Building a .450BM upper?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Building a .450BM upper?

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:33 pm

:cry:
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby Jeepejeep » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:24 pm

FirstNation wrote:How come you filed off the threads if you got a compensator?

NYS law says as long as the barrel is threaded, it's illegal no matter what's attached to it. It's probably overkill but I really don't want to be arrested by these over zealous, anti gun morons in charge of LE on Long Island these days. I hated to do it but felt I had to.
Sorry Texas. :cry:
I'll post pics when it's finished. It looks like all one piece. The best welding job I've ever done.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."Col. Jeff Cooper
Jeepejeep

Postby Texas Sheepdawg » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:22 pm

It's okay.... I understand. But it's like castrating a prize Bull.
:o
-Texas Sheepdawg

http://youtube.com/c/TexasSheepdawg21
NRA Life Member
Texas Sheepdawg

Postby BWilliams » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:22 pm

Al in Mi wrote:it shouldn't be a problem to cut off the the threads, your local gunsmith or buddy with a lathe or a mill, should be able to get it done.

This was my thought. At the risk of causing mental scars to those of you in free states, my newest bright idea was just getting the Bushy 20" upper and having the barrel cut back and crowned by ADCO. Since that's what I was looking for originally (a barrel without threads), that seems to be a smart idea, especially if I can get the complete Bushy upper cheap.

ETA: @Jeepejeep: ATF rulemakingsays that welded muzzle devices become part of the barrel and thus "remove" the threads. The rest of the state sticks to that (hell, my tactical AR is a 14.5" barrel with a pinned device that brings it up to 16", meeting both Title 1 length and AWB compliance - built by a 07 up here, so definitely legit) but I totally hear you, since I've heard about that nonsense you've got going on down there in the shadow of NYC. For me, I'd sooner just cut/crown the barrel on the .450 than have a permanent device.
BWilliams

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles