Best way to install a Ross brake?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Best way to install a Ross brake?

Postby gunner1 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:40 am

I sent my money order in yesterday for a 450 Bushmaster Ross brake (PayPal closed his account on him.) What's the recommended way to install? I tried searching online for crush washers/shims but came up empty. I've read in the forums something about using teflon tape. Is that the go to method?
gunner1

Re: Best way to install a Ross brake?

Postby Bmt85 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:31 pm

Badger Ridge makes a shim set. Not perfect depending on barrel and size of the shoulder on the barrel, but works, and the way I went.

Another way is a bunch of wraps of teflon tape. I tried this a couple times, but didn't really like the results.

You could also try boring out a 5/8" crushwasher.

Thdere is a thread on the Badger shim kits on this forum.
Bmt85

Postby plant_one » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:10 pm

black hi temp RTV silicone on the threads. de-grease real well before you do, etc.

i put blue painters tape on the brake and the barrel so i wouldnt end up with silicone schmooed everywhere.

put a relatively thin coat on the male threads (all the way around), install and index the brake, wipe excess off with your finger, remove tape.

let dry for 24-48 hours.

aint come loose yet, and i've got a few hundred rounds down the tube since then.
plant_one

Postby offrink » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:01 pm

On my Bushy I put anti seize on it and hand tightened, then a little boost with a screwdriver on the flats (diamond shaped goat turns into a standard tip). After 250-300 rounds it hasn’t budged. No washers needed to get it clocked correctly.
offrink

Return to AR15 Style Rifles