Ruger Ar 450 Bushmaster tight chamber

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Ruger Ar 450 Bushmaster tight chamber

Postby Lar45 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:13 pm

Hi guys, I recently got a Ruger AR in 450 Bushmaster.
I think that mine has a tight chamber.
I was shooting yesterday and had the rifle jam on a loaded round. It was about 1/2" short of going all the way in.
I cleaned the barrel and chamber squeaky clean, then tried to drop a Hornady factory 250 FTX into the chamber and it stopped about 3/8" out. I was able to push it all the way in with a finger, but it wouldn't fall out when I tipped the barrel up.
I put the rifle back together and it would feed and chamber with the spring loaded bolt.
Any thoughts on what to do now?
Send it back to Ruger? Or is it supposed to be that tight.
Lar45

Re: Ruger Ar 450 Bushmaster tight chamber

Postby Hoot » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:34 pm

Welcome Aboard Lars!

I bought a barrel that had that same issue. Took me a week of evenings lapping it to SAAMI spec. Don't go there, send it back!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Lar45 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:45 pm

Just got off the phone with Ruger, they are sending UPS to pick it up.
Lar45

Postby 303hunter » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:47 pm

Lar45 wrote:Just got off the phone with Ruger, they are sending UPS to pick it up.

Ruger will take care of you. Best customer service in the business.
303hunter

Postby plant_one » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:23 pm

in this day an age - its often times the best answer to send it back and let the manufacturer make it right instead of modding it yourself to correct a defect.

yes i know that you can probably fix it yourself with just some elbow grease - but then you've also voided any warranty on it, and if something were to happen to you you've just given the manufacturers lawyer an easy out in court - should such an outcome be necessary. it also provides you a legal shield should you decide at some point to sell it, forget that you'd modified it and an incident should happen to occur with its new owner for some reason.
plant_one

Postby Lar45 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:18 am

Well, it took a few phone calls to Ruger to finally get UPS to come last week.
I got an email from Ruger and they received the rifle yesterday.

I'm kind of anxious and ready to get it back already to see if it is still as accurate.
I'll try to be patient...
Lar45

Postby Lar45 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:09 pm

I just got an email from Ruger, they said that it's done and should be delivered tomorrow.
They didn't say what was done, so I called them. The notes say that the tech honed the chamber and test fired 15 times. I hope that cured it.
One of my first things I'll do once I get a scope mounted and sighted in, is to shoot a target with Hornady 250FTX and see if there is any appeciable change in accuracy.
This is the before target.
Lar45

Postby Hoot » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:02 pm

Don't take this the wrong way but even the sun shines on a dog's a$$ some days. I hope your barrel shoots as good as it did before sending it in but until you can shoot 5) 5-shot groups of the same quality, that stellar sample of 1 is statistically pretty insignificant. In other words, take all the 5-shot groups that rifle has put out so far, measure them and find an average for them all, to temper your expectations once you get it back. Even then, if you're like me and do everything in your power to throw good groups, you can still have lackluster results if its just not a good day for you to be at the range. I know I've had days like that. Incredibly frustrating when its happening, especially on the heels of a good outing the time before, under the same conditions.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:27 am

Hoot wrote: Even then, if you're like me and do everything in your power to throw good groups, you can still have lackluster results if its just not a good day for you to be at the range. I know I've had days like that. Incredibly frustrating when its happening, especially on the heels of a good outing the time before, under the same conditions.

Hoot

been there, done that!

i was at the range a couple years ago. fairly empty as i had a weekday off so i poped in early afternoon. shooting a known good load and couldnt get a group under 1 ¼" or so, and most were 1½ or a little more.

got pretty frustrated and was packing up when the RSO came over and asked how my day was going. "bah, cant shoot for crap today, so i'm just heading home.. one of those days yanno?"

"can i see your targets?" "whoah these are some nice groups! what are you complaining about"

"this load in this gun typically shoots just under 3/4" or so"

"oh... ya.. ok i can see why you're frustrated"
plant_one

Return to AR15 Style Rifles