Which barrel length for 450BM

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Which barrel length for 450BM

Postby wildcatter » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:32 am

dawgball wrote:
Al in Mi wrote:
dawgball wrote:Wow. Great info guys. All the more reason i could care less what length i get. My main purpose will be whacking and stacking these Michigan Whitetail. And of course Fall Bear hunts when i am lucky enough to draw a permit. I Just need one!! :D

where abouts in Mi are you located?

Sorry for the late reply, been away for a while. I live between Ann Arbor and Jackson. How about you?

I'm up in the thumb over in the Lapeer AO, Al from MI is further up in the thumb and we gots a bunch of MI-Hillbillies, lurking these parts..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Ridge1 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:23 pm

I finally got my "Thumper" from Cabela's today after 2 month wait. I would like the contact info to purchase a ROSS Brake.
Thanks.
Ridge1

Postby ebusa » Sat May 28, 2011 10:05 am

16'' all the way!
--Evan
ebusa

Postby Hoot » Sat May 28, 2011 1:24 pm

Ridge1 wrote:I finally got my "Thumper" from Cabela's today after 2 month wait. I would like the contact info to purchase a ROSS Brake.
Thanks.

Not sure if anyone got back to you or directed you to Ross' muzzle brake thread, but you can reach him here: rem40xb1@msn.com

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Larrys1911 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:22 pm

Well I went with the 16" because after reading the velocities that this thing is capable of from the guy that designed it, I kinda figure I can get more velocity out of the 16" than my shoulder wants to pay for....... that about right Wildcatter?

Larry
Larrys1911

Postby Hoot » Tue May 31, 2011 5:48 am

Larrys1911 wrote:Well I went with the 16" because after reading the velocities that this thing is capable of from the guy that designed it, I kinda figure I can get more velocity out of the 16" than my shoulder wants to pay for....... that about right Wildcatter?

Larry

While I haven't shot a 16" carbine version of the 450b, my experience with other calibers has been that felt recoil goes up as the barrel length goes down.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue May 31, 2011 7:26 am

Hoot wrote:Not to get into a Less Filling! Tasts Great! debate, but I love my 20". With my handloads, it delivers sub MOA at 100 yards. I toted it through some God awful thickets this past deer season and the 4 inches were a non-issue. I do not engage in CQB, so I just prefer my rifles to have rifle length barrels. Free velocity is always it's own reward. Since I never shot one in 16", I can not contrast the muzzle blast or perceived recoil difference. Whatever you get,make sure you set aside $40.00 for one of Ross' excellent brakes.

[ http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc330/rem40xb1/holland.jpg ]

His brake puts that izzy flash hider that comes with the rifle to shame.

Previously Posted:
I'm not ripping on Bushmaster for no good reason. They make a great rifle. I just resent putting accessories on guns for the sake of eye candy. All they had to do to that flash hider was weld a flat washer on the end with a hole ~.010 over bore and it would have made a good brake. Folks with flash hiders have been doing that for a while to turn them into a brake.

Bushmaster Flash Hider:
[ http://www.bushmaster.com/images/catalog/Parts_Accessories/Muzzle_Brakes_Suppressors/8448576.gif ]

Izzy:
[ http://www.bushmaster.com/images/catalog/Parts_Accessories/Muzzle_Brakes_Suppressors/IZ-102660-FH.gif ]

Bushmaster Brake:
[ http://www.bushmaster.com/images/catalog/Parts_Accessories/Muzzle_Brakes_Suppressors/IZ-102660-PSTF.gif ]

You be the judge...

The closer the size of the hole on the end to the bullet's diameter, the more effective a brake will be as it lets the bullet pass without gasses leaking around it until it's clear of the hole. Those microseconds from when it enters the hole until it clears the hole is the time when the path of least resistance for the gas is sideways. That's also why brakes with multiple constriction chambers or baffles are more effective. Each transition through a choke point diverts more gas. If like in a flash hider, there is no resistance to the gas blowing past the bullet during the time when the sideways exit is available, not much gas will go sideways. Some will, but most just continues forward with the bullet. There is a lot of good reference material on this subject available online, including hyper-speed photography showing what I just said.

A decent brake and a Sims slip-on Limbsaver recoil pad make the 450b comfortable enough to shoot that my friend's 10 year-old who shot it said, "Wow, That's it!? Can i get one Dad!!!?"

Hoot

And I gotta agree with Hoot that the Ross Brake really works. Watch these and see for yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKBlZqGP ... ata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz2iJitH ... ata_player
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Larrys1911 » Tue May 31, 2011 10:56 am

Hoot wrote:
Larrys1911 wrote:Well I went with the 16" because after reading the velocities that this thing is capable of from the guy that designed it, I kinda figure I can get more velocity out of the 16" than my shoulder wants to pay for....... that about right Wildcatter?

Larry

While I haven't shot a 16" carbine version of the 450b, my experience with other calibers has been that felt recoil goes up as the barrel length goes down.

Hoot

Hoot,

The point I was making was according to the work that Wildcatter and others have done I can up the performance of the 16" carbine WAY above the 2200 FPS that is advertized even in the 16" IF thats my goal.

I definately dont KNOW what Im talking about here but check me.
MOst of the time when firing a carbine version of a rifle its also lighter, I have a couple friends with the little short barreled Sniper 308s with heavy barrels and one with a Sako TRG with a can (read that as HEAVY), those things are like pussycats compared to my Model 88 Win in 308 but I wouldnt want to carry ANY of those for an hour much less all day. But also I think the more velocity comming from the longer barrel means a more complete burn of powder and hence more energy not sure how that translates to less recoil but Im gonna guess most of the time the weight thing plays the biggest part in more recoil not the length of the barrel..... JMHO and its worth what you paid for it :D

Larry
Larrys1911

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue May 31, 2011 12:42 pm

The longer the barrel, the more time that the bullet is in the barrel, extending time on the lands which affects accuracy, (better), more powder burn time, which means the powder is consumed more completely, thus maximum energy from ignition. That is, Energy from the burning powder having more time to increase the speed and energy of the projectile.
This consumption is desirable since this is a gas powered rifle and gas is needed to also cycle the carrier/bolt. Achieving a complete powder burn also means less muzzle flash. Muzzle flash occures when unignited powder exits the barrel. If you burn most all of it before it leaves the barrel you won't get distracted or blinded by the extra powder that flashes as it leaves the barrel. But I would think any possible gain or reduction in recoil from a 20" barrel would be negligible and due mainly to the 8 extra ounces of weight and other anomalies of physics. And one more thought. My ears are almost 50 years old. According to the United States Army, I wore mine out long before I enlisted in 1994. I didn't pass their physical.
So I have been trying to take care of what's left of them. If I could have a 24" barrel, I would be tickled pink. I want that muzzle blast and the brake blast as far out there as possible.
So if someone thought that any of my previous statements about the 20" were made to sound like the extra four inches actually helped reduce recoil, I must have poorly worded those statements. In summary, no, the 20" does not likely have less recoil than a 16". (Unless you are using a ROSS BRAKE and a Gunnut A1 or A2 RECOIL-LESS STOCK like me! LOL!! JK!)
If any of my statements and opinions here are erroneous, I'm sure WC, HOOT, GUNNUT, Ross, Bushmeister and all my friends will be emailing and calling me on my cell phone.
But opinions are like armpits. Everyone has one or two and they sometimes smell.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles