Recoil reduction and muzzle brakes highlights.

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Recoil reduction and muzzle brakes highlights.

Postby Hoot » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:11 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:UPDATE:
The wheels are in motion to test the Ross Brake on Gunnuts' Recoil testing system. Gunny should have one on the way by the first of August. Stay tuned.


Having just played all the possibilities, the muzzle brake on this caliber, at these velocities, has less impact than the recoil reducing A2 stock than other, faster calibers. On my .300 OSSM (.308 150gr bullet at 3015 fps), the lion's share of the reduction is in the brake and almost no benefit from the recoil reducing A2 stock. Both wear Ross' (Miculek Style) brakes.
Last edited by Hoot on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
User avatar
Hoot
 
Posts: 4114
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Recoil reduction and muzzle brakes highlights.

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:38 am

Hoot wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:UPDATE:
The wheels are in motion to test the Ross Brake on Gunnuts' Recoil testing system. Gunny should have one on the way by the first of August. Stay tuned.


Having just played all the possibilities, the muzzle brake on this caliber, at these velocities, has less impact than the recoil reducing A2 stock than other, faster calibers. On my .300 OSSM (.308 150gr bullet at 3015 fps), the lion's share of the reduction is in the brake and almost no benefit from the recoil reducing A2 stock. Both wear Ross' (Miculek Style) brake.

Thats what we want to see. If Gunny is getting reduction with his stocks, and the Ross Brake "feels" like it is doing its job, isnt it a curiousity what the Ross Brake is actually doing? We saw the results with the A2 and various brakes But what about the Ross Brake when used with Gunnys' A1 and A2 custom stock? Gunny hasn't had the opportunity to put these combinations together and test them with his equipment. This is the test that I have been waiting for. I noticed a definite difference with my A1 stock (gunnys' custom), and the Ross Brake.
-Texas Sheepdawg
Join us on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/groups/Texas.Sheepdawg.Patriots/
http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
User avatar
Texas Sheepdawg
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:55 am
Location: North Texas

Re: Recoil reduction and muzzle brakes highlights.

Postby Hoot » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:44 am

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:
Hoot wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:UPDATE:
The wheels are in motion to test the Ross Brake on Gunnuts' Recoil testing system. Gunny should have one on the way by the first of August. Stay tuned.


Having just played all the possibilities, the muzzle brake on this caliber, at these velocities, has less impact than the recoil reducing A2 stock than other, faster calibers. On my .300 OSSM (.308 150gr bullet at 3015 fps), the lion's share of the reduction is in the brake and almost no benefit from the recoil reducing A2 stock. Both wear Ross' (Miculek Style) brakes.

Thats what we want to see. If Gunny is getting reduction with his stocks, and the Ross Brake "feels" like it is doing its job, isnt it a curiousity what the Ross Brake is actually doing? We saw the results with the A2 and various brakes But what about the Ross Brake when used with Gunnys' A1 and A2 custom stock? Gunny hasn't had the opportunity to put these combinations together and test them with his equipment. This is the test that I have been waiting for. I noticed a definite difference with my A1 stock (gunnys' custom), and the Ross Brake.


I for one, would like to see the trace on a plain (non-gunny) stock with and without the Ross brake as a control.

Hoot
Last edited by Hoot on Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
User avatar
Hoot
 
Posts: 4114
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Recoil reduction and muzzle brakes highlights.

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:49 am

Me too! I hope he can run several scenarios.
-Texas Sheepdawg
Join us on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/groups/Texas.Sheepdawg.Patriots/
http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
User avatar
Texas Sheepdawg
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:55 am
Location: North Texas

Re: Recoil reduction and muzzle brakes highlights.

Postby gunnut » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:50 pm

My base line for the recoil reducers development was a 16” 450 bushmaster, standard A2 stock, No brake, gas block disabled.no buffer “wood dowel’ Fired single shot. Had to breach it to eject the round and reload. I did this to establish a base line and isolate the recoil from everything else that goes on. The recoil is now at 31Gs.The gas action alone of this gun takes up 30% of the recoil. An off the shelf 450 will do 21-24Gs.
I know I posted a graph showing all that goes on with the standard 16” 450.
I really don’t want to go though all of that right now. My work is getting busy
This base line will have to be the out of the box 16” 450 Bushmaster, A2 stock, Izzy brake. Then one, the other and both. I will put all 4 on 1 graph to show an overlay.
gunnut
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:48 pm
Location: Atlanta,Ga. Happiness is a warm Gun.

Re: Recoil reduction and muzzle brakes highlights.

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:57 pm

Well, I really don't know what kind of results we are going to get back, but IMHO, I'm satisfied with my stock and my Ross Brake and I won't be taking them off anytime soon, except if Gunny develops a better reducer for my A1 stock. Right now, my Thumper is a pleasure to shoot.
Thanx again, Gunny.
-Texas Sheepdawg
Join us on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/groups/Texas.Sheepdawg.Patriots/
http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
User avatar
Texas Sheepdawg
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:55 am
Location: North Texas

Re: Recoil reduction and muzzle brakes highlights.

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:12 pm

gunnut wrote:My base line for the recoil reducers development was a 16” 450 bushmaster, standard A2 stock, No brake, gas block disabled.no buffer “wood dowel’ Fired single shot. Had to breach it to eject the round and reload. I did this to establish a base line and isolate the recoil from everything else that goes on. The recoil is now at 31Gs.The gas action alone of this gun takes up 30% of the recoil. An off the shelf 450 will do 21-24Gs.
I know I posted a graph showing all that goes on with the standard 16” 450.
I really don’t want to go though all of that right now. My work is getting busy
This base line will have to be the out of the box 16” 450 Bushmaster, A2 stock, Izzy brake. Then one, the other and both. I will put all 4 on 1 graph to show an overlay.

There are several graphs posted throughout the following thread. I'm pretty sure the graph you are referring to is in here somewhere. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=223
-Texas Sheepdawg
Join us on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/groups/Texas.Sheepdawg.Patriots/
http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
User avatar
Texas Sheepdawg
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:55 am
Location: North Texas

Re: Recoil reduction and muzzle brakes highlights.

Postby Jeepejeep » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:51 pm

With my Ross break and a slip on Limbsaver pad, I shot 70 rounds at one sitting from the bench and no soreness at all. Fantastic combo to me!
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
User avatar
Jeepejeep
 
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:05 pm
Location: NY

Re: Recoil reduction and muzzle brakes highlights.

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:34 pm

Just wanted to bump this thread for the newbies who might be interested in the R&D being put forth on recoil control. The test results on the Ross brake are in and posted here.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=223&start=80
-Texas Sheepdawg
Join us on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/groups/Texas.Sheepdawg.Patriots/
http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
User avatar
Texas Sheepdawg
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:55 am
Location: North Texas

Re: Recoil reduction and muzzle brakes highlights.

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:28 am

Here is the Ross Brake on my 6.5 Grendel.
Image
-Texas Sheepdawg
Join us on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/groups/Texas.Sheepdawg.Patriots/
http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
User avatar
Texas Sheepdawg
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:55 am
Location: North Texas

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests