Breaking trigger pins.

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Breaking trigger pins.

Postby slash2 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:04 am

Two so far, breaks right in the middle groove. I've switched to solid pins now but I was curious if anyone else was having that problem.
/2
slash2

Re: Breaking trigger pins.

Postby BD1 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:39 pm

I've never broken a trigger pin in either AR, (Both Bushmasters). i couldn't even say how many rounds through my DCM. The .450 is at 250 rounds.

BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby slash2 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:52 pm

I'm probably close to a couple of thousand rounds by now and the first one broke at about halfway through.
/2
slash2

Postby MudBug » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:47 pm

I've broke them on my 9mm AR, but it's a common thing with those.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby slash2 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:00 am

The last broken trigger pin cost me a nice hog.
I was on a pay for play 4,000 acre private ranch in northern California. Beautiful place. The owner would drive you up to the top of a ridge and drop you off, you then hunted your way back to the ranch house.
It was the second sweep of the day and I had covered quit a bit of rugged country when I finally spotted a couple of hogs move into some brush about a hundred yards away. I worked my around and in front of the direction they had been moving and found them at about 75 yards rooting out in the open.
I had the perfect shot. A log in front of me to rest the gun on, slightly down hill with a profile shot. Squeezed the trigger, squeezed a little harder, checked the safety again, squeezed again, push the forward assist, squeezed again and finally tried to rack another round, which equaled hog gone.
I swiveled the upper out of the way and the moment I relieved a little pressure on the hammer the trigger pin fell out, half of it anyway.
That was an expensive chunk of trigger pin.
/2
slash2

Postby BD1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:12 am

I hadn't really considered that. Sounds like an extra pin in the grip hole would be a good idea. Any other parts of the lower that seem to take a beating from the thumpers? The 300 grainers, (actually 293 grains in my current alloy), are definately producing more recoil.

BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby slash2 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:16 am

I now have JP solid pins, but you are never more than one weak link away from a failure no matter how many spare parts you lug around. It's part of the game.
I had my 1911 for back up, if they hadn't run off, if they had been 25 yards and not 75 yards, if they weren't in the next county by the time I figured out what was wrong with my 450, if, if, if. :lol: I still had a great day walking in the woods.
/2
slash2

Postby gunnut » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:27 am

How in the world do you break a trigger pin? ..........Looking at the action of the AR lower. I would think the hammer is hitting the disconnector way to hard causing a shear force on the trigger pin. Maybe take some mass off of the back of the hammer and increase the hammer spring? What is the solution? " just the Male in me"
gunnut

Return to AR15 Style Rifles