Linear compensators

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Linear compensators

Postby James3 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:51 pm

Has anyone compared the Kaw Valley comp to the Tromix comp? I am going to put a linear comp on my 450B and was wondering if the Tromix comp was worth the extra dollars. Thanks
James3
James3

Linear compensators

Postby James3 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:34 pm

I am going to install a linear compensator on my 450B AR. I am looking at the Kaw and the Tromix. Has anyone actually shot them for comparison? The Tromix is about double the Kaw Valley and was wondering if it was worth it.
Thanks, James3
James3

Re: Linear compensators

Postby Hoot » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:43 pm

Started out as two separate, new member topics. Merged them.

BTW, Welcome Aboard Jim!

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby James3 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:55 am

Thank you Hoot, I was not patient enough to wait for the approval. After many hours of research last night I have now become confused as to which brand or type of comp is better. It seems to boil down to 1 piece or 2 piece comps. Do any of them actually help with noise to the shooter and those standing next to him? I don't want to be "one of those guys" at the shooting range. I wear hearing protection when hunting so not as concerned there. Thanks again Hoot, James3
James3

Postby Hoot » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:32 pm

James3 wrote:Thank you Hoot, I was not patient enough to wait for the approval. After many hours of research last night I have now become confused as to which brand or type of comp is better. It seems to boil down to 1 piece or 2 piece comps. Do any of them actually help with noise to the shooter and those standing next to him? I don't want to be "one of those guys" at the shooting range. I wear hearing protection when hunting so not as concerned there. Thanks again Hoot, James3

I am "one of those guys" at the local gun club. We pay membership dues to use the facility and there are big signs everywhere requiring hearing protection. I know some people demand the right to hurt themselves in the interest of Freedom but we don't ask much of them in the way of safety. Besides, if there's no admin people around, which is quite common during the work week or when its blue arse cold like now, they can do as they please. Its an honor system with no Range Officers present.

I don't own any linear compensators, so I'll wait for others who do, to wade in. There are a number of members here who do like and use them. There are also members who don't mind the recoil with no compensator on their rigs. Being such a large bore, straight walled round, the lion's share of perceived recoil with the 450b is the result of Newton's 3rd Law, not nearly as much from the "rocket effect" encountered with bottleneck calibers, especially overbore ones. So, the benefit from either kind of brakes is less pronounced. The classic Holland design, AKA Ross Brake, that many of us use, do help somewhat but its not like night and day, such as with my 300 Win Mag.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:48 pm

I use linear brakes on my 5.56 ARs. Doesn’t seem to affect recoil one way or another, but it directs the blast forward away from the shooter. It seems to draw the shockwave away and forward and also seems to push the sound forward. But the most noticeable effect is the negative pressure it creates around the shooter as it literally vacuums the surrounding air forward. I would imagine that would be even more noticeable with a sound wave of the 450 Bushmaster.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby 303hunter » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:25 am

I use the Kaw Valley linear comp on my 450 AR, and there’s a noticeable recoil reduction. Not as much reduction as a ported brake, but it does work. Linear brake is definitely quieter. I hunt in box blinds, and like the sound forwarding linear brake.
303hunter

Postby cwlongshot » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:29 am

I am a big fan of the Kaw Valley LC. I must have 8-10 of them.

For me, that concussion from most muzzle devices is objectionable. My own history, requires mitigation here. I like them for a few reasons but reduction of cuncussive report is top of the list.

I have bough a couple other makers devices and always ended up buying a KAW after all.

I cannot say I see any difference in accuracy. I dont see any difference in preformance on game. But more ear friendly as I dont wear ear protection while hunting.

It is nice on 16" guns allowing them to "fit" and stand in the safe better.

BOTH my 450's wear one!

CW
cwlongshot

Postby Billinthedesert » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:37 am

I'm looking hard at the Kaw Valley for my BCA upper. Just need to confirm that the muzzle thread is 5/8 x 32 and not 49/64 x 20.
Billinthedesert

Postby Al in Mi » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:25 am

BCA use something different than the 11/16 x 24 most others use??
Al in Mi

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles