Recoil reduction and muzzle brakes highlights.

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Recoil reduction and muzzle brakes highlights.

Postby gmstack » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:17 pm

I have a Ross muzzlebrake on my RAR and it tamed the felt recoil a great deal. Its a very pleasant rifle to shoot with a recoil about the same as a .308 win. Am i just imagining this ???? What are the opinions of some of you other folks regarding Ross's brakes ???
gmstack

Re: Recoil reduction and muzzle brakes highlights.

Postby Hoot » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:03 pm

gmstack wrote:I have a Ross muzzlebrake on my RAR and it tamed the felt recoil a great deal. Its a very pleasant rifle to shoot with a recoil about the same as a .308 win. Am i just imagining this ???? What are the opinions of some of you other folks regarding Ross's brakes ???

It's not your imagination. Compare the bare 450B accelerometer measurement on page 2 of this thread versus the measurement of the Ross brake on page 9. John Noonan (gunnut) put a lot of time and money into measuring recoil using different mitigating methods into that thread. I copied his 2 cavity concept in one of my A2 stocks and later one of my A1 stocks. That impulse modifying technique, paired with a Ross brake and a recoil pad makes my 450b a sheer delight to shoot in a tee shirt. Even a 100 round range session leaves me no worse for wear and tear.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles