Viable lower reciever for the .450 BM

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Viable lower reciever for the .450 BM

Postby MrWibble » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:22 pm

Hey guys,
Getting the budget put together to build my pig gun. My question is are all lower receivers created equal? Is it best to stick with a BM lower to mate properly to the BM upper? I'm in the Air Force and our training rifles always have a ton of jiggle between receivers and i want to minimize that. Plus some cost savings will help when I present my proposal to the board(you know who i speak of).

Thanks
Mr. Wibble
MrWibble

Re: Viable lower reciever for the .450 BM

Postby mossy89 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:37 pm

Spikes tactical lower $89 stripped from brownells.com
mossy89

Postby Hoot » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:16 pm

If you're going to build your lower from component and just use the standard trigger maybe spruced up a little, I like the Superior Arms lower. It has screw holes for trigger take-up and over-travel. $86.00 from EL Guns on Gunbroker. My other lower is an RRA National Match, which I bought already assembled with A2 stock for $299 complete.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BayouBob » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:48 am

Slightly loose tolerance is what makes the AR platform so practical to manufacture and still have all the parts work together. The consideration was field repair and replacement to keep the troops shooting by armorers in the military who weren't custom gunsmiths with time and tools to fit weapons parts. Even if you buy a Bushmaster lower or a complete gun you may have a little movement but that will be the best way to insure a good fit. There is a little plastic wedge you can buy for a few bucks that goes between the upper and the lower to put some tension on the assembly and take all the movement out. Some like it; some say it is a pain if you take the weapon apart very often.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:37 pm

I use the accuwedge and the only thing you gotta watch is when you
are opening the receiver not to let it fall out and lose it. But the
ones I bought at CTD tend to stay in pretty well while the weapon is
open. You can get a pack of 3 for about 7 bucks.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Return to AR15 Style Rifles