Cleaning your bushie

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Cleaning your bushie

Postby mossy89 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:23 am

So I'm just kind of curious what everyone else out there is using to clean their guns. Too, I kinda want to get an idea of what I should be using, haha. I'm not really to knowledgeable on the whole cleaning thing, so please, have at it and talk away.
mossy89

Re: Cleaning your bushie

Postby Jim in Houston » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:53 am

I am using Hoppe's solvent followed by their gun oil. When I got my 450 I invested in a good cleaning rod, a Tipton one-piece carbon fiber 36". Midway has them on sale at http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=165130. They make two sizes, so be sure you get the one that goes up to 45 cal, which should be the link. I also invested in a Tipton Universal Bore Guide. It is currently on backorder at Midway (due in 3/7) at http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=815732. I have the 20" barrel, and both of these work.

I clean from the breech in one direction only (down the barrel toward the muzzle) with a solvent soaked pad on a jag, followed by a solvent soaked copper brush (could only find one for a pistol, but I assume there is a longer one for a rifle out there), then dry pads on a jag until they come out clean (or repeat with solvent, as necessary), then a lightly oiled pad on a jag to finish.

I usually disassemble the bolt carrier, wipe it down with solvent, then oil it and reassemble it. The rest of the action gets wiped down with solvent then lightly oiled. I also have one of those brush and mop things for the AR15 that fit in the chamber, which I use.

But hey, I am open to corrections and suggestions for those who have better products and techniques.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby BillytheKid » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:37 pm

One extra thing that I do is to place the plastic tube that comes with CLP or break parts cleaner into the can nozzel. Then, with the action open, I place the other end of the tube into the gas tube. I try to seal the gas tube opening with my fingertips as I hold the cleaner tube in place, and press the cleaner nozzle as I attempt to blow any crud out of the gas tube. Be sure to hang the muzzle over a can or absorbent material, and to finish cleaning any blown out crud from the bore.

Bill
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:45 pm

I also use those long pipe cleaners to wipe out the excess solvent from the gas tube. I also use a AR15 brush kit but subsitute a nylon .45 brush instead of the 5.56 bore brush. The chamber cleaning brush is good to get into those areas where the bolt locks.
You might have seen them on gun supply sites, they are Blue Nylon. For final touch up and light lube I use a boresnake.
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:05 pm

Aside from the occasional JB bore paste treatment, I usually brush with Kroil and patch until additional brushing and patching yields no more residue on the patch. I then run one additional patch moistened with Kroil down the barrel for storing. I do that at the range after shooting while the barrel is still warm. Next trip out, I start with a couple of dry patches to remove the storage coating of Kroil and send one fouling shot. I have no idea whether that is the best approach. I used to do the same thing, but with Hoppes Number 9 solvent for cleaning and Militec oil for storage. I don't remember why I switched to Kroil. I think someone gave me a bottle, so I'm using it. BR people like it and they shoot more expensive guns than me.

For lubrication in areas that call for oil, I use CLP. For areas that call for grease, I use a homebrew grease comprised of WS2 (tungsten disulphide) suspended in CLP in concentration enough to make it grease-like, or I use Dow Corning MolyKote G-n metal assembly paste.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BD1 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:22 am

We have to clean these? :)
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby bushmeister » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Hoot wrote: I usually brush with Kroil Hoot

By the way, that stuff is the bee's knees on rusted bolts. puts WD40 to shame.
bushmeister

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:15 pm

I wished I could get a local supplier to carry Kroil. I don't like paying through the nose for haz mat fees. :(
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Hoot » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:59 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:I wished I could get a local supplier to carry Kroil. I don't like paying through the nose for haz mat fees. :(

You sure that carries a hazmat fee? The MSDS says it's exempt from Hazmat fees when shipped in containers of less that 119 gallons and by UPS Ground. Where they got 119 gallons as a standard is a complete mystery.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:19 pm

Midway was gonna charge me a HazMat fee for a small can of
Kroil last Tuesday. I then cancelled it from my order.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles