Firing pin mark in hand cycled cartridges..

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Firing pin mark in hand cycled cartridges..

Postby thatguy » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:26 pm

I have been hunting with my 450 B and noticed that the cartridges that I remove from the chamber after an unsuccessful hunt have a slight firing pin indent on them..

Can this cause the cartridge to go off?

Do i need to worry about this? If yes, what is the fix?

thanks

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Re: Firing pin mark in hand cycled cartridges..

Postby Jailer » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:49 pm

Normal. The AR 15 has a floating firing pin and will do this when the bolt closes on a chambered round.

Nothing to worry about.
Jailer

Postby MudBug » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:58 pm

Jailer wrote:Normal. The AR 15 has a floating firing pin and will do this when the bolt closes on a chambered round.

Nothing to worry about.

Which is why Magnum primers are recommended in anything loaded for the ar15.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby thatguy » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:23 pm

MudBug wrote:
Jailer wrote:Normal. The AR 15 has a floating firing pin and will do this when the bolt closes on a chambered round.

Nothing to worry about.

Arent ppl using the small rifle primers for reloading? Are those magnums?

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby MudBug » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:40 pm

thatguy wrote:
MudBug wrote:

Nothing to worry about.

Arent ppl using the small rifle primers for reloading? Are those magnums?

Brian

Many do use standard Small Rifle primers and get away with it, but as I said, magnum primers are suggested, so that would be Small Rifle Magnum primers like the Winchester SRMs, CCI 450's or Wolf SRMs.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby wildcatter » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:21 am

Yup, this is normal and you see it in most semi-autos.. Slam Fires do rarely happen which is why you need to keep the muzzle in a safe direction (Hey, this is all very dangerous stuff and it's totally up to you what safety standards you maintain, if one has an accident it isn't from someone else's advice that caused it. GM makes 200mph+ cars and everyone is telling you to open it up and see how it runs, but that may not be the right idea for you at any particular time. Same thing here, we are encouraging many things on this board and some of them have a more inherent risk greater than other suggestions, so it's all on you if you can make it work or not and Safety is of paramount considerations).. Now, well before the hay-day of the AR's at Camp Perry, when M-1's and M-14's were the weapon of choice, you'd occasionally hear a slam fire of this type on the command to "Load". The Range Master's wouldn't miss a beat and just keep on barking out the commands, ignoring the accidental fire, because, it was well understood what was happening at that particular moment and as long as no-one was yelling for a medic, then, it was business as usual..
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby NordicRX8 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:29 am

MudBug wrote:Many do use standard Small Rifle primers and get away with it, but as I said, magnum primers are suggested, so that would be Small Rifle Magnum primers like the Winchester SRMs, CCI 450's or Wolf SRMs.

There are also standard SR primers with "thicker cups" for use in "militarty style" rifles to prevent SLAMFIRES.
CCI makes a primer designated as #41 Military, and Wolf has SR primers labeled ".223" that have thicker cups.
I'm using older Federal "thick cup" primers for my .450B reloads... looking to stock up on the primers mentioned above.
A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
NordicRX8

Postby MudBug » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:41 pm

The Wolf SR "For use in ar15" primers are just Wolf SRMs.
Eric

MudBug
Site Admin

Postby JCoop » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:03 pm

wildcatter, when were you at Camp Perry? You ever hear of a very successful shooter by the name of Lawrence "Tommy" Moore?
JCoop

Postby NordicRX8 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:36 pm

MudBug wrote:The Wolf SR "For use in ar15" primers are just Wolf SRMs.

I know why resellers list them separate, but why does Wolf supply different packaging and part #s ???
Manufacturer #: NC223, Manufacturer #: NCSR, Manufacturer #: NCSRM
Could it be possible that the 223/Military primers have thicker cups but a regular strength instead of a magnum ignition charge?

MudBug wrote:Which is why Magnum primers are recommended in anything loaded for the ar15.

I never knew this. Never noticed loads in my reloading manuals that substitute SRM for SR in .223Rem for AR use... still waiting for .450B to added to the reloading books. :mrgreen: I have read the warnings about slam fires and the recommendation to use thick cupped primers in one of my books. The load data from Hornady doesn't specify magnum primers, can one substitute a SRM for SR and use the same data or do you need to compensate for the hotter primer? Wonder who makes the primers for Hornady Custom Ammo.

Back OT, can repeated dings/bumps from the floating firing pin eventually set off the primer in our thumpers?
A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys... - Charlton Heston
NordicRX8

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles