What's wrong? Ammo or gun?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

What's wrong? Ammo or gun?

Postby Hubcap52 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:39 pm

Had an interesting day at the range Saturday. I went to test out some 450BM loads and also some Hornady factory (2 different lots). Out of 9 rounds of factory, only 6 fired, and then some of those only after repeated attempts. Every one of my handloads ran fine (some 250 FTX's, Lee 310 gr. cast), 16 total. The factory's all had primer strikes, but no ignition. I'm baffled. Your insights??? :?
Hubcap52

Re: What's wrong? Ammo or gun?

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:59 pm

Sounds like a headspace issue or weak hammer spring.

Check length of those new cases.
Al in Mi

Postby Hubcap500 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:11 pm

I think I solved the problem. Haven't taken it to the range yet to verify, but some :oops: IDIOT :oops: installed the hammer spring up-side-down. :cry: Hammer is noticeably stiffer now. :D
Hubcap500

Postby Al in Mi » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:22 am

Yea I hate it when other half of me does things like that :shock:
Al in Mi

Postby gunner1 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:08 pm

Hubcap500 wrote:I think I solved the problem. Haven't taken it to the range yet to verify, but some :oops: IDIOT :oops: installed the hammer spring up-side-down. :cry: Hammer is noticeably stiffer now. :D

You're lucky it didn't double or triple on you...
gunner1

Postby offrink » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:03 pm

gunner1 wrote:
Hubcap500 wrote:I think I solved the problem. Haven't taken it to the range yet to verify, but some :oops: IDIOT :oops: installed the hammer spring up-side-down. :cry: Hammer is noticeably stiffer now. :D

You're lucky it didn't double or triple on you...

That would be an exciting experience!
offrink

Postby plant_one » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:19 pm

only if you didnt have the fun police on hand when it happend.

sadly, because of how the NFA Laws are written - even if its unintentional - if your gun fires more than once per trigger pull you're technically in posession of a post-86 illegally manufactured machine gun. the "why" it did it is almost completely irrelevant, especailly if you're dealing with an officer whos out to make your life hell.

thats also for example why taking a stone to your trigger engagement points to smooth them out in a homebrew trigger job is so risky .... those surfaces are only case hardened a few thousandths thick... take too much off, trigger wears due to non hardened surfaces, and suddenly you have a surprise in your hands. and if the wrong person is there when it happens - that surprise is going to be handcuffs and your phone calling your lawyer.

so if they were to catch you with a trigger spring installed incorrectly that caused a firearm to double, triple, or even mag dump - and it wasnt basically a brand new completely unmodified from the factory gun - you could easily end up in real hot water over an totally innocent mistake with a spring. the simple technicality that you COULD have done so intentionally is all it takes to end up in a bad place - both legally and financially speaking. and it would be their word against yours.
plant_one

Postby Hubcap52 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:53 pm

Yep, it's 'mazin what correct assembly procedures will produce. Works fine now. Thanks, guys.
Hubcap52

Return to AR15 Style Rifles