First hunt with the 450

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: First hunt with the 450

Postby NordicRX8 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:44 am

wildcatter wrote:Poo..Do you know what the best thing about leaving Ohio is?...It's the sign that says welcome to Michigan!!! Common up, let me know, you can hunt my property with that 20 incher and shoot dozens of deer, right out the back door if ya want!! Same for you other guys.

LOL... I'll be sure not to wear any Buckeye gear. I'm a transplant and not a native Ohioan anyways... the Wolverine vs. Buckeye rivalry isn't a matter of life or death to me. ;)
Thank you very very much for your generous offer! I really do appreciate it, as well as your contributions and insights for this wonderful new caliber! :mrgreen: So glad to a part of this great community!

wildcatter wrote:Which reminds me, I am building or have already built, over the last year, two complete Ballistics Labs and a state of the art 200yd range. Lab #1 is the "Range Lab" and sits at the top of the range and allows us to load ammo and shoot indoors, under climate controlled conditions and still have the bullet travel down range 200yds. The other lab is the "Shop Lab", which is a full blown machine shop and ammo/weapons research facility.

:shock: Are you taking applications for adoptive children? :lol: That sounds AWESOME!!!! Actually sounds like the dream home/property I've always wanted to build for myself!

wildcatter wrote:Now, heres-the-deal.. Sometime next year, I will have an Open House, all the industry biggies have already said they will be here to roast the pig, literally and figuratively speaking, and I will put out the word for all of you guys to come too, ya just Gotta-Kinda-Wanna, we'll sleep ya somewhere or bring your camper/tents ect..

Wow! That sounds like a lot of fun! Guys... you have to admit, Mr. LeGendre is way too cool! Opening his home and range to people he's only chatted with on forums is as generous as one can get. I've found "gun people" to be some of the friendliest and most helpful human beings on our planet.
Mr. LeGendre is a gem and in my opinion, should be nominated for Sainthood (or a Nobel Peace Prize at the very least). Thank you sir!
A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
NordicRX8

Postby JCoop » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:23 pm

wildcatter wrote: Which reminds me, I am building or have already built, over the last year, two complete Ballistics Labs and a state of the art 200yd range. Lab #1 is the "Range Lab" and sits at the top of the range and allows us to load ammo and shoot indoors, under climate controlled conditions and still have the bullet travel down range 200yds. The other lab is the "Shop Lab", which is a full blown machine shop and ammo/weapons research facility. Now, heres-the-deal.. Sometime next year, I will have an Open House, all the industry biggies have already said they will be here to roast the pig, literally and figuratively speaking, and I will put out the word for all of you guys to come too, ya just Gotta-Kinda-Wanna, we'll sleep ya somewhere or bring your camper/tents ect..

Wow. I really did stumble on to a reallyreallyreally cool place!
JCoop

Postby wildcatter » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:11 pm

This gets me into a little trouble with my more Liberal friends, but I, here now, categorically state..."Real Gun People, are just better than all the rest of society".. And it's true. I've been in business for some twenty years and the closet I ever got to a bounced check was when a gentleman oops-ed and he immediately took care of the matter, before I even new there was a problem, even before the bank knew there was a problem. And the guys here are Real Gun People, the salt-of-the-Earth and are the most responsible people on earth. So, why wouldn't I open my home to folks that are better than I.

If you come, bring your wife and kids, this is a family operation and some days I have to baby sit for the guys kids, who working here. I just warn the Mothers, do not complain if when they come home dirty, knees scraped up, ice cream all down their shirts and with a working knowledge of firearms safety/handling, for I am a Dad and I know what that means. We teach about the responsibility of firearms and with our use of them, the ramifications within the community and the kids eat it up. Those kids usually go home telling their Mother's something I quote all the time.."There are just some people in the world that need a little killing"..it drives the mothers crazy until the children knowledgeably inform her about the responsible philosophy behind that statement, hey the kids get it. Besides, it's my job to teach them all the basics, you know, the important stuff, like pee-ing outside, wiping your mouth on your shirt sleeve, running with a sharp stick and we don't ride bikes with protective gear, you know, important stuff. So beware, if ya bring them, I'll have them building their own gun before they go home.. Besides the environment here is wholesome and I do not allow lurid behavior or cursing or any manor of lock-room Juvenallity..

As an aside and pertinent to my typical quote above.. Col. Jeff Cooper would come out here all the time, taking mini-vacations on my couch, range and shop, sometime sleeping the day away. His daughter lives about 50miles south of me and he'd fly in, have my buddy and I come and pick him up in my buddies car, he loved riding in that car, a 1963 Lincoln Continental with Suicide Doors. Anyway, he made the statement one time about something you might find interesting.."Boys, I'd take it as a personal affront, if you ever have get a chance, to eliminate some Goblins from my planet and then didn't take it"..

I'll let you know when I'm having the Open-House and I hope ya'll come..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Jailer » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:46 pm

Hey wildcatter, what's the name of your place of business? I'm right in the middle of the state, probably not more than an hour and a half from you and would love to check it out some time. I've got a new AR build to get sighted in properly as well as my new 450 upper that is on order from Bushmaster. Sounds like your place would be the perfect spot to do it.

Look at me inviting myself over on my first post here. :D
Jailer

Postby wildcatter » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:14 pm

Jailer wrote:Hey wildcatter, what's the name of your place of business? I'm right in the middle of the state, probably not more than an hour and a half from you and would love to check it out some time. I've got a new AR build to get sighted in properly as well as my new 450 upper that is on order from Bushmaster. Sounds like your place would be the perfect spot to do it.

Sho-nuff jailer, PM me and we'll hook up. I'm over in the Lapeer area, but you'll have to wait until the deer hunting dies down some. We're slaying them and sighting in on the range won't be so good of an idea when we're killing them right on the 150 and 200 yd line..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby Jailer » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:48 pm

wildcatter wrote:
Jailer wrote:Hey wildcatter, what's the name of your place of business? I'm right in the middle of the state, probably not more than an hour and a half from you and would love to check it out some time. I've got a new AR build to get sighted in properly as well as my new 450 upper that is on order from Bushmaster. Sounds like your place would be the perfect spot to do it.

Sho-nuff jailer, PM me and we'll hook up. I'm over in the Lapeer area, but you'll have to wait until the deer hunting dies down some. We're slaying them and sighting in on the range won't be so good of an idea when we're killing them right on the 150 and 200 yd line..

Not a problem. Same reason I'm not shooting on my property now too. Don't want to mess up anybody's hunting. Besides, I just tore apart my new AR build tonight and have to replace the upper receiver so it will be a bit before I'm ready. Hopefully my new 450 upper is here by then as well and I can just bring them both out. I can get them on paper here, but I don't own enough property to shoot long distance.

I'm really looking forward to hunting next year with the 450.
Jailer

Postby PierreLaDuke » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:10 am

Wildcatter,Please let us know when. I'll gladly take a trip down from the U.P.
PierreLaDuke

Postby JCoop » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:45 pm

I've never been to Michigan but I know good folks there. And I chose my handle (JCoop) after Jeff Cooper, a modern hero if there ever was one. Please count me in... my upper arrived today so I feel like I'm part of the crowd now :D
JCoop

Postby bushmeister » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:35 pm

Well it appears the 450 bushmaster results in pretty much instant fatality on Georgia Whitetails. I got a buck and a doe this weekend, the doe made it about 10yds, the buck did a backflip and I honestly beleive was dead before he hit the ground. Both were shots behind the shoulder at 75-100 yds. Complete pass throughs with 1.5"ish exit wounds. I am having a little trouble getting used to the trigger, (mainly because it is different, not saying it's bad) so I'm going to get it worked on after season ends. Bucks are chasing does right now, so I'm taking tomorrow off and going again.
bushmeister

Postby talonxracer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:28 pm

I took a doe on saturday to fill the doe tag. She was about 60 yards away in some rather dense brush, quartering towards me, I was standing and had no rest. I tried for a neck shot but hit her a little lower in the facing shoulder, the round shattered the facing shoulder and continued on and blew the top of the heart away, then entered the opposing shoulder were it devastated everything. My buddy that cuts up our deer found the slug, he was amazed at the devastation caused by the factory 450 round. I have to go over tomorrow and get the slug and take a pic.
talonxracer

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles