Trigger ?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Trigger ?

Postby 450-boy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:15 pm

I was wondering how many of you have replaced or had your trigger worked on. Another question I have is the trigger easy to adjust on the 450's like the Remington 700 or Winchester Model 70?

Thanks!
450-boy

Re: Trigger ?

Postby MudBug » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:47 pm

The trigger is a standard ar15 trigger, it is not adjustable. I sent mine off to Bill Springfield for a rework though and now it's a smooth 4 pound trigger.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby 450-boy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:58 pm

MudBug,

Thank you again for the quick response.
What is the normal trigger like on an AR? Am I dealing with a two stage trigger, and over 5-6 pounds or under?
450-boy

Postby the_mad_rshn » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:53 pm

I did the 15-minute trigger job on both of my ARs. I get around 4.5 lb on either. What a difference.
Cheers,
Mad
the_mad_rshn

Postby Al in Mi » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:14 am

I have a Chip McCormick on one of my AR's, it's a slick drop in.

Bill Springfield does a top notch job also.
Al in Mi

Postby wildcatter » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:56 am

Al in Mi wrote:I have a Chip McCormick on one of my AR's, it's a slick drop in.

Bill Springfield does a top notch job also.

Me too, on the shop gun here. 450-boy is correct in wondering about the trigger. Though tough to do, one can slow fire a bad trigger to prefect accuracy, rapid fire is another matter altogether. Good triggers are like Headers on a car, you get allot of bang for the buck and is the cheapest thing you can do for a positive dramatic effect. There are now many drop in's and I like them all. Of course one can work on the std trigger, but they are not engineered very well, in the ergonomics dept, having been made for Production Speed vs Cost needs. Any of the Garand Clone triggers are far superior and can be had in a drop in models or the trigger parts themselves are available at Brownells.com or other shops . I keep mentioning the "Drop-In", because these are by far, the easiest to deal with, for a none Engineer/Gun Smith/skilled amateur..

The following is an example of a std AR trigger, notice the sear engagement is very near the Hammer pin. this design, even though it works, is inferior to the Garand type.
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/skus/ ... 0015_1.jpg

Another view of the AR sear notch, which is very near turning center of the hammer pin hole.
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/produ ... 0169_1.jpg

This is a Drop-in AR/Garand type, notice the the sear engagement is on the end of the trigger, the furthest point away from the hammer turning point and deserves further investigation, but is $280 bucks.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=5343 ... ar_Trigger

The following is a better view of the innards of the AR-Garand Type trigger, notice the sear engagement is on an extension 3/4 the way up from the Hammer Pin Hole, this is absolutely "THE" ticket for all semi-auto's, hands down, Kalashnikov himself, told me he wished he had kept the trigger of the SKS, which is a Garand Type (the AK is more like the AR's i.e., the sear engagement is near the hammer turning point)
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/skus/ ... 1948_1.jpg

One other point, though I have a McCormick trigger on my shop test gun and I love it and I recommend it, this was only done because Chip wanted me to try it on my High Recoiling Gun (in other words, a freebie) and it works superbly. However, when I get Froggy, I will go over to brownells (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=798/ ... 5-Triggers), where they have four pages of beauties, and feast on a pure Garand type..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby thatguy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:53 am

I replaced the stock trigger with a Rock River Arms (RRA) two stage match trigger and it was the best thing I ever did.. It made a world of difference in accuracy.. A friend of mine who shoots in pistol matches even commented on how nice the trigger pull was with the RRA..

I was at a gun show on Saturday and there was a dealer selling the RRA triggers for $86 - I think that is about what I paid 8 yrs ago.. He had over 200 of them and was trying to get rid of some of them..

I should have bought one for that price, I am getting an itch to get another lower now.. With 3 uppers, 1 lower just doesnt seem like enough LOL

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby BD1 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:25 am

Has anyone put a RRA trigger into their 450? If they hold up to the recoil, they seem like the best value.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby thatguy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:39 am

BD1 wrote:Has anyone put a RRA trigger into their 450? If they hold up to the recoil, they seem like the best value.
BD

See my post right above yours.. Just curious (and being new to the 450B) why would you think that the RRA would NOT hold up? I never gave it much thought at failing (now I have another thing to worry about LOL)

brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby BD1 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:50 am

Some years ago, when AR's started showing up at High Power matches in increasing numbers and we all started loading the 77 and 80 grainers, I saw a number of aftermarket two stage match triggers have issues with doubling. These were triggers that were fine with the 69 grain loads, but occasionally would double using the 77 grainers over a compressed charge of Varget. This was a while ago, and I haven't heard of this issue since then, but the .450B is generating significantly more recoil than any of the .223 loads.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles