I love my Thumper but

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: I love my Thumper but

Postby PyroRobby » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:34 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:Well. I really don’t want to discuss ... Yet that buck
Had enough adrenaline in him to make it that far.
As for actual CNS shock. He should have dropped in his tracks, but I didn’t hit anything close to his CNS.
BF41A955-014F-40D5-AA3F-ED2363B5EE89.jpeg

Just amazing, yeah I guess no magic bullets.
Gun control is using both hands, good gun control is hitting your target precisely.
PyroRobby

Postby PyroRobby » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:08 am

Bmt85 wrote:
I think Savage is so inexpensive because ...

Anyways, sorry to derail the thread. I’m not trying to push you away from the 450, I love the cartridge, that’s why I have 2 dedicated lowers and 4 uppers. :D

The 200 XPB is a great bullet. Does great inside 100yds, maybe 150yd, depending on muzzle speed. It has a low b.c. and needs a minimum of 1800fps to expand, IIRC. So if you can SAFELY push it to 2500fps or better, it should fit your needs perfectly.

That was a nice rifle by the way!

Np, I started talking about the MSR10, lol

Yeah, it is good to hear feedback because I don't know. Spec and on paper; but not in hand and dunno, gotta get opinions to see what folks know that I don't.
The 450B is very interesting and I think it has a lot of utility. I think it will do the intended job of a bush rifle, very well.

Per the Fairbanks Hospital data I have seen and bear attacks, they stated use something bigger than a .44 magnum. The new trend in Alaska seems to be going to the 10mm. I have a 10mm, the Tanfoglio Witness Hunter. Because it is a double stack mag and capacity matters. If the Hospital data concludes go bigger than a .44; but the trend is 10mm, to me this implies it really wasn't caliber, it was a hit to the CNS that stopped the huge predator. Bleed out takes too long, so you have to hit the off switch. The energy of the round needs to be able to get to the CTS though and not bounce off the skull or get deflected away by the underbrush. Where it is popular for the chest basket carry of a S&W 500, I am told the .45 long colt and the .454 Casull are plenty enough and more easily controllable. What I summarize is that being able to control the recoil and get the followup shot quickly is really important, so this is where the AR platform shines. Muzzel break, recoil buffer, recoil pad and easy to aim and get the hit, is inherent to the pluses of the AR platform. If all those other pistol rounds do the job, the 450B has to as well and the AR platform offers better recoil dampening, plus accuracy.

Yeah, 450B makes a lot of sense. Now all I need to do is figure out my favorite load. The .308,it isn't as much the bush gun, it is what I think I would go to for the 100- 200 yard hogging. I think I can do with the 450B what I had the 12ga slugger in mind for, and get a .308 for the little bit longer shots for the open field hunting. No reason I can't have both and I think the 450B will turn out to be the better brush tool than a 12ga slug shotty. Looks like head-shots and or a thermal ocular need to be considered now too.
Gun control is using both hands, good gun control is hitting your target precisely.
PyroRobby

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:17 am

Spent 3 weeks in Ak a year ago, 75% of the guys I met on a river carried Glock 20 10mm and either Buffalo Bore or Underwood hard cast bullets. Only seen a couple revolvers and a few with spray.

I can tell you first hand, once you seen a brown at 60yds in the river, anything your carrying will be too small. Suckers are huge.
Al in Mi

Postby PyroRobby » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:33 pm

Al in Mi wrote:Spent 3 weeks in Ak a year ago, 75% of the guys I met on a river carried Glock 20 10mm and either Buffalo Bore or Underwood hard cast bullets. Only seen a couple revolvers and a few with spray.

I can tell you first hand, once you seen a brown at 60yds in the river, anything your carrying will be too small. Suckers are huge.

yeah, very big and I agree, what ever I was carrying and knowing how things don't just always drop when shot, it gets really scary that situation. Let the bear sleep, walkaway quietly and quickly.
PyroRobby

Postby PyroRobby » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:24 pm

Bear rifle?
https://onlylongrange.com/bn36x3-carbine-30-06/

BN36X3 - Carbine (.30-06) $1,895.00

I was just wondering, thought I had seen a 30-06 AR platform. I guess if I was worried about invasive brown bear herds destroying my farm in AK ...
I think I will stick with hogging here in TX and the 450B.
PyroRobby

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:48 pm

They make in 300 win mag too ;)
Al in Mi

Postby PyroRobby » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:05 pm

Al in Mi wrote:They make in 300 win mag too ;)

:mrgreen:
PyroRobby

Postby messer454 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:16 pm

I am a little late to this discussion but I have a little experience I guess. I live in Ohio so I grew up using slug only for deer. About 6 years ago we started to be allowed to use straight wall cartridges but .450 was almost purposely excluded it seems. I shot three deer with a .45-70. Two of them were within 50 yards and were double lung hits without hitting the leg. Both of them ran less than 40 yards. Two years ago the .450 became legal and I jumped on with a Ruger American. I had a deer running toward me (adrenaline high) I shot it double lung with no leg hit and it turned tail and ran almost 100 yards before it stopped. All of the above bullets expanded and penetrated through and through. Looking back on my hunting experiences with slugs. The only ones that dropped on the spot were head, spine, or through at least one leg with the vitals.

Now I have hunted hogs three times. First time was with a .308 bolt action. I aimed right behind the shoulder like I would for a deer. The shock dropped the pig and it died quickly as it was pretty close. However I found that I had destroyed the guts also because the heart and lungs are actually very small and are hidden by the legs. They are in a different spot from deer.

The next two times were with a 7.62x39 AR and a 6.8 AR. Through a leg would slow them down but it took a neck (big section of spine there) or head shot to drop them. Often pigs that I had rolled and I knew I had hit center mass, got up and ran away with no blood trail. My guide said that the hide and fat just close back up a lot of times and don't leave blood.

So from my experience one shot stops are few even on deer without a head or neck shot. They are even fewer on pigs. I agree with you though. I prefer my less recoil 6.8 for pig hunting as I feel I can be more precise with follow up shots. The .450 is for Ohio where I have to use straight wall.
messer454

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles