1 or 2-Stag Trigger for Hogs & Deer

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

1 or 2-Stag Trigger for Hogs & Deer

Postby adelmo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:00 pm

Have a Stag Lower with RRA parts and A2 stock on its way for Thumper.

What trigger style is preferred for 450b hunting?

Thanks in advance, Alan
adelmo

Re: 1 or 2-Stag Trigger for Hogs & Deer

Postby Hoot » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:07 pm

I have the RR NM trigger. Reasonably priced if you search for the lowest price. I like it, but I have not tried any others, so my perspective is narrow.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BayouBob » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:35 am

It pretty much comes down to personal preference and practice. When I first started shooting AR's a few years ago I didn't much care for stock triggers since prior to that all my rifle shooting was done with finely tuned triggers on bolt actions. Even though I know a fine trigger makes for more precision shooting I've been able to learn the AR triggers well enough that I have resisted putting aftermarket triggers in any of mine. Targets get little holes in them and animals fall down. Get a decent trigger like the RR and that doesn't cost much and spend the savings on ammo.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby Hoot » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:03 pm

Did some searching in case you're interested in the RRA NM Trigger Kit. Best prices I could find were on Gunbroker.com and ranged from $84-$89 plus shipping. One was $90 shipped. They go up a few bucks each year. One of the reasons I like the 2-stage is the take-up gives you a safety margin in case you're using gloves and even if you're not holding on tightly, it's still hard to double-tap. 700 plus thumper rounds and never a double.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby adelmo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:19 pm

Thanks guys for your thoughts.

Hoot: Never thought about the glove thing but makes ton of sense.

Alan
adelmo

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:50 pm

:) I polished up my stock trigger set myself and it helps tremendously. The factory creep & a magpul trigger guard make for safe hunting with gloves ;)

:? the last time i ran some test loads through it :shock: it bump fired the last two rounds :roll: so i thought! :oops: stuck another mag of 4 rounds in it and pulled the trigger :o ...dumped 'um all faster than i could release the trigger! :shock: a quick check of the trigger set and i found the hammer pin had slid about 1/4 way out the lower. pushed it back in and finished the hunting season. i ordered the locking pins to replace. 8-)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby talonxracer » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:27 pm

I have had all sorts of trigger groups, BUT the very best feel has been a stock Bushy trigger group that Bill Springfield has worked his magic on and was by far the cheapest. For hog and other dangerous game hunting I do not like 2 stage triggers, give me a trigger I can double tap with!
talonxracer

Return to AR15 Style Rifles