If you had to do it all over again??

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: If you had to do it all over again??

Postby plant_one » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:29 pm

Smokinbubba wrote:Nothing different. Bear Creek 18" upper. Nikon BDC glass. Fills the freezer EVERY YEAR. Even with factory 250 hor blk's.

Savage axis build, have not put a round thru it yet. (too cold) but I am sure it will perform as designed.

buddy uses similar one and loves it. his shoots factory ammo better than my bushy 20" upper. i think he put a bit fancier glass on though to getting a steal on a nice Vortex on closeout/clearance.
plant_one

Postby 07Kingpin » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:21 pm

Good to know, thanks.
07Kingpin

Postby Hoot » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:48 pm

07Kingpin wrote:Good to know, thanks.

If I ever let my self discipline slip enough to go the bolt action route, I definitely would get a pre-fit barrel for one of my Savage Model 12's. Luckily, I'm content with my 20" AR upper. I like not having to take my trigger hand away from the rifle to cycle another round in case I need a quick follow up shot and besides, the AR platform was all that was available the first 9 years of my involvement with the 450b and I've grown accustomed to it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Smokinbubba » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:18 am

Many things have slipped over the years. Self discipline was the first to go. I'm always fixing things that aint broke... :roll:
I just hope the weather breaks so I can get to the range and try out the axis. Hoot, If you do go the bold route, I cannot recommend Rhineland, I have yet to receive a reply about the change in barrel threads leading me to have a worthless Ross brake. Maybe they deserve a second message from me.
Smokinbubba

Postby 07Kingpin » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:13 pm

Funny that bolts should come up- that's what I usually build.

Part of going with an AR platform is just to work on something a little different.

FWIW I had a Rhineland barrel on an Axis and it shot great but I could never get it to feed. Tried the spacer, and modifying the mag etc. etc.etc.. Got bored with a repeater that didn't repeat. Obviously others have had better luck but it wasn't a good combo for me.
07Kingpin

Postby Hoot » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:25 pm

Smokinbubba wrote:Many things have slipped over the years. Self discipline was the first to go. I'm always fixing things that aint broke... :roll:
I just hope the weather breaks so I can get to the range and try out the axis. Hoot, If you do go the bold route, I cannot recommend Rhineland, I have yet to receive a reply about the change in barrel threads leading me to have a worthless Ross brake. Maybe they deserve a second message from me.

Yes, guilty of preaching in bad faith about self-discipline. It was the first words that came to me when writing the previous post. I have enough guns that if I spent 2 weeks with each during our brief comfortable shooting weather, I'd run out of time before guns. Lately, I've been pursuing high accuracy BR rifles because I love experimenting with reloading. When asked, I have actually said that "I shoot because I reload" not vice versa. I'm an incurable scientist at heart and playing with caliber recipes tickles my fancy. Never mind that good recipe choices for every one of them already exist. I am also an incurable tinkerer at heart. The nonavailability of affordable reloading supplies has cramped my style however. My butt puckers at the though of buying supplies online, with their inherent sales tax, hazmat fee and shipping costs sometimes adding up to more than the product costs. Homey don't play that!" My local reloading shop that previously was a cornucopia of affordable reloading supplies has turned into a desert. I understand things are beginning to turn around a little but it sees to be regional. Certainly not up here. Despite thise challenges, I'm primed for another fun reloading season that begins for me when comfortable shooting weather returns in approximately a month and a half. In the mean time, its cabin fever season with my local rifle range being snowed in. I don't trudge through knee deep snow to hang targets. ;)

Its just a hobby...

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 303hunter » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:26 am

I'm really happy with my build using a Bear Creek 16" barrel. It's very accurate and also budget friendly.
303hunter

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles