Butt stocks?

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Butt stocks?

Postby BD1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:40 am

I'm currently using an A2 stock with the lead brick cross bolted in, to shoot from the bench. Not too classy, but it works and will accept a slip on recoil pad. I haven't found anyone who makes a reliable permanent A2 recoil pad. What else has been tried for Stocks? There's a bunch of high priced adjustable carbine stocks out there, but I haven't found much for solid rifle length stocks. An adjustable would be great, if it provided enough length of pull and could be bolted solid once adjusted.

BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Re: Butt stocks?

Postby MudBug » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:12 pm

I Used to use a VLTOR E-Mod stock. Adjustable, sturdy, has a small recoil pad. It worked pretty well.

Now I use a Cavalry Arms lower that I chopped just enough to to install a limbsaver recoil pad and have the LOP stay about the same (13.5"). As far as I'm concerned it's perfect.

Image Image
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby planensimple » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:52 pm

Was that a grind to fit limbsaver you used? How well did the install go?

(oops, hit edit instead of quote, sorry.)
planensimple

Postby BayouBob » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:41 pm

I am using an A2 stock. I have a shell holder that holds 6 around it and put 11 more rounds in the trap door wrapped in tissue to keep them from rattling. (I try to figure how to have a hunting trips worth of ammunition attached to all my hunting rifles so if I forget ammo I'm still ready to hunt.) I put a Limbsaver slip on over the butt to get the added length of pull. I haven't found a recoil pad made for an A2 stock that was worth throwing away either.
My Daddy was wrong when he said: "When a man turns 60 he ought to be able to trade his testicles in on a new set of teeth." Oatmeal and soup don't sound too bad.
BayouBob

Postby MudBug » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:47 pm

planensimple wrote:Was that a grind to fit limbsaver you used? How well did the install go?

It was a small I believe (I'll have to check my brownells order history to be sure) and it was just barely long enough but plenty wide. THe medium I believe is a little longer, but thinner (go figure).

Install went fine. In the cavarms stock there was a place to drill and attach the new screws and I used a little epoxy around the sides (Too bad it was blue, for some reason I thought it would dry clear). It's no perfect, but plenty good enough for me.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby gunnut » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:10 am

I think maybe a water blatter with baffels in the A2 stock might help with recoil. or maybe just a well fitted bag of water.
In other words a "water buffer" in the stock.or just fill the stock with water? A ballistic jell filled stock? Maybe a hydrolic enginer could work on this problem. Call me crazy. Most people do anyway. Would be great for making Magaritas! LOL! or "Shakened Not stired"
gunnut

Postby rsb5772 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:23 am

I'm using an ACE Skeleton stock on my 450, with the 1" recoil pad. Works great. I'll get pictures up later.
rsb5772

Postby talonxracer » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:52 pm

At first I tried the Magpul PRS and it worked very nicely except for the added weight in the woods. Then out of legalities sake I put a a thumbhole stock on (as I didnt have a NYstate legal upper :roll: and wanted to bring the rifle home for deer hunting(stored and shot in Pa for a bit)) and that required modification to reach the safety. I wasnt happy with the Thumbhole at all so when I put the JP tactical muzzle brake on I pinned it as well. Now I have the ACE skeleton stock and love it out in the woods, especially that foam tube when it is below freezing out during deer season.

with PRS
with thumbhole
with ACE
talonxracer

Postby rsb5772 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:14 am

Nice. I'm not going to post a pic of my black skeleton stock now!
rsb5772

Postby BD1 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:25 am

What's the length of pull on that set up?

BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles