First range trip

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

First range trip

Postby mnhornet » Sat May 14, 2011 4:53 pm

Well, finally got some Hornady ammo, and made it to the range. I put my carbine upper with some nice Burris glass on it, onto my varmint lower. Any who, had the range to myself, cause it was cold, wet, and breezy. This thing shot like a champ, cycled perfectly, and is one ragged whole accurate. Now the bad news. I'm at the end of vertical adjustment on my scope, and still shooting way way low. I'm talking about a foot at 100yds. Any suggestions on a remedy to my issue would be greatly appreciated.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
mnhornet

Re: First range trip

Postby Ghost Dog » Sat May 14, 2011 5:21 pm

I had the same problem, went to gun smith, had to shim my scope.
Dead on at 100 yards with still lot of range in windage and elevation.
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby mnhornet » Sat May 14, 2011 5:31 pm

Thanks GD, I had to shim the scope mount on my 10/17 conversion, and was trying to picture how I was going to do it on the bushy.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
mnhornet

Postby AR_Hunter » Sat May 14, 2011 7:11 pm

For future reference what scope mounts are you using? I can't wait to shoot mine but need some glass and mounts.
Thanks for the report.
AR_Hunter

Postby Ghost Dog » Sat May 14, 2011 7:51 pm

I'm using the Rock River Arms AR0130T RRA Hi-Rise Cantilever Scope Mount, 1 Inch Rings.
If I were to do it again I would go with the Burris P.E.P.R. mount.
Also using a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40.
Never pet a burning dog!
Ghost Dog

Postby AR_Hunter » Sat May 14, 2011 8:02 pm

Glad to hear that as I was planning on getting the P.E.P.R. Mount and the Redfield 3-9x40.
AR_Hunter

Postby Hoot » Sun May 15, 2011 6:51 am

Though they lack sex appeal, I run Burris Signature Zee rings on all my guns. They're steel and they use delrin inserts which wrap around your scope tube between it and the actual steel rings. Those inserts protect your scope finish and they come in 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20 MOA offset, which can be a godsend tuning out a problem with the gun and certainly for shooting beyond your scope's adjustment range for long distance. If different rings yield the same result, you probably need to lap the face of your upper receiver. For what you'll pay a smith to do it for, you can just buy the tool from Midway or Brownells and do it yourself.

Hoot
In Theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In Practice, there is.
Hoot

Postby mnhornet » Mon May 16, 2011 5:43 am

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Lost DSL yesterday, so, sorry I haven't been back. I have a Primary Arms PEPR style mount, with a burris short mag on it. I'll be looking for shim locations, check out the tools Hoot suggested, and talk with my buddies in the machine shop. I don't usually go to a gunsmith for anything, that's why I have a basement. :D
mnhornet

Postby mnhornet » Tue May 17, 2011 10:24 am

Just an FYI. I put 4 pieces of .002" brass shim on the rail just forward of the rear clamp of the mount. According to my bore scope I should be in the ballpark.
mnhornet

Postby mnhornet » Fri May 20, 2011 7:57 am

Even though I McGyvered the scope mount, I'd rather do a more perminent fix. A buddy on afrcom is going to borrow me his lapping tool and abrasive compound. I'll let you know if it works.
mnhornet

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles