Remington Ammo Cont...

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Remington Ammo Cont...

Postby wildcatter » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:24 am

KY_Mike wrote:I've got a small sampling of the 260 gr. ammo to evaluate, but haven't been able to do so yet due to my 20" upper being loaned out and my 16" hasn't arrived just yet.

Hey Spike, I mean Mike.. How did you come into the small sampling or are they Siringo loads. I've got two directly, from Remmy's Last years Shot Show display case and they are loaded on Hornady cases, they will prolly be the only ones done with this case/bullet combo and be considered rare. Sure hope the Remmy loading will finally show up. Look to next January" SHOT for the Hornady announcement of new loadings they are promising..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby KY_Mike » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:33 am

Hey 'Catter... these are the real deal (headstamped R-P) sent to me to try out. From what I hear, the Rem. ammo is getting closer to fruition, but it's always hard to tell. I'll likely be necessarily vague in my review, but I'll try to get a few photos and let you fellers make your own judgement, assuming I get around to doing it before it's available to the masses.
KY_Mike

Postby Siringo » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:57 pm

I shot my reloads with the Remington bullet today. I have a 16 inch barrel. I used 36 grains of Lil'Gun and a WSR Primer (THIS SHOULD BE CONSIDERED MAXIMUM -- SAFE IN MY GUN, BUT MAY NOT BE IN YOURS).

I first shot a Hornady factory round out of a clean barrel at 100 yards. I had removed the scope from my upper, reinstalled it and reset the windage and elevation knobs. Just wanted to make sure I hit paper as I only had 5 rounds.

There was a marked difference in recoil between the factory load and the reload with the Remington bullet. Remington load being heavier.

Hornady factory load clocks out of my 16 inch around 2050 fps. The reload with the Remington bullet averaged 2225 fps, ES - 30 fps and SD - 12 fps. 2,333 fpe versus 2,855 fpe. No wonder a recoil difference.

Accuracy (sorry -- no pics) was 1 1/2 inches. Definitely something to pursue.

Extrapolating from the Remington tables, the ballistic coefficient of their bullet is around 0.15, while the Hornady is 0.210. The Remington number seems really low. A 230 grain hardball round has a better value. Only way to tell will be to shoot to 200 yards and calculate the drop -- working backwards.
Siringo

Postby BillytheKid » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:55 pm

Siringo wrote:I shot my reloads with the Remington bullet today. I have a 16 inch barrel. I used 36 grains of Lil'Gun and a WSR Primer (THIS SHOULD BE CONSIDERED MAXIMUM -- SAFE IN MY GUN, BUT MAY NOT BE IN YOURS).

I first shot a Hornady factory round out of a clean barrel at 100 yards. I had removed the scope from my upper, reinstalled it and reset the windage and elevation knobs. Just wanted to make sure I hit paper as I only had 5 rounds.

There was a marked difference in recoil between the factory load and the reload with the Remington bullet. Remington load being heavier.

Hornady factory load clocks out of my 16 inch around 2050 fps. The reload with the Remington bullet averaged 2225 fps, ES - 30 fps and SD - 12 fps. 2,333 fpe versus 2,855 fpe. No wonder a recoil difference.

Accuracy (sorry -- no pics) was 1 1/2 inches. Definitely something to pursue.

Extrapolating from the Remington tables, the ballistic coefficient of their bullet is around 0.15, while the Hornady is 0.210. The Remington number seems really low. A 230 grain hardball round has a better value. Only way to tell will be to shoot to 200 yards and calculate the drop -- working backwards.

I'm guessing they get their coefficient from their original sabot rounds?
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles