Slight problem CAA stock

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Slight problem CAA stock

Postby thatguy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:48 pm

I have a collapsable CAA stock on my Bushmaster lower and in the past it has never given me any problems. Today I got to shoot my 450B for the first time (16 shots, kick was not bad at all and accuracy was very good) and as I was taking it apart to clean it i ran into a problem.

The retaining pin that holds the spring in the butt stock came loose and luckily the spring and pin were in the trigger area. I think I just need to tighten the stock down more (ie so the sleeve goes farther over the retaining pin) to hold the pin in. Is that correct OR do I have other potential problems?

thanks

b
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Re: Slight problem CAA stock

Postby gunnut » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:55 pm

Yes, That should do it.
gunnut

Postby thatguy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:53 pm

After looking at it more it appears that the stock lock nut just came loose from either 1) not being tight to start (most likely), or 2) the recoil of the 450B..

Right now I have tightened the lock nut down as tight as I can get it.. Is it ever recommended to use lock-tite?

thanks

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby thatguy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:47 am

I got the suggestion from ar15 to screw the stock in another full turn and then file it down if the upper wont close.. Then I would need to file the area for the retaining pin as well..

The more I think of this - What would be the advantage of doing this (turning another full turn deeper) vs just keeping it where it is and making sure the lock nut is good and tight? A full turn deeper would require filing around the retaining pin so it comes up high enough to hold the buffer in - so how is that any better..

thanks

Brian
thatguy

Postby thatguy » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:13 pm

After looking at it more, I ended up turning it another turn and filing the retaing pin hole and the receiver tube down.. Where it was only 1/4 of the retaining pin was being covered, now it is +90% covered so it shouldnt come out..

Rifle season comes in Saturday so i hope to have some pics to post sometime soon of my first 450B kill (if im lucky)..

Brian
thatguy

Return to AR15 Style Rifles