* NEW * Hornady 245gr Interlock American Whitetail

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

* NEW * Hornady 245gr Interlock American Whitetail

Postby plant_one » Thu May 23, 2019 4:37 pm

So hornady finally released a soft point hunting load, in their "interlock" line of bullets for the 450 bushmaster.

pending real world results, this could turn out to be a game-changer for those who experienced cup/core separations with the 250 ftx

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifl ... itetail#!/

plant_one

Re: * NEW * Hornady 245gr Interlock American Whitetail

Postby Al in Mi » Thu May 23, 2019 7:35 pm

I'd sure like to cut one up to see, but has to be better than the FTX. Hope they offer it as a component too!
Al in Mi

Postby plant_one » Sat May 25, 2019 9:48 am

they always seem to be about a year back on components after their ammo release, in my experience anyway. that is of course if they're releasing a product as ammo and not a specific component - ie: the new ELD-x hunting bullets. thosee went straight to market as a reloading piece... although im guessing that was because they were introducing a new product line and not adding an item into an existing product line.

this being a new addition to an existing product line... "here's some ammo, we'll let you reloaders have at it in a year-ish"

they did the same with the .308 135gr ftx they released for blackout...
plant_one

Postby Hoot » Fri May 31, 2019 12:45 pm

plant_one wrote:...snip...

Never heard of those! Ordered some to try with my 7.62x40 and 30 RAR. Also ordered some of those 220gr FMJ Factory Seconds for the 450b, just because unlike other FMJs for this caliber, they have cannelures to crimp down into. The 200gr Speer TMJ's that I ordered for my 1911 did not work out for the 450b, so that Range Report was scrapped before it got out of the reloading room.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:20 am

Hoot wrote:
plant_one wrote:...snip...

Never heard of those! Ordered some to try with my 7.62x40 and 30 RAR. Also ordered some of those 220gr FMJ Factory Seconds for the 450b, just because unlike other FMJs for this caliber, they have cannelures to crimp down into. The 200gr Speer TMJ's that I ordered for my 1911 did not work out for the 450b, so that Range Report was scrapped before it got out of the reloading room.

Hoot

I’m glad I read this. I grabbed 3 bags yesterday. LOL.
And it’s good to know about those Speer 200s I would have eventually tried them myself. I used the same Speer TMJ in my 357 mag in 180 grain for when I was in colorado bear country during mule deer hunts.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:52 pm

The cannelured FMJs arrived today and they look pretty good. Of course, good looks don't always account for good ideas. At least they're something new to take for a spin. Hope to find out how they fly this coming Saturday. Weather should be perfect.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Hoot » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:48 pm

Hoot wrote:The cannelured FMJs arrived today and they look pretty good. Of course, good looks don't always account for good ideas. At least they're something new to take for a spin. Hope to find out how they fly this coming Saturday. Weather should be perfect.

Hoot

Yes Virginia, good looks only count for so much. Despite getting good crimps on them, these 220 FMJ's did not group as much as they patterned. Oh well, you gotta try to occasionally find a diamond in the rough. I didn't crack the code on them, but they shot faster than QuickLoad predicted and so they began their velocity ladder where I expected them to finish. Maybe a re-visit with lower velocities would be in order. I do know that running them faster and faster didn't make them look like they were headed toward tightening up.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby ScottyPotty » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:19 pm

If this is anything like the .444 marlin 265gn FP bullet it should be a great hunting bullet.
ScottyPotty

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:34 pm

Hoot wrote:
Hoot wrote:The cannelured FMJs arrived today and they look pretty good. Of course, good looks don't always account for good ideas. At least they're something new to take for a spin. Hope to find out how they fly this coming Saturday. Weather should be perfect.

Hoot

Yes Virginia, good looks only count for so much. Despite getting good crimps on them, these 220 FMJ's did not group as much as they patterned. Oh well, you gotta try to occasionally find a diamond in the rough. I didn't crack the code on them, but they shot faster than QuickLoad predicted and so they began their velocity ladder where I expected them to finish. Maybe a re-visit with lower velocities would be in order. I do know that running them faster and faster didn't make them look like they were headed toward tightening up.

Hoot

Hey man. I’m about to load up these 220 for some bench tests of my own. Where did you start and where did you leave off?
Is there a range report I can review?
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:15 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Hey man. I’m about to load up these 220 for some bench tests of my own. Where did you start and where did you leave off?
Is there a range report I can review?

Not ignoring you TSD, I can't find where I left my 450b range notes book with all my notes in it. Its around here somewhere, just misplaced it for the moment.

Hoot
Hoot

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles