New Bushmaster Mags.

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

New Bushmaster Mags.

Postby Rutroe » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:26 pm

I received my new upper this week. I tried to put the 5 rounds in the magazine but it would only hold 4. So I tore it apart and there is a new style follower in it than is described in the paperwork with the upper. Has anybody else seen this or had problem with this.
Rutroe

Re: New Bushmaster Mags.

Postby mossy89 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:06 pm

Yeah I had the same problem and actually was mad haha, I figured I was in such a hurry to shoot it that I didn't really care at the moment. But yeah I dunno why it doesn't work.
mossy89

Postby Civil » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:10 am

Rutroe wrote:I received my new upper this week. I tried to put the 5 rounds in the magazine but it would only hold 4. So I tore it apart and there is a new style follower in it than is described in the paperwork with the upper. Has anybody else seen this or had problem with this.

pics?
Civil

Postby Hoot » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:57 am

Last year some time, they added a small, for lack of coffee, indentation that kept the follower from going down further than it could and IIRC at 04:50, hooked the spring. There's a mention of it in a thread from last year. Anyway, If you remove the spring, you can iron it out from the inside. That's what I did. Is that what you're talking about, or did they come up with a new mod?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby Rutroe » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:38 am

OKay I know pics. first then answers. So here are the pics.

Now that pics are up here is the trouble. The follower in this mag is a one piece not an 556 follower with a single shot follower on top of it. Everything I have read says that is to hold five rounds, but can't get more than 4 in this.
Rutroe

Postby Hoot » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:50 am

In picture #2 you can see the indentation. Iron that out with a piece of square bar stock. By that i mean remove all the internals. Lay it on a flat surface with the indentation side down. Find a piece of stock that will fit down in the channel where the indentation resides. The bar needs to be long enough to stick out both ends. Using the bar press down on the indentation from the inside and mash it back to flat and as even with the mag wall as possible. Voilla!

I have no idea why they put that in there other than to make a politically correct mag capacity and that's a guess. It works fine without it.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby 45r » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:39 am

I'll probably need to get a mag for my 450BM upper when its done,is the factory mag the one to get or is there a better choice.Can you modify 223 mags,I've read the sig 516 mags will work.Are followers available.
45r

Postby Hoot » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:54 am

45r wrote:I'll probably need to get a mag for my 450BM upper when its done,is the factory mag the one to get or is there a better choice.Can you modify 223 mags,I've read the sig 516 mags will work.Are followers available.

I think the factory mags are good. You can just buy the follower and use an aftermarket magazine. I've done well by the AR Stoner SS 20-round ones from Midway. Folks will tell you that you don't need the special follower and that's true for the most part. I've modded staggered stack followers and they will work, but I prefer the single stack ones.

Hoot
Hoot

Postby mossy89 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:10 pm

So I did the fix but I had those metal indentions on both sides. I just popped them off with punches and a little mallet. But now my mag can hold 6 rounds..... correction, just loaded another, 7 rounds in the stock 450 clip.... is this ok? Haha.
mossy89

Postby FirstNation » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:26 pm

I did the same thing, 7 rounds! Only held 4 when i got it.
FirstNation

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles