Fake gas block?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Fake gas block?

Postby mossy89 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:24 pm

Hi, I received my 20" upper today and was actually upset not to find that the fake railed gas block wasn't attached. I thought it was on the 20" as well?

bushmaster.JPG
bushmaster.JPG (117.45 KiB) Viewed 10085 times

I really don't want to add a rail on the gas block, is there any way to attach the fake one, if I had one?
mossy89

Re: Fake gas block?

Postby wildcatter » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:14 pm

mossy89 wrote:Hi, I received my 20" upper today and was actually upset not to find that the fake railed gas block wasn't attached. I thought it was on the 20" as well?

bushmaster.JPG

I really don't want to add a rail on the gas block, is there any way to attach the fake one, if I had one?

Might better call them and find out why, it could be a cost cutting measure and is news to me. Where that block should be located, and on the barrel at the six o'clock position, is there two little machined areas for the set-screws to seat into?.t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Civil » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:43 pm

The two 20" I have both have a no railed fake gas block...... Never knew they came with a fake railed gas block
Civil

Postby BayouBob » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:23 am

All the 20" Thumpers I have seen came with the unused gas block like the one in the picture. Bushmaster at one time offered a folding iron front sight that fit on that front block. Never saw one with a railed front gas block. It isn't major surgery to install one. You have to take the flash hider off and slide off the existing block and replace it with a railed model.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby Hoot » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:03 am

I suspect you guys are either messing with him or don't understand what he's saying. Like we all discovered, the faux gas-block, whether railed or not, was never intended to be connected to the gas system and that Bushmaster only put it there to make potential customers feel better about the looks. I believe the correct vernacular is "Tits on a Boar". ;)

BTW, nice setup Mossy89.

Tim can explain this better as he's had to do it for many of us over time, but in a nutshell, The internal ballistics of the 450b function more effectively with a shorter gas tube system (the one hidden under the handguard).

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:53 am

I haven't decided whether I'm gonna even keep mine on
The gun. Here is a thread you might want to check out
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1235
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby mossy89 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:21 pm

Ok, so I think Im just confused. On the 16" upper, the railed block thats at the end of the handguard. I thought that would come on the 20" upper. How do you install a picatinny rail on top of the handguard of the 20" and does anyone recommend one? I've seen some on your alls in the picture thread.
mossy89

Postby Hoot » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:29 pm

mossy89 wrote:Ok, so I think Im just confused. On the 16" upper, the railed block thats at the end of the handguard. I thought that would come on the 20" upper. How do you install a picatinny rail on top of the handguard of the 20" and does anyone recommend one? I've seen some on your alls in the picture thread.

Heck even I was confused. Your double negative in your very first sentence is what I suspect threw everyone. You are correct in your observation though. The 16" carbine version has a shorter handguard that allows the functional gas block to reside outside the handguard. In that case, it ships with a gas block that has rails. People who bought the 20" rifle length have a longer handguard and the functional gas block has to fit under it. In that case the functional gas block is a low profile one obviously without rails. For reasons we may never know, Bushmaster felt compelled to put a non-implemented 2nd gas block just past the end of the handguard and you were disappointed that it was not also one with a rail like the carbine length uses. If you were hoping for it to mount an accessory or a sight on, that sure would be disappointing. Perhaps if you contact Bushmaster, they'll allow you to send the non-implemented one back in exchange for the one with rails. It doesn't hurt to ask. They're reasonable folks. The point being, they didn't short you. That non-railed version is what everyone who buys the rifle length version gets.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BillytheKid » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:56 pm

I was searching the Bushmaster website, and found the " B.M.A.S. Front Flip Sight for V Match Rifles and Carbines "

It sure looks like that keyhole shaped base was made to fit right over the fake gas block.

What do you think? Would this work for us?

Bill
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby wildcatter » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:32 pm

Hoot wrote:
mossy89 wrote:Ok, so I think Im just confused. On the 16" upper, the railed block thats at the end of the handguard. I thought that would come on the 20" upper. How do you install a picatinny rail on top of the handguard of the 20" and does anyone recommend one? I've seen some on your alls in the picture thread.

Heck even I was confused. Your double negative in your very first sentence is what I suspect threw everyone. You are correct in your observation though. The 16" carbine version has a shorter handguard that allows the functional gas block to reside outside the handguard. In that case, it ships with a gas block that has rails. People who bought the 20" rifle length have a longer handguard and the functional gas block has to fit under it. In that case the functional gas block is a low profile one obviously without rails. For reasons we may never know, Bushmaster felt compelled to put a non-implemented 2nd gas block just past the end of the handguard and you were disappointed that it was not also one with a rail like the carbine length uses. If you were hoping for it to mount an accessory or a sight on, that sure would be disappointing. Perhaps if you contact Bushmaster, they'll allow you to send the non-implemented one back in exchange for the one with rails. It doesn't hurt to ask. They're reasonable folks. The point being, they didn't short you. That non-railed version is what everyone who buys the rifle length version gets.

Hoot

Yeah, what-he-said...lol..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles