found Remington ammo

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: found Remington ammo

Postby Siringo » Fri May 06, 2011 10:03 pm

The nose shank on the Remington is stepped down from the rear portion. There is actually a ledge. While I never measured the bullets I pulled, it has to be smaller than .450 inches. I am going to guess that it is .448 inches. That is why it appears that the crimp does not contact the bullet. It it did, it would not head-space properly.

Also, if you notice the close up on the crimps, the Remington seems to be turned in more than the Hornady. Regarding the Hornady -- this was noticed by HOOT long ago -- is there appears to be a secondary ring on the mouth of the case. It is barely perceptible and you need a magnifying glass to see it. Looks like the case mouth contacted a sharp edge (all 450B Hornady ammo I have has this) during the crimping which turns a portion of the case mouth into the bullet while leaving plenty of surface to head space on. Who knows -- maybe this is a way to compensate for varying case lengths. I can not see it after the case has been fired. HUMMM! Part of Hornady's secret loading procedures to turn out top notch ammo?
Siringo

Postby BD1 » Sat May 07, 2011 6:37 am

Well, I got a shipping notice from Able's yesterday so hopefully some remmy is headed my way. I hedged my bet with a couple of boxes from Midway, just in case.
BD
BD1

Location: Northern Maine, Working on the coast, but home is still Moosehead Lake.

Postby Jim in Houston » Sat May 07, 2011 9:31 am

Siringo wrote:Regarding the Hornady -- this was noticed by HOOT long ago -- is there appears to be a secondary ring on the mouth of the case. It is barely perceptible and you need a magnifying glass to see it. Looks like the case mouth contacted a sharp edge (all 450B Hornady ammo I have has this) during the crimping which turns a portion of the case mouth into the bullet

Per Siringo's note and Hoot's observation, could it be that Hornady is putting a very slight roll crimp in their 450's? My discussion with the Hornady tech rep clearly implied that they expect you to use the crimping collet on the Honrady seating die, when reloading the Hornady 450B. This, of course, is the opposite of the preference for a taper crimp noted in this thread.
Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association; Patron LIfe Member, NRA
Jim in Houston

Postby Hoot » Sat May 07, 2011 12:57 pm

Jim in Houston wrote:
Siringo wrote:Regarding the Hornady -- this was noticed by HOOT long ago -- is there appears to be a secondary ring on the mouth of the case. It is barely perceptible and you need a magnifying glass to see it. Looks like the case mouth contacted a sharp edge (all 450B Hornady ammo I have has this) during the crimping which turns a portion of the case mouth into the bullet

Per Siringo's note and Hoot's observation, could it be that Hornady is putting a very slight roll crimp in their 450's? My discussion with the Hornady tech rep clearly implied that they expect you to use the crimping collet on the Honrady seating die, when reloading the Hornady 450B. This, of course, is the opposite of the preference for a taper crimp noted in this thread.

I started a New Thread in the Reloading for the 450b sub-forum regarding the Hornady Factory Crimp.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby BillytheKid » Sat May 07, 2011 2:31 pm

Ah, I totally misunderstood. I thought he was talking about the plastic tips.
"Now I am Breitbart, and there are millions more of us." - Me
BillytheKid

Postby Hoot » Sat May 07, 2011 3:42 pm

BillytheKid wrote:Ah, I totally misunderstood. I thought he was talking about the plastic tips.

They did start off as the topic, but topics have a tendency to stray. ;)

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby NordicRX8 » Sat May 28, 2011 5:53 pm

MidwayUSA has the AccuTip in stock (5/28/11 7:50pm), just bought 5 boxes.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... uctDescrip

27.49 per box. :!:

$10 off $50 order coupon code.
$20 off $200 order coupon code.

Can't wait to try em out!
A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
NordicRX8

Postby bushmeister » Mon May 30, 2011 7:36 pm

NordicRX8 wrote:MidwayUSA has the AccuTip in stock (5/28/11 7:50pm), just bought 5 boxes.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... uctDescrip

27.49 per box. :!:

$10 off $50 order coupon code.
$20 off $200 order coupon code.

Can't wait to try em out!

Thanks for the tip....and the codes! :D
bushmeister

Postby commander faschisto » Tue May 31, 2011 7:08 pm

Hi...newbie here...has anyone ever actually SEEN a box of Remmy 250gr Core-Lokt rounds for the 450b? I heard that the bright sparks at Remmy marketing had discontinued that loading, so I sent them a flame-mail regarding their corporate stupidity (although that sort of goes without saying...).

Are we still looking for chrony info on the Rem 260gr Accu-Tip out of a 20" tube? I've got one, and the ammo (unfired, as yet) and could check it out in a day or two...???
Isa Akhbar!
NRA Life Member
Oklahoma Rifle Association member

Heavily armed; easily pissed.
commander faschisto

Postby wildcatter » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:08 pm

commander faschisto wrote:Hi...newbie here...has anyone ever actually SEEN a box of Remmy 250gr Core-Lokt rounds for the 450b? I heard that the bright sparks at Remmy marketing had discontinued that loading, so I sent them a flame-mail regarding their corporate stupidity (although that sort of goes without saying...).

Are we still looking for chrony info on the Rem 260gr Accu-Tip out of a 20" tube? I've got one, and the ammo (unfired, as yet) and could check it out in a day or two...???

Keep in mind that Flaming emails always fall on deaf ears and never serves you well either. All heart felt requests gets logged in and will be referenced for future product developments.

It's kinda like talking to your wife and as Tex Sheep Dog once told me.."it's bad form to notice that your wife is having a bad hair day by sounding off".."Hey Dudette, Watt the Heck Happened To Your Hair!"...wink..

..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

PreviousNext

Return to AR15 Style Rifles