First hunt with the 450

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

First hunt with the 450

Postby the_mad_rshn » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:24 pm

Hi all,

This Saturday we have the firearms season starting in Virginia. Unfortunately I do not know anyone yet who owns a piece of private land, but I am still pretty hopeful about the hunts on the public lands here. I saw a ton of deer last Sat while hunting with my muzzleloader. And I even shot at one, but unfortunately the powder did not ignite. Sux!!!
I was hoping to hunt with the 450 with my home made load, but I think I will just use the remaining factory ammo for now. I won’t have enough time left the remaining part of this week to have a good load ready with either the 300XTP Mag or my hardcast 300 Lee bullet. I will have left a month and a half to hunt with a rifle, so I think it will be all ahead.
Anyway. Just want to wish you all good luck and get a little luck for myself too. I got three deer already this season, so I ended up buying a chest-freezer too :-D Finally!!!

Thanks all.
Cheers,
Mad
the_mad_rshn

Re: First hunt with the 450

Postby MOUNTIN DU » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:51 pm

:) Good luck... lookin' forward to Saturday myselfImage
hunt when it's cold; fish when it's not.
South Louisiana IS the sportsman's paradise!
MOUNTIN DU

Postby thatguy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:08 am

I need to fine tune my 450B either today or in the morning in anticipation of rifle season coming in on Saturday.. I had planned on doing it yesterday but with all the rain we have had that wasnt possible..

good luck.. safe hunting

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby the_mad_rshn » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:04 am

Went to the range on the way to work for a few minutes. Three shot group was right on the spot vertically at 100 yards, but I had to adjust the scope to the left 2 clicks. Now it is POA at 100 yards with the factory ammo.
I am armed and dangerous :mrgreen:

It is raining like hell here too. I was supposed to go hunting with the bow from the friends roof, but had to postpone it till tomorrow (I hope).
Cheers,
Mad
the_mad_rshn

Postby NordicRX8 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:53 am

I envy you guys that live in States that allow rifles for Deer. I'm stuck with Bow, Blackpowder and handguns (and my car) for deer.

Good Hunting this season.
A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
NordicRX8

Postby gunnut » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:17 am

My son in law took one with his Toyota last week! :lol:
gunnut

Postby the_mad_rshn » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:23 am

gunnut wrote:My son in law took one with his Toyota last week! :lol:

What caliber were the tires :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Mad
the_mad_rshn

Postby wildcatter » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:47 pm

NordicRX8 wrote:I envy you guys that live in States that allow rifles for Deer. I'm stuck with Bow, Blackpowder and handguns (and my car) for deer.

Good Hunting this season.

So, what specifically constitutes a Handgun in your state? And this is why I ask, here in MI, in the lower portion of the lower peninsula we have the same restrictions you have. In the Handgun dept. the state says its has to be a repeater, straight walled case, 35cal or larger and an OAL restriction. Now, seems the 450b makes the grade as a pistol, if I put on a folding stock and is like sporting a 16" barrel. If you meet that criteria, then you can register the new pistol (something we have to do here) and then hunt with ten rounds in the mag, whereas the Rifles can only have five rounds and then Bingo, we're hunting deer with what amounts to a legal short rifle, that qualifies as a pistol...
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby NordicRX8 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:14 am

wildcatter wrote:So, what specifically constitutes a Handgun in your state? And this is why I ask, here in MI, in the lower portion of the lower peninsula we have the same restrictions you have. In the Handgun dept. the state says its has to be a repeater, straight walled case, 35cal or larger and an OAL restriction. Now, seems the 450b makes the grade as a pistol, if I put on a folding stock and is like sporting a 16" barrel. If you meet that criteria, then you can register the new pistol (something we have to do here) and then hunt with ten rounds in the mag, whereas the Rifles can only have five rounds and then Bingo, we're hunting deer with what amounts to a legal short rifle, that qualifies as a pistol...

Directly from the ODNR site:
Handgun – 5-in. min. length barrel, using straight-walled cartridges .357 caliber or larger

Not sure if the ODNR would consider an AR without the stock installed a "handgun"... especially since I have the 20" barrel. :)
Guess I'll have to plan an out of state trip for whities if I want to use the Thumper as is. Now if I can only locate some of these nusiance Ohio Feral Pigs I keep hearing about. :twisted:
A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
NordicRX8

Postby wildcatter » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:37 am

NordicRX8 wrote:
wildcatter wrote:So, what specifically constitutes a Handgun in your state? And this is why I ask, here in MI, in the lower portion of the lower peninsula we have the same restrictions you have. In the Handgun dept. the state says its has to be a repeater, straight walled case, 35cal or larger and an OAL restriction. Now, seems the 450b makes the grade as a pistol, if I put on a folding stock and is like sporting a 16" barrel. If you meet that criteria, then you can register the new pistol (something we have to do here) and then hunt with ten rounds in the mag, whereas the Rifles can only have five rounds and then Bingo, we're hunting deer with what amounts to a legal short rifle, that qualifies as a pistol...

Directly from the ODNR site:
Handgun – 5-in. min. length barrel, using straight-walled cartridges .357 caliber or larger

Not sure if the ODNR would consider an AR without the stock installed a "handgun"... especially since I have the 20" barrel. :)
Guess I'll have to plan an out of state trip for whities if I want to use the Thumper as is. Now if I can only locate some of these nusiance Ohio Feral Pigs I keep hearing about. :twisted:

Poo..Do you know what the best thing about leaving Ohio is?...It's the sign that says welcome to Michigan!!! Common up, let me know, you can hunt my property with that 20 incher and shoot dozens of deer, right out the back door if ya want!! Same for you other guys. Which reminds me, I am building or have already built, over the last year, two complete Ballistics Labs and a state of the art 200yd range. Lab #1 is the "Range Lab" and sits at the top of the range and allows us to load ammo and shoot indoors, under climate controlled conditions and still have the bullet travel down range 200yds. The other lab is the "Shop Lab", which is a full blown machine shop and ammo/weapons research facility. Now, heres-the-deal.. Sometime next year, I will have an Open House, all the industry biggies have already said they will be here to roast the pig, literally and figuratively speaking, and I will put out the word for all of you guys to come too, ya just Gotta-Kinda-Wanna, we'll sleep ya somewhere or bring your camper/tents ect..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles