General Maintenance

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

General Maintenance

Postby bushmeister » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:25 pm

As I mentioned before, I'm new to AR's. I got soaked in a rainstorm, which led me to wonder, what is this mysterious black coating on my rifle, and do I need to protect it with clp or oil or something. I didn't see any reference in the manual.
bushmeister

Re: General Maintenance

Postby Siringo » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:05 am

Siringo

Postby talonxracer » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:09 am

Yes the nice black finish should have a coat of protectant like CLP etc applied. The black surface is ever so slightly porous and retains some oil after wiping the weapon down. It is essential to apply oil to freshly parkerized steel or it will corrode.
talonxracer

Postby bushmeister » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:15 pm

Thanks guys, I went through 27 pages of threads on ar15.com's maintenance section, and couldn't find it anywhere. Also surprised it isn't mentioned anywhere in the manual.
bushmeister

Postby thatguy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:34 pm

bushmeister wrote:Thanks guys, I went through 27 pages of threads on ar15.com's maintenance section, and couldn't find it anywhere. Also surprised it isn't mentioned anywhere in the manual.

if in doubt coat it with CLP..... The parkerized barrel will show any lint from the cloth used to wipe it down, but I just try to make sure I get it all covered well..

here is a link to the owners manual.. it will cover what and how to clean the entire rifle.. it will also advise you on items that just need to be wiped down and items that needed to be 'wetter' (like the bcg)..

http://www.bushmaster.com/electronic-do ... manual.pdf

brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby talonxracer » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:03 pm

I have started to use Micro-fiber towels when cleaning lately and they work surprisingly well, and leave no lint.
talonxracer

Postby bushmeister » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:56 pm

thatguy wrote:if in doubt coat it with CLP..... here is a link to the owners manual.. it will cover what and how to clean the entire rifle.. it will also advise you on items that just need to be wiped down and items that needed to be 'wetter' (like the bcg)..
brian

I'm pretty embarassed :oops: . I swear I read the entire manual before I posted, but honestly I guess #1 was just too easy.

"1. Using a “CLP“ type product, clean all areas (inside and out) of Powder Fouling, Corrosion and Dirt."

I guess plain English is just too hard to understand. Sorry for the dumb question.
bushmeister

Postby thatguy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:30 am

bushmeister wrote:
thatguy wrote:if in doubt coat it with CLP..... here is a link to the owners manual.. it will cover what and how to clean the entire rifle.. it will also advise you on items that just need to be wiped down and items that needed to be 'wetter' (like the bcg)..
brian

I'm pretty embarassed :oops: . I swear I read the entire manual before I posted, but honestly I guess #1 was just too easy.

"1. Using a “CLP“ type product, clean all areas (inside and out) of Powder Fouling, Corrosion and Dirt."

I guess plain English is just too hard to understand. Sorry for the dumb question.

I dont think there is ever a dumb question.. Everyone has a 'mentally challenged' question every now and then.. :lol:

Glad you're good to go now

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Return to AR15 Style Rifles