Recoil reduction and muzzle brakes highlights.

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Recoil reduction and muzzle brakes highlights.

Postby 450Buschmaster » Mon May 28, 2018 6:53 pm

Just to update this thread. I emailed Ross about a 4 port brake for my first 450B build and he replied within an hour on a Saturday. Then I PayPal'd him the money Sunday and he told me he'd be dropping it off at the post office that day.

I haven't got it yet, but have no concerns. And that email still works.
450Buschmaster

Postby Al in Mi » Tue May 29, 2018 3:48 am

your gonna love it!!
Al in Mi

Postby MOOSE EARS » Tue May 29, 2018 4:55 am

The email works and so do the Ross brakes! Just don't let anyone stand beside it when you shoot...
MOOSE EARS

Postby 450Buschmaster » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:39 pm

One final question - whats the best way to time the Ross brake? Crush washer? Shims? I've got a SS Barrel, plan on leaving the brake SS as well, so SS crush washer (shims) would make the most sense.
450Buschmaster

Postby Hoot » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:12 pm

450Buschmaster wrote:One final question - whats the best way to time the Ross brake? Crush washer? Shims? I've got a SS Barrel, plan on leaving the brake SS as well, so SS crush washer (shims) would make the most sense.

You can buy a crush washer or shim pack or what some of us are fond of using, which is PTFE plumbers tape, built up on the threads until the brake meets your preferred tightness. An added bonus to using the plumbers tape is that it effectively seals the threads. If you clean with the brake on, solvents that come out the end ahead of the patch, can wick back down the threads. Depending upon which solvents you use, they can attack the metal when left there over time. Crush washers and shims will not stop thin solvents and I'm thinking like copper removing or any of the water based ones. In a perfect world, you would remove the brake before cleaning or at least every once in a while to clean those threads off. We're not perfect however. ;) A roll of plumbers tape is cheap and will do a lot of brake remounts.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby plant_one » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:12 am

you can also use a small ammount of high temp RTV gasket maker from the auto parts store. it even comes in black.
plant_one

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:16 pm

I use heavy duty Teflon tape. (Grey in color). Have been using it for almost 8 years and never had a problem.
-Texas Sheepdawg
Join us on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/groups/Texas.Sheepdawg.Patriots/
http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles