NoOb Reporting In

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

NoOb Reporting In

Postby SteveHlhn » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:53 pm

Hey Y'all, a .450 Bushy NoOb here, still accumulating parts for my rifle build. While I have no experience with the Bushy, this will be my tenth AR build but I may have some specific questions as I move along.
So far I have:
Bushmaster B.F.I. 20" carbine length gas chrome lined barrel.
.450 Bushmaster bolt from a member of another forum
PSA Bolt Carrier. 5.56 bolt for my spares box
Aero Precision XL stripped upper
Black Creek Precision stripped lower
Anderson LPK
Forward Assist button and a dust cover
Slim M-lok 10" Hand Guard
Tactical Ammunition Adjustable gas Block
.450 Bushmaster specific magazine, 7 rd I think from the same member as the bolt

Still to buy:
A2 Stock with rifle buffer and spring
Ambi Charge Handle
Kaw Valley Sound Forwarder/Flash Hider
JP Spring Kit

As far as glass I have a Bushnell 1X4X28 I am thinking about mounting to it.

Thats about it, other than some ammo. What does the Forum say? Anything I left out? Need to rethink?

Thanks!
Steve H.
SteveHlhn

Re: NoOb Reporting In

Postby SteveHlhn » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:32 am

I have this Kaw Valley sound forwarder (11/16X24 threads) on my .45ACP PCC and it does a good job keeping noise down and I like the looks. I am shopping around for it and was wondering if anyone has seen it cheaper anywhere beside Joe Bob's. I have seen some no name branded ones somewhere but dont remember where and not sure if they were threaded right. Joe Bob's is $44.99+$9.99 flat rate shipping which is not bad but I am always looking to save where I can. Yes, I am a cheap azz but dont mind paying up for quality or what I truly want.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw-Valley-Precision-3-25-Magnum-Linear-Comp-Bl-p/kvp-mag-325.htm?1=1&CartID=1

Thanks!
Steve
SteveHlhn

Postby Bmt85 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:13 pm

/i don;t think you're going to find it much cheaper. You could go with a KAK flash can. Basically the same thing but isn't closed off in front, is made from aluminum (should be lighter than the Kaw), and is a bit cheaper.
Bmt85

Postby 303hunter » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:20 am

I've got Kaw Valley linear comps on both my 450's and I'm very pleased with them. Sound and recoil reduction are very noticeable. $45 is normally what they cost.
303hunter

Postby teddy_d » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:30 am

Get your favorite 2 stage trigger.

Optics the scope you have will work. If you're going to hunt I'd suggest a 2x9 up to a 4x12, Leupold or Vortex both make great optics with the best warranties.

With all the new ammo available and Barnes coming out with copper options you have the potential to harvest deer to 300 yards, if you practice and can consistently put hot metal on time on target. You'd also need a laser range finder.

Reads like you know how build a good rifle.
teddy_d

Postby SteveHlhn » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:50 am

teddy_d wrote:Get your favorite 2 stage trigger.

Optics the scope you have will work. If you're going to hunt I'd suggest a 2x9 up to a 4x12, Leupold or Vortex both make great optics with the best warranties.

With all the new ammo available and Barnes coming out with copper options you have the potential to harvest deer to 300 yards, if you practice and can consistently put hot metal on time on target. You'd also need a laser range finder.

Thanks much for all the comments!

I bought another KVP but in the 2.25" version for $42 off the 'bay. I am swapping it onto my 45PCC and moving the 3.5 to my .450

A two stage FCG is one thing I have yet to experience. Many have encouraged me to try one but I havent made the leap. Maybe on the next target rifle I build. I like what I am seeing with the coppers and am definitely going to pick some up for this Bushy as well as my .300BO. I am in FL and where I hunt rarely has more than 100yds open and thats a long shot in the jungle like conditions. My range has 200 yd targets and I may see about longer shots but I anticipate shorter shots at deer and hogs. Having a large slug is a handy thing while still hunting along some of these swamps and thickets. Thats why I think the 1X4 may be a good choice. We will see. If my parts get here quick enough and I get off my lazy arse and build the .450, my next hunt is Jan 9, 10, 11.
SteveHlhn

Postby teddy_d » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:13 am

SteveHlhn wrote:
teddy_d wrote:Get your favorite 2 stage trigger.

Thanks much for all the comments!

I bought another KVP but in the 2.25" version for $42 off the 'bay. I am swapping it onto my 45PCC and moving the 3.5 to my .450

A two stage FCG is one thing I have yet to experience. Many have encouraged me to try one but I havent made the leap. Maybe on the next target rifle I build. I like what I am seeing with the coppers and am definitely going to pick some up for this Bushy as well as my .300BO. I am in FL and where I hunt rarely has more than 100yds open and thats a long shot in the jungle like conditions. My range has 200 yd targets and I may see about longer shots but I anticipate shorter shots at deer and hogs. Having a large slug is a handy thing while still hunting along some of these swamps and thickets. Thats why I think the 1X4 may be a good choice. We will see. If my parts get here quick enough and I get off my lazy arse and build the .450, my next hunt is Jan 9, 10, 11.

Considering the hunting conditions the 1x4x28 is an excellent choice :mrgreen:
teddy_d

Return to AR15 Style Rifles