shooting off the bench

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

shooting off the bench

Postby BD1 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:23 pm

One of the things I liked about the .450 B going in was the AR platform.  I was figuring that I could add an ergo grip, an enidine buffer, a muzzle break, a slip on recoil pad and stuff my high power weight in the stock all to make the long sessions at the bench more comfortable.  In general it worked out.  After the first 50 rounds I also added a stick on foam pad for my cheek.  It made a pretty cushy set up and 60 round bench sessions were no problem.  Ugly, but comfy.
One issue did turn up.  After about 60 rounds of 250 grainers @ 2,200 fps the lead stock weight had pounded itself up into the stock far enough to put torque on the buffer tube, binding up the buffer.  Aparently the foam filler in the stock just isn't up to that kind of pounding over time.  I tried adding additional foam in front of the weight, and then adding resiliant foam, but the same issue would re-surface, (it only took 10 rounds of the 300 grainers).
As this stock set up will not be the permanent arrangement for this rifle, and as "black" rifles are not exactly works of art to start out, I've happily drilled two holes through the stock ,and weight, and installed two flush furniture bolts to hold things in place.  The weight makes a real difference off the rest and as I get older I do appreciate a little extra comfort here and there. i think if you pinned the weight from the start, before it has opened up the foam, you could get away with only one cross bolt.

BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Re: shooting off the bench

Postby BD1 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:00 pm

After some serious screwing around with the size, I think I've managed to attach a pic of my rifle on the bench.

BD
Attachments
IMG_1483 smaller.jpg
IMG_1483 smaller.jpg (37.73 KiB) Viewed 13232 times
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby gunnut » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:37 am

Had the same problem with my spare batteries for my eotech. They wedged into the stock and were not useable. I'm thinking maybe a water blatter with baffels might work. or maybe just a well fitted bag of water.
In other words a "water buffer" in the stock.or just fill the stock with water? A ballistic jell filled stock? Maybe a hydrolic enginer could work on this problem. Call me crazy. Most people do anyway. Would be great for making Magaritas! LOL! or "Shakened Not stired"
gunnut

Postby 2zero6 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:53 am

BD1 wrote:One issue did turn up.  After about 60 rounds of 250 grainers @ 2,200 fps the lead stock weight had pounded itself up into the stock far enough to put torque on the buffer tube, binding up the buffer.  Aparently the foam filler in the stock just isn't up to that kind of pounding over time.  I tried adding additional foam in front of the weight, and then adding resiliant foam, but the same issue would re-surface, (it only took 10 rounds of the 300 grainers).

A solid tungsten weight would be nice but expensive. Have you ever tried Mallory metal? We used it all the time when we used to balance the crankshafts on the race engines alot cheaper than pure tungsten buy heavier than lead and easily machinable to fit that recess snugly.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby BD1 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:45 am

The weight material isn't the issue so much as the construction of the stock. The standard A-2 foam filled plastic stock just isn't strong enough to keep the weight in place under the .450B's recoil. I have thousands of rounds of .223 through my DCM with the weight in place and never had a problem. But in the .450 the issue showed up in less than 100 rounds. I fixed this by putting two cross bolts through the stock and weight. It'll just stay bolted in until I'm ready to take it hunting. My Burris PEPR mount also showed up finally which put all of the recoil issues to bed.
BD
BD1

Postby gunnut » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:11 pm

I've been using this "Dead Mule" recoil reducer, Fitted into my A2 stock using high pressure hose as shimes. A sample comes with it. It was designed to fit into a standard shot gun stock. It works! How much? I'm not sure. But, I don't need my wifes oven mitt anymore.
gunnut

Postby wildcatter » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:43 pm

If your going to take out the lead for the hunting then allot of things could be useful. I myself have a Caldwell lead-sled (cheapest site I found, with out an extensive search, is http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=152664 $99), and put four 25lb bags of shot on it, the weight of the sled is about 15lb. The recoil is on the order of a 22lr and the bench work is actually fun again and checking for scope Parallax is a snap and seeing less than a 1/32" moa through the scope and even way less, is no-thing.. Other than a machine rest this is the cats Meow and could be made easily for pennies..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby 2zero6 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:14 pm

That lead sled shore is purdy!
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:25 pm

Not a replacement for "sleds" at the bench... but here's what Jim @ BM recommended for my 450b. So, I ordered the M16M4 spring/buffer and Accu-wedge. Report to follow...

A heavier buffer like the # 8448730-M
http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_parts ... _parts.asp
M16M4 machinegun buffer or a hydraulic buffer
http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp? ... =hydraulic
is not required for semi auto rifles but will improve reliability.
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:10 pm

:) Parts came in early... so I spent the evening overhauling six "GI" 30rd AR mags with BM's anti-tilt+singleshot followers; swe-e-e-et! ;) Swapped the buffer for M16M4 heavy and added the accuwedge :? My S&W lower does NOT like the accuwedge!!! I simply could not "squeeze" the upper down low enough to install the pin. :oops: I could probably trim it :roll: but was wondering if it's worth the trouble :? My son said to write the $6.00 off as an "I told ya so!" lesson. :(
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles