Trigger ?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Trigger ?

Postby Siringo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:30 pm

Yes I did -- sweet. Well worth the money.
Siringo

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:23 pm

:? well... being the do-it-yourselfer (cheap skate) that i am :roll: i honed mine myself with some stones & oil from the machinists at work. my son kept a watchfull eye on me to make sure i didn't remove too much metal :shock:
:) the result was a very smooth trigger pull with about 1/2 the crept of before :) good enough for deerhunting ;)
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby wildcatter » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:18 am

MOUNTIN DU wrote::? well... being the do-it-yourselfer (cheap skate) that i am :roll: i honed mine myself with some stones & oil from the machinists at work. my son kept a watchfull eye on me to make sure i didn't remove too much metal :shock:
:) the result was a very smooth trigger pull with about 1/2 the crept of before :) good enough for deerhunting ;)

Way-to-Go, show-nuff, with a little sweat equity, you can highly improve the GI trigger. For you other guys, a good trigger is like a set of Headers for the Mountain DU's Corvette, it is the cheapest, best-est improvement you can make or in other words, Bang-for-the-Buck.

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Hoot » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:09 am

I've gone both ways. No, not that! I mean aftermarket triggers and DIY. It's not rocket science to make a jig out of a piece of hardwood or aluminum bar stock. Lay the stripped lower on the board/bar. Shove an ice pick or some other pointy device of the right size through the pivot pin holes and mark the board/bar. Drill the board/bar for the pivot pins and assemble the FCG on the board/bar out in the open, where you can exercise it, see and feel the interplay between the mating surfaces. Using as fine stones as you can find and having the right contour to maintain the aspect of the mating surfaces, slowly, ever so slowly remove material with repeated exercising to feel it out. Stop before you think you're done and actually field exercise it. Like the barber used to tell me, "Son, I can always take more off, but it's real hard to put it back on." If you can't drill a true hole, there are jigs available for sale from folks who can. I used a piece of left-over Delrin for mine.
Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby wildcatter » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:13 pm

Hoot wrote:I've gone both ways. No, not that! I mean aftermarket triggers and DIY. It's not rocket science to make a jig out of a piece of hardwood or aluminum bar stock. Lay the stripped lower on the board/bar. Shove an ice pick or some other pointy device of the right size through the pivot pin holes and mark the board/bar. Drill the board/bar for the pivot pins and assemble the FCG on the board/bar out in the open, where you can exercise it, see and feel the interplay between the mating surfaces. Using as fine stones as you can find and having the right contour to maintain the aspect of the mating surfaces, slowly, ever so slowly remove material with repeated exercising to feel it out. Stop before you think you're done and actually field exercise it. Like the barber used to tell me, "Son, I can always take more off, but it's real hard to put it back on." If you can't drill a true hole, there are jigs available for sale from folks who can. I used a piece of left-over Delrin for mine.
Hoot

At-ah-Boy Hoot, now that you're all happy and all, you can concentrate on the work and give us real detailed reports. Don't worry how experienced some here are, everybody has a different twist to doing things and I know I appreciate the advice and tips.

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby ebusa » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:18 am

well...got my RRA NM trigger in! Much nicer stage 2 than the busmasters IMO.

However, as I feared, I had to make modification to make it work. Had to grind down in a few flat area's on the trigger assembly for the pins to be able to be pushed through. :o
--Evan
ebusa

Postby rsaun867 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:56 am

thatguy wrote:Paging Wildcatter.. Paging Wildcatter

Wildcatter - Thoughts or experiences?

From the reading/researching I have done on 450b, 458 Socom, and 50 beowulf - I have not see any posts regarding trigger problems..

thanks

brian

BD1 wrote:Some years ago, when AR's started showing up at High Power matches in increasing numbers and we all started loading the 77 and 80 grainers, I saw a number of aftermarket two stage match triggers have issues with doubling. These were triggers that were fine with the 69 grain loads, but occasionally would double using the 77 grainers over a compressed charge of Varget. This was a while ago, and I haven't heard of this issue since then, but the .450B is generating significantly more recoil than any of the .223 loads.
BD

I have a .450 upper that I put on a Double Star Lower lower. I have the bushmaster 2-stage competition trigger. It regularily "doubles". It is very scary. I'm not happy with this trigger/bushmaster. I specificaly bought the trigger for use with this upper. When I told them about the problem they just said we don't recoment using that trigger with a big bore rifle. I wish they would have put that in product discription before going through all this trouble and ammo!
rsaun867

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles