Firing pin mark in hand cycled cartridges..

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

Re: Firing pin mark in hand cycled cartridges..

Postby justin1990 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:00 pm

I didn't notice the firing pin mark until after 10+ years in the army and many many thousands of rounds fired. It wasn't until I started hunting with my AR that I actually unloaded a round out of the chamber instead of firing it. It looked really strange to me...

It's funny the things you notice even after doing the same thing literally thousands of times.

Anyways, I concur it is normal and nothing to worry about. But just to be safe, always keep your weapon pointed in a safe direction when you chamber a round.
justin1990

Postby thatguy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:04 am

Could you add a ball point pen type spring to keep the firing pin from moving freely??

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby justin1990 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:09 am

I have heard that the original AR design had such a spring because of the relatively common slam fire occurance in the garand.

I've never had or seen a slam fire in the AR in many many rounds. But I'm sure it is possible.

I would worry about the spring jamming inside the back of the bolt and causing more harm than good, but if you could find a photo or drawing of the original AR design, you might be able to replicate it.
justin1990

Previous

Return to AR15 Style Rifles