lower recommendation

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: lower recommendation

Postby BillytheKid » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:54 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
BillytheKid wrote:My brother gifted to me a Yankee Hill Machine stripped lower to start my .450b build. I have been very happy with it.

Tell me more about that Yankee Hill lower. I could pick one up
Tomorrow if I knew for a fact it was gonna be a precision machining
and fit. I'm sort of wondering about the finish and if it will match
the finish of my Bushmaster Uppers. And for the price, I could buy
two.

The best I can do is show you. If you haven't seen them already, here are a couple of videos of my YHM lower with my .450b upper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQAx6dG-CLc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llaCD3hKYos

As with any lower, you should tape certain areas over to prevent scratching of the finish when you initially install parts.

Bill
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:58 pm

Nice stock! Does it use a rifle spring and buffer and did it come with the tube? Where did ya buy it and how much?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:16 am

My tax person called me and had some good news!
So.... Gunnut, get me a stock ready, and now I'm almost
positive I'm gonna build two lowers. One lower will be for
the Thumper and the other I can really take my time on
and slowly build a really sweet standby.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:17 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Nice stock! Does it use a rifle spring and buffer and did it come with the tube? Where did ya buy it and how much?

Thanks Bro!

The Fab Defense Sniper Stock was a gift from my son returning home from Afghanistan. I dont think the stock came with tube and spring, but my son gave a standard rifle tube, spring, and buffer to me as well.

Somehing I didn't mention in the video, the butt pad is much more shock absorbent than other AR 15 stocks I have tried.

Bill
BillytheKid

Postby Hoot » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:44 am

BillytheKid wrote:...snip...
The Fab Defense Sniper Stock was a gift from my son returning home from Afghanistan. I dont think the stock came with tube and spring, but my son gave a standard rifle tube, spring, and buffer to me as well.

Something I didn't mention in the video, the butt pad is much more shock absorbent than other AR 15 stocks I have tried.

Bill

Bill, that is the only non-A2 stock that ever caught my eye. How does the recoil pad compare to say a Limbsaver? Is the plastic it's made from firm or "plasticky"? Do the extendable parts lock firmly in place? Are they "sloppy"? For what they go for, they would have to be nicely made for me to find my wallet.

Thanks,

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:43 am

Hoot wrote:

Something I didn't mention in the video, the butt pad is much more shock absorbent than other AR 15 stocks I have tried.

Bill

Bill, that is the only non-A2 stock that ever caught my eye. How does the recoil pad compare to say a Limbsaver? Is the plastic it's made from firm or "plasticky"? Do the extendable parts lock firmly in place? Are they "sloppy"? For what they go for, they would have to be nicely made for me to find my wallet.

Thanks,

Dittos to what Hoot said! Share your knowledge of that stock!
Lower # 2 may just end up with one.
Hoot
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:53 am

BillytheKid wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Nice stock! Does it use a rifle spring and buffer and did it come with the tube? Where did ya buy it and how much?

Thanks Bro!

Somehing I didn't mention in the video, the butt pad is much more shock absorbent than other AR 15 stocks I have tried.

Bill

I googled it.
http://www.fab-defense.com/en/category- ... -sr25.html
Looks like it runs from $188.00 to $200.00
Somewhere between "ouch" and "poing!"
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby BillytheKid » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:18 pm

Hoot wrote:

Bill

Thanks,

Hoot

I've never used a limbsaver, so I can't make a comparison, sorry. But, I can push the rubber in with my thumb if I press firmly, and it reduces felt recoil much better than my brothers MagPul stock.

Being a "pistol guy" I don't have as much rifle experience as you guys do, but, to me, the plastic feels solid. The adjustable cheek comb clicks solidly in place. The mono-pod has some "wiggle" room, which at first I thought I would not like. However, once I shot it, I greatly appreciated the bit of play that allowed me to adjust my point of aim without having to drag that third leg over.

There are two things that may be an issue for some:
1) A sharp blow to the stock can sometimes cause the mono-pod to prodrude a little.
2) The stock does not allow for the instalation of a sling point where the tube meets the receiver.

Bill
BillytheKid

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:51 am

BillytheKid wrote:

Thanks Bro!

Bill

Did the stock come with it's own stock spacer and screw,
or did you use the existing parts you already had?
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby BillytheKid » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:20 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote: Did the stock come with it's own stock spacer and screw,
or did you use the existing parts you already had?

I didn't remember, so I called my son, and he couldn't remember, but, while I was talking to him, he emailed FAB Defense and asked.

So, as soon as we hear from them, Ill post the answer for you.

Bill
BillytheKid

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles