Trigger ?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Trigger ?

Postby thatguy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:58 am

Paging Wildcatter.. Paging Wildcatter

Wildcatter - Thoughts or experiences?

From the reading/researching I have done on 450b, 458 Socom, and 50 beowulf - I have not see any posts regarding trigger problems..

thanks

brian

BD1 wrote:Some years ago, when AR's started showing up at High Power matches in increasing numbers and we all started loading the 77 and 80 grainers, I saw a number of aftermarket two stage match triggers have issues with doubling. These were triggers that were fine with the 69 grain loads, but occasionally would double using the 77 grainers over a compressed charge of Varget. This was a while ago, and I haven't heard of this issue since then, but the .450B is generating significantly more recoil than any of the .223 loads.
BD
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby bushmeister » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:05 pm

BD1 wrote: but the .450B is generating significantly more recoil than any of the .223 loads.
BD

Yes, but isn't it the higher pressure in the gas tube, that was causing the issue rather than the recoil? or am I missing something?
bushmeister

Postby BD1 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:20 am

I don't really know what the root cause of the problem was. At the time I was thankful that I'd gotten a good, well tuned, two stage trigger from Bushmaster on my DCM, which has yet to give me any trouble. In my mind at the time I figured that the same change in geometry which allows you to really fine tune the sear release, also made it easier for recoil to bump the hammer off the sear. I may have been wrong, it wouldn't be the first time :)
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby wildcatter » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:43 am

BD1 wrote:I don't really know what the root cause of the problem was. At the time I was thankful that I'd gotten a good, well tuned, two stage trigger from Bushmaster on my DCM, which has yet to give me any trouble. In my mind at the time I figured that the same change in geometry which allows you to really fine tune the sear release, also made it easier for recoil to bump the hammer off the sear. I may have been wrong, it wouldn't be the first time :)
BD

Once again, bd has got it. Any semi-auto can trip under recoil. The DCM rules for the M-1/M-14 triggers are not lighter than 4.5 lbs. Though I have not seen any doubling with our, YET, we will. One just can not expect a .2oz trigger to not double under recoil. I have not seen a definitive agreement as to how much trigger pressure is enough for the 450b. I do now that guys are using a 2.5 pounder with no reported doubling. What I do know is that you'd want to stay away from the line that causes doubling. Wouldn't want a round t go out over the target when that trophy finally shows up. The Truth of the matter is, no one really knows where the boundary is and will be looking to us here at 450BUSHMASTER.NET for the answer. There is some data for the 50b and the 458s, but it is just general and has nothing to do with our specific Harmonics. So, for now, I'd say we were safe with a 2.5 and a two stage Garand type trigger. I say Garand, because if we start doubling then they are the type you can easily de-tune, without wrecking the trigger.
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby BD1 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:31 am

thatguy wrote:I replaced the stock trigger with a Rock River Arms (RRA) two stage match trigger and it was the best thing I ever did.. It made a world of difference in accuracy.. A friend of mine who shoots in pistol matches even commented on how nice the trigger pull was with the RRA..

I was at a gun show on Saturday and there was a dealer selling the RRA triggers for $86 - I think that is about what I paid 8 yrs ago.. He had over 200 of them and was trying to get rid of some of them..

I should have bought one for that price, I am getting an itch to get another lower now.. With 3 uppers, 1 lower just doesnt seem like enough LOL

Brian

So now I'm anxiously awaiting the results of a couple of hundred rounds of .450B with that RRA trigger. The trigger that came on the bushy lower I've got under my .450B isn't terrible, but it's nothing like the 2 stage match trigger on my DCM lower.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby talonxracer » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:39 am

I used the standard Bushy supplied trigger and it was absolutely horrid, so I tried the 450 upper on my Varmint lower with the JP modular trigger and accuracy improved with that sweet trigger group. I then sent my stock Bushy trigger group out to Bill Springfield and had the speedhammer mod done along with a 4lb trigger. That was the best 39$ I ever spent on a firearm bar none!!! The Springfield modified trigger group breaks as clean as glass with absolutely no creep and velvet smoothness, better than the high dollar modular from JP.
talonxracer

Postby BD1 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:24 pm

Sounds great! Still a single stage? The RRA's are on sale at Brownells now for $119
BD
BD1

Postby btfsc » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:57 pm

The RRA 2 stage triggers weak link is the disconnector pin.
Steve at Adco modifies them with hardened tool steel pin.Not a bad deal $10.00 more than the trigger without the mod.
Here's the link http://www.adcofirearms.com/itemdetails ... umber=1738
I have not seen it happen but have heard of a few.
btfsc

Postby Jailer » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:59 pm

Well, I've got a trigger group sitting right here on my desk to go out to Bill tomorrow for a 3lb job. I'll let you know how it works as soon as my 450 upper gets here.

I've got his 4lb trigger in my AR pistol and I love it. All the rest of mine have RRA 2 stage and they are great triggers for the money.
Jailer

Postby bushmeister » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:02 pm

Mine is in the mailbox to go to Bill for a 3lb job as well. I will report my findings.
bushmeister

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles