First Post...Help

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

First Post...Help

Postby 450-boy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Hello guys,

This is my first post and I am in the process of buying a new 450 Bushmaster. I have a couple questions (o.k. a lot of questions :D )
- I am leaning toward the 20" barrel, but my dealer can only get the 16" in at this time. Do you guys think there is a real difference in accuracy or velocity.
- I am looking at putting a peep sight on the rifle, but it looks like I would have to change something (can't remember what the dealer called it) on the 20" barrel.
- What type of issues have you had or seen with this rifle, if any at all?

That is all for now. My dealer ordered one in so I could take a look at her (16" barrel) and should be here by the end of next week.
Thanks,
Paul
450-boy

Re: First Post...Help

Postby MudBug » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:48 pm

Difference between a 20" barrel and a 16" barrel is about 100 fps (2200 fps down to 2100 fps).

To me this caliber just screams carbine, so for me the 16" is perfect. You however will need to decide if that extra 100 fps is worth having a less compact rifle.

I'm not sure what you mean by peep sight. Do you mean standard AR irons?

My rifle has had no problems at all.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby 450-boy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:27 pm

Thanks for the reply...I guess I should have said aperature/receiver sight. I do not want the carry handle style, and my dealer recommended a Cavalary Arms, what do you guys think?

If I go with a scope would a Leupold 1x4 be about right. My plan is to chase Blacktail deer, bear, and elk in Southern Oregon.

Thanks again!!!!!
450-boy

Postby gunnut » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:06 am

Go for what it was made for! A quick pointing bush gun! 16" barrel works the best for this app. Definetly a "Bushmaster" Don't worrie about leavers. twigs and branches deflecting it. You can even shot though small trees and hit your target. This beast makes it's own path to the target!
gunnut

Postby thatguy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:20 am

I just put BUIS (back up iron sights) on my 16" upper - IF yours has the gas block rail (which is what is shipping from BM these days) you will need to make sure you get a front sight made for mounting on the gas block. I ended up going with Yankee Hill Machine folding front and rear sights. If you check out the bushmaster website and go to "bushmaster modular accessory system" any of those sights will work (as long as it is a gas block front) - the BMAS is YHM stuff

As far as a scope goes I put a 3-9 Nikon Omega (made for shotgun/muzzleloader) - I really wanted something like a 1.5-5ish but this was on sale at Natchezzs for $139 (regular over $200) I couldnt pass it up.. I mounted the scope using Warne Ultra High QD rings (also on sale at Natchezzs for $69 right now)

shameless plug - If you are on facebook. check out the 450b group i made.. we are up to 15 members now :D

good luck

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby the_mad_rshn » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:55 am

Check out my setup.
I have a YHM front flip up sight and a UTG rear flip up peep (aperature) site. I also have a 2.5x scoput scope (a NcStar pistol scope).

Cheers,
Mad

Cheers,
Mad
the_mad_rshn

Postby 450-boy » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:54 pm

Thanks for all the input!!!!
How accurate has the aperature sight been for all of you? I love aperature/peep sights. My dad taught me how to use them when I was a kid, and I have them on most of my hunting rifles.

Mad,
What kind of forearm is that on your 450, it sure looks better than the stock one.

Where is a good place to get parts (new triggers, forearms etc..) and maybe, a whole rifle? I am a little gun shy with the guy I am dealing with. The cost for the rifle keeps changing, I do understand that this might be out of his control, but... :?

My plan is to have the new rifle in my rack in a couple of weeks ;)

Thanks again :D
450-boy

Postby 2zero6 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:19 pm

I originally bought my .450 as a complete 20" barrel rifle and quickly realized that the 16' barrel would be better suited for most occasions I would use the rifle for, so I ordered the 16" barrel from Bushmaster for $185 and have been happy ever since. As far as sights it all depends on what you want the rifle to do. I currently have and Eotech 557 with a flip to side 4x magnifier that I transition back and forth on my 5.56 upper. I have a Mark 4 4.5-14x50mm ER/T M1 that I occasional use on both as well when I need to take shots from further out. BUIS is a HK diopter un the rear and a flip up in Troy HK style flip up in the front. I just prefer the front sight shrouds to be the HK style. I really like the eotech because if I ever need to use it tactically I can just frame the target (80's MTV generation) without have to turn it on. My next optic will most likely be an aimpoint m4 or an ACOG TA31ECOS I am pretty torn between the two. I've used the Leupold Prismatic 1x14mm and the Mark 4 1-3x14mm CQ/T and they are both nice but if it is a 1x scope than I want eye relief and the EOtech was the most comfortable to my eyes. I have always wanted to find a scope that had a reticle that had range marks equal to the .450 trajectory but I always get sidetracked on the other high dollar purchases. Just my preferences and everyone will have different opinions and needs.

PS - the_mad_rshn is that BUIS on backwards?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Return to AR15 Style Rifles