Recoil reduction and muzzle brakes highlights.

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Recoil reduction and muzzle brakes highlights.

Postby gmstack » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:17 pm

I have a Ross muzzlebrake on my RAR and it tamed the felt recoil a great deal. Its a very pleasant rifle to shoot with a recoil about the same as a .308 win. Am i just imagining this ???? What are the opinions of some of you other folks regarding Ross's brakes ???
gmstack

Postby Hoot » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:03 pm

gmstack wrote:I have a Ross muzzlebrake on my RAR and it tamed the felt recoil a great deal. Its a very pleasant rifle to shoot with a recoil about the same as a .308 win. Am i just imagining this ???? What are the opinions of some of you other folks regarding Ross's brakes ???

It's not your imagination. Compare the bare 450B accelerometer measurement on page 2 of this thread versus the measurement of the Ross brake on page 9. John Noonan (gunnut) put a lot of time and money into measuring recoil using different mitigating methods into that thread. I copied his 2 cavity concept in one of my A2 stocks and later one of my A1 stocks. That impulse modifying technique, paired with a Ross brake and a recoil pad makes my 450b a sheer delight to shoot in a tee shirt. Even a 100 round range session leaves me no worse for wear and tear.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Reiska » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:25 pm

Impressed about this little thing.
Actually a hybrid between muzzle break and a supressor.

https://www.koirapatka.fi/tyoni/syksyn-varit/
Reiska

Postby plant_one » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:51 pm

Reiska wrote:Impressed about this little thing.
Actually a hybrid between muzzle break and a supressor.

https://www.koirapatka.fi/tyoni/syksyn-varit/

if it actually reduces the dB while in play... that probably wouldnt be legal here in the US without a stamp.

and the way most brakes work, you end up with a perceived volume at the shooters ear much higher than a non-brake system. the way the concussion wave hits can be nasty, especially for someone in the direct blast cone next to the shooter.

nothing quite as obnoxious as being next to a 14.5" 5.56 with a pinned/welded brake or a 16"-18" 308 with a brake while at the range.. you dont wanna be anywhere close to the booth that person is shoooting from.
plant_one

Postby Hoot » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:19 pm

I had a Ross 3-gill on my 20" 300 WSSM AR15. Cleared out the shooting positions on either side of me shortly after the first couple of shots and they were wearing hearing protection! I got by with a set of disposable 3M Model 1100 foam plugs which I highly recommend. They're all I use at the range. The key is to properly install them. I buy them by the 200 pair box for best price, 23₵ /pr.

Even though I couldn't get that upper to shoot 150gr bullets @ 3k fps, down to 1 MOA, I still miss it. It was a hoot to shoot.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Reiska » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:33 pm

"nothing quite as obnoxious as being next to a 14.5" 5.56 with a pinned/welded brake or a 16"-18" 308 with a brake while at the range.. you dont wanna be anywhere close to the booth that person is shoooting from"

Completely correct.
I do not want to be close to myself while shooting.

I removed the brakes. About to replace them with Aaltonen creatures.
Purchased three hybrids and one overcaliber supressor.

450 B is not as bad as 5.56 and 308, probably due to lower pressure.
However Aaltonen 4-chamber hybrid works great.
I assume a 7-chamber hybrid will stabilize the gun better.
Reiska

Postby Hoot » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:13 am

Reiska wrote:"nothing quite as obnoxious as being next to a 14.5" 5.56 with a pinned/welded brake or a 16"-18" 308 with a brake while at the range.. you dont wanna be anywhere close to the booth that person is shoooting from"

Completely correct.
I do not want to be close to myself while shooting.

I removed the brakes. About to replace them with Aaltonen creatures.
Purchased three hybrids and one overcaliber supressor.

450 B is not as bad as 5.56 and 308, probably due to lower pressure.
However Aaltonen 4-chamber hybrid works great.
I assume a 7-chamber hybrid will stabilize the gun better.

OK, I'll bite. I just spent 20 minutes of my life that I'll never get back, Googling Aaltonen 4-chamber, 7-chamber, hybrid, muzzle device, muzzle brake, suppressor, etc and not a single hit. :roll:

Hoot
Hoot

Postby Reiska » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:40 am

There was a link in this chain by August 11.

It appears there may be some legal issue in US and Canada. He states:
"FOR US AND CANADA OWN MODIFIED LEGAL MODEL IN TESTING. "FINN brake". Recoil reduction only."

https://www.koirapatka.fi/

However any legal issue would not restrict domestic development by any interested blacksmith.
Aaltonen has done most of the mistakes that need to be done. He does not have patents or other restrictions,
that is not his policy.
Reiska

Postby Reiska » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:40 pm

nothing quite as obnoxious as being next to a 14.5" 5.56 with a pinned/welded brake or a 16"-18" 308 with a brake while at the range.. you dont wanna be anywhere close to the booth that person is shoooting from.

Actually my rifles of this type did not come with muzzle brakes. They came with flash supressors. I changed to muzzle brakes. Bad choise. That is why I have now gone into hybrids that do not amplify sound pressure. A further design issue of the hybrid is, how much recoil is reduced, and how much audible pressure wave.
Reiska

Postby clamah » Sat May 21, 2022 3:06 pm

I don't use a muzzle break on my ar15, 450 Bushmaster but install an ar10 recoil spring along with a nice recoil pad and that combo works good! Fired 35 rounds of 300 grain XTPs yesterday and I am not hurting today and I am 73 years old!
clamah

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles