Why 450B?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Why 450B?

Postby bushmeister » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:06 pm

I've been an avid hunter (deer/hog/turkey/duck) for 25 years. I started with my winchester M1 carbine on deer, and have killed more deer with that rifle than I can remember. I moved to a 7mm magnum 15 yrs ago with good success, but always hated the long rifle hanging on every vine/limb. For the last two years, I went back to the 30 carbine, hunting only in places with 75 yd shots or less (it's realistic kill zonefor deer), loving it, but really didn't like compromising manueverability in the brush for distance. I wanted a big bore that would do both brush, and carry 1k worth of energy out to 200 yds accurately, and be able to shoot without fear of excessive recoil. I stumbled upon the 450 while doing an internet search on the 458 socom. I fell in love with the ballistics. :D Edit.. here is a pic of my favorite hunting rounds 30 carbine 110g hollowpoint, and 450 bushmaster 250g flextip.
P8210322.JPG
P8210322.JPG (73.79 KiB) Viewed 12913 times
Last edited by bushmeister on Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bushmeister

Postby wildcatter » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:59 pm

MADONE64 wrote:I would like to say that I just like the AR platform (Which I do) or I just liked the ballistics of the 450B cartridge(Which I do), but when I am totally honest with myself, I guess the main reason I bought one was just the look on the guys face next to you at the range when he thinks you have just pulled another everyday .223 out of the case, and then hears and feels the first BOOM! hit him in the face when you squeeze the trigger. :D Or to have the guy you meet walking out of the deer woods take one look at the rifle strapped to your chest, and say WHAT THE H%LL is THAT???? I know this is childish, but hey. Were all big kids at heart. :lol:

I know exactly what you are talking about. I opened the doors for business in 1990, after years of R&D (inventing the Big Bore Craze and the 45 Professional/450Bushmaster, in specific, in the mid-1980's) with the many projects that I have brought to fruition (Hey bushmeister, and that included M-1 Carbines that shoot the 45 Winchester Magnums, 50AE's, and many other cartridges, also, M1Garand/M14's-that are magazine feed, with any magnum cartridge you can name). In going to the various Gun Shows, it was always a treat to see what you have described and we came to call it the "LeMAG EFFECT" or the total "Shock& Awe" one See's when a surprised shooter finally figures out what you are showing them.
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby NordicRX8 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:08 am

+1 to many of the reasons already stated... cept I wish I got in on the "tax" sale uppers. :(

BD1 wrote:I think I have been looking for the attributes of the .45 acp in a rifle for a long time: An auto loader in a widely used and available platform, familiar to me; Lower pressure levels= long brass life; Slower twist= no downside to using cast boolits, (long barrel life); happy with a wide range of bullet designs and a broad spectrum of readily available powders.

I've owned a variety of handguns in a fair range of chamberings. Yet, if you add up all the rounds I've fired, the .45 acp, (out of 1911s), is nearing 100,000 and all of the others combined probably don't amount to 20,000. I'm looking for that same shooting enjoyment and practicality in a long gun. Here's hoping the .450B can fill the bill.
BD

Wow... that's eerie. Very similar reason I went with the .450

I once owned a large diverse gun collection, but only really enjoyed shooting .22LR pistol and rifles and a Norinco "Copy of the 1911". When I started reloading (of out necessity), I decided I was going to get my initial setup going for .45acp. As time went on, I slowly sold off and traded all my centerfire non .45acp and/or anything not 1911 patterned guns for various different 1911 clones (yes, I drank the JMB koolaid). After awhile, I wanted more power for handgun hunting, so a L.A.R. Grizzly was purchased. Although it was fun and reloading for it was also enjoyable, it was a massive gun, and uncomfortable to wield... a buddy adopted it and I still reload for it. Next came the Rowland... first a mechtech carbine (which also shoots .45 acp without a fuss), and then a Clark .460 Rowland drop in kit installed on a Kimber. Pushing a 230gr XTP or Gold Dot at 1650fps out of the mechtech still isn't enough!!! :lol:
The straight walled .450B was my next obvious choice. :twisted: Although I already had several EBRs I could have mated an upper to, I purchased a complete 20" Thumper. Now that I have one, it stinks that my state doesn't allow rifles on deer... I guess its a hog gun now. ;)
A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
NordicRX8

Postby MADONE64 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:42 pm

Hey wildcatter,

Whats the biggest caliber you've ever put in an M-14????

The "what if" hairs on the back of my neck just started going WHOO WHOO!!!
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" Benjamin Franklin
MADONE64

Postby wildcatter » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:27 pm

MADONE64 wrote:Hey wildcatter,

Whats the biggest caliber you've ever put in an M-14????

The "what if" hairs on the back of my neck just started going WHOO WHOO!!!

300wm, 338win-mag, 375's, 458win-mag, some wildcats, and a cartridge that went to 70cal, based on the 50bmg case, currently it is a three shot semi-auto, in bad need of a recoil reducer (i forget just now, but it seems like it was in the area of 12,000-15,000 ft-lbs), etc. I figured out how to get full length Magnum's in a m14 or a garand, that kind of thing. When I get caught up some I plan to get back into those other weapons.
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby gunnut » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:22 pm

WC! I think I can help you out with the recoil reduction! I've been working in that field and have made some great progress. PM me. Let's talk.
gunnut

Postby 2zero6 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:29 pm

If u ever just cant take or solve the recoil I'll gladly take it off your hands free of charge. :D
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby demo_450 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:38 am

My .223 is useless as a hunting rifle so I was looking at the 50 cal. New York State is in the process of trying to pass a 50 cal ban so I went with the Bushmaster. Also Bushmaster has a great company.
Also the 452 round is familiar to me for reloading. I load 45 colt and 45 ACP. I bought 1000 rounds of 230 grain bullets and assumed the 450 would be able to throw them.
Want to go up to the adirandacks looking for Bear....450 is the perfect round for deer and bear IMO :evil:
demo_450

Postby wildcatter » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:38 pm

2zero6 wrote:If u ever just cant take or solve the recoil I'll gladly take it off your hands free of charge. :D

Of course 206, and thanks for the help. But in the mean time I need a recoil victim, can you come over here, it'll only take one round before you need a mortician and we have plenty of them here, make ya look purr-dy??
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Postby 2zero6 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:27 pm

wildcatter wrote:
2zero6 wrote:If u ever just cant take or solve the recoil I'll gladly take it off your hands free of charge. :D

Of course 206, and thanks for the help. But in the mean time I need a recoil victim, can you come over here, it'll only take one round before you need a mortician and we have plenty of them here, make ya look purr-dy??

Some reason I feel like this would happen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBe2Um9Om3w
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles