Blackout we already had most of what we needed to make the rounds. Everytime we go out shooting the .300 Blackout we find something else to fall in love with! We have 42 round magazines for it and they function flawlessly (as long as you don't store it for long periods fully loaded.) We usually loaded the 150 Grain JSP's at 2250 F.P.S. for 1686 F.P. at the muzzle.) The last time we were down Tucson way we got to try out a suppressed version with a dealer friend of ours and man was that pure joy!!! We were firing the awesome Lehigh round and it was a pure joy!!! Really felt like a whole different weapon system! (Very similar to the opportunity we had in Arkansas years ago shooting a suppressed Grease gun and EVERYBODY fell absolutely in love with the thing! It used screen material for the wipes.)

I didn't know you could advertise rifles for sale here. If you don't mind me asking where can we find those listings? My Dad made us promise him years ago before he died (Fallujah,) that we would not sell any of our firearms. But we certainly still purchase them.
bellwilliamaudie

Postby Blackedout12v » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:26 pm

Shooting them cost less $$$ if round count is kept reasonable. I imagine that has a lot to do with their popularity everywhere. The great thing is right now we have so many options to appeal to a wide variety of people at relatively affordable prices. I personally have a affliction for large magnum rifles, so the 9mms don't really do anything to peak my interest. But to each their own.
Blackedout12v

Postby Hoot » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:32 am

bellwilliamaudie wrote:
...snip...I didn't know you could advertise rifles for sale here. If you don't mind me asking where can we find those listings?...snip...

The Market sub-forum.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:13 am

ive got a non-ar 9mm carbine - one of the hi-point especials - and they're fun to shoot as a range toy.

iffin it was a bit more compact it could also be a good truck/tractor gun as well.

ive considered assembling an ar-pistol with one so i could use a shorter barrel. If i had a SBR lower - i'd have one already.

yes 9mm FMJ is absolute garbage when it comes to metal meeting meat...

but for punching holes in paper and making ar-500 go *ding!* repeatedly... its a nice cheap way to spend some time at the range.
plant_one

Postby bellwilliamaudie » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:11 am

Thanks Hoot and plant_one!
bellwilliamaudie

Postby plant_one » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:27 am

Blackedout12v wrote:Shooting them cost less $$$ if round count is kept reasonable. I imagine that has a lot to do with their popularity everywhere.

cost per round really comes into the calculation when you have <X> budget to play with for the day.

if you've got $50 to play with, you're gonna get a helluva lot more trigger pulls of 9mm than you are 450 bushmaster or 308.

just for example.... you're trying to take a couple kids to the range for the afternoon - its the difference of everyone getting to shoot 15-20 rounds, or everyone getting to shoot 100+ rounds for your $50 ammo budget.
plant_one

Postby bellwilliamaudie » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:50 pm

My Dad used to go to the Circle K stores in Arizona in the '60's. They would sell individual rounds from the ammo boxes and he could get 2, .22 shorts for a penny as opposed to 1, .22 Long or Long Rifle cartridge for a penny. He used to say 'Just because you can carry more and afford more .22 Shorts for the money meant absolutely nothing to him as they could not be used to reliably defend your life.' (He'd spend the 20 cents each to buy the .45 Colt cartridges for his Model of 1909 Colt Double Action, when he couldn't get .45 Auto for free from the Marine and Navy Reserve units on Alvernon and 22nd Street in Tucson.) He bought us all Lee Loaders (and Keith Style bullet Molds that we cast up on Saturday afternoons) when we were growing up and we could reload our .357's in the field and 50 rounds went a long way. (I still have a bunch of Super Vel brass left over from that time period.)

9mm back then were only purchased by the Veterans who had war trophies retrieved from the WWI and WWII battlefields (with the exception of the Illinois State Patrol.) My Dad was NOT a fan of the 9mm even the early 100 Grain Power Point (JSP) from Winchester.

He bought a Hi Power ONCE (a Belgian Renaissance model) and resold it un-fired a few years later tripling his investment.
bellwilliamaudie

Return to AR15 Style Rifles