Recoil and What to do about it!

Buy and Sell
Be smart about your dealings, this forum is not responsible for bad deals.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Recoil and What to do about it!

Postby gunnut » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:10 pm

Here's the latest Muzzel brake tests............They do work. Image

image.jpg
Ross brake
image.jpg (123.12 KiB) Viewed 18914 times

Picture recovered by Texas Sheepdawg 08/23/2014 02:55HRS
gunnut

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:36 am

Cool Beans!!
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jeepejeep » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:55 am

Nice info! Thank you.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby Hoot » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:25 am

Jerry Miculek knew what he was doing when he designed the brake style that Ross' brake is based upon. It really shines on my .300 WSSM. Like night and day with it on and off and to a lesser degree on my 6.5 Grendel. In the latter case, throwing a 120gr bullet at 2600 fps, I can stay on target between shots. Not necessarily on the bullseye, but at least on paper and that's with it zoomed in to 24x. The one-two punch of Ross' brake and Gunnut's Recoil Less stock make even a 100 round benchrest session with my 450b a pleasant experience, but as with just about any brake, ear plugs or cups are necessary if you value your hearing.

Thanks for posting that John.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby xxInfidelxx » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:19 pm

Wonder how something like this would do resized for the Bushy .450?
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTDCM&name=Spikes+Tactical+Dynacomp+Extreme&groupid=144
xxInfidelxx

Postby Hoot » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:30 pm

xxInfidelxx wrote:Wonder how something like this would do resized for the Bushy .450?
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTDCM&name=Spikes+Tactical+Dynacomp+Extreme&groupid=144

Pepper Pot brakes can be very effective and with a more diffuse lateral blast (noise) than say a tank brake. A fellow who goes by the handle "warped" over on 65grendel.com has the number of holes versus diameter worked out optimally for the 50 Beowulf and other smaller calibers. I know everyone who has bought one of his brakes, swears by it. I have not, so I must go on hearsay. IMHO, the one in the link, though appealing to the eye, has too many holes and I wonder how much R&D drove that design as opposed to Sales, Eye Candy, Sex Appeal? I could be wrong and it could be the next Hiram Maxim Technical Excellence Award candidate, but I don't think so. If you simply mod that existing brake, you'll no doubt trash the holes around the bullet exit port. Do you call that part of a brake the muzzle also?

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby gunnut » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:43 pm

Recoil and Muzzle brakes.

I’d like to point out that there are 3 recoils in the AR rifle.
1st or primary. Newton’s laws. Action & reaction, a body stays at rest until acted upon.
This one is the cartridge igniting and propelling the bullet down the barrel and the rifle to the rear. This happen in .005 seconds or less. This is when recoil reducers work by forcing the rifle to compress a spring or other material in order to accelerate the counter weight in the reducer, slowing acceleration. Weight, travel and compression rate all come into play.

2nd. Secondary or rocket effect. This is the hot gasses exiting the barrel after the bullet. The gasses expand and accelerate at 3 to 5 time muzzle velocity, further accelerating the rifle. The smaller the bore the greater the velocity, Larger bore, less velocity.
This is where muzzle brakes come into play. For a very brief moment “.001 Sec.”The gasses are allowed to escape through port in the brake. Depending on where they are directed determines the effect of the brake. Up pushes the muzzle down helping to keep on target. The Izzy works best for this”. To the rear reduces recoil. “And blows stuff off the bench including what were friends”. To the sides, not much effect on big bores, maybe effective on smaller bores.

Getting these 2 to work together proved to be a problem. But, not impossible.
As the rifle is accelerating under the primary recoil the reducer is working. Once the bullet passes a recoil reducing brake the recoil reducer stops working because the brake has slowed the rifles acceleration. Travel and compression rate adjustments solved the problem.

3rd. Bolt, Carrier, Buffer and Spring reaching end of travel. What to call this?”BCB maybe? It’s very interesting to find out what is going on with this group of part.
When the bullet passes the gas block about 40kpsi goes down the gas tube into the bolt carrier. For a brief moment the bolt is slammed forward into the full locked position. “It’s lighter than the carrier” Then the carrier is propelled to the rear unlocking the bolt and the accelerating rifle mass just got about 12ozs lighter. At this point most of the recoil is dissipated. The bolt carrier and buffer are acting the same as a recoil reducer but opposite.
The 12ozs mass is being decelerated by the spring reducing the recoil when they reach end of travel.

I have not tested any buffers yet and there are a few other interesting things about the bolt carrier and buffer.
Sorry to be so long. Just trying to sum up what I have learned so far and I know I’ve left out a few things.
Happy Shootin!
gunnut

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:20 pm

BCB recoil physics is an awesome topic that needs a think tank and a conference/seminar. I can just imagine the members of this forum all sitting in a conference room with video screens, laser pointers, graphics, and the smell of dry erase markers, coffee, and Hoppes #9.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby wildcatter » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:35 pm

Texas Sheepdawg wrote:BCB recoil physics is an awesome topic that needs a think tank and a conference/seminar. I can just imagine the members of this forum all sitting in a conference room with video screens, laser pointers, graphics, and the smell of dry erase markers, coffee, and Hoppes #9.

.."and the smell of dry erase markers, coffee, and Hoppes #9.".. Heck, that's the Gunny's version of "Fish & Chips" or is it his Deodorant, I'm a bit confused??..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:59 pm

wildcatter wrote:
Texas Sheepdawg wrote:BCB recoil physics is an awesome topic that needs a think tank and a conference/seminar. I can just imagine the members of this forum all sitting in a conference room with video screens, laser pointers, graphics, and the smell of dry erase markers, coffee, and Hoppes #9.

.."and the smell of dry erase markers, coffee, and Hoppes #9.".. Heck, that's the Gunny's version of "Fish & Chips" or is it his Deodorant, I'm a bit confused??..

..t

......And hoot sitting in the back row throwing erasers at WC.... Total chaos.
-Texas Sheepdawg

NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Market