broken extractor

Talk about the AR15 style rifles chambered in 450 Bushmaster.

Moderator: MudBug

broken extractor

Postby catfish » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:09 pm

Took my new .450BM to the range today for the first time. The first 15 shots went fine no problems. The rifle then failed to eject a spent catridge. We soon discovered that it was a broken extractor. Is this common and what could be the cause? By the way I wasn't doing rapid fire. Three slow shots then inspect target etc...
Thanks
catfish

Re: broken extractor

Postby MudBug » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:55 pm

Very strange, and the first time I have seen this reported.

Any chance you could get a good pic of it?

I would call Bushmaster. I'm sure they will get right on it.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby thatguy » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:28 am

a pic would be nice, that certainly isnt the normal Bushmaster quality.. BUT things to fail

Brian
If you are on Facebook, check out the 450 Bushmaster "Thumper" group I created.. We are always looking for new members and don't forget to share any pictures you have...
thatguy

Postby wildcatter » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:10 pm

MudBug wrote:Very strange, and the first time I have seen this reported.

Any chance you could get a good pic of it?

I would call Bushmaster. I'm sure they will get right on it.

YEAH!!! MUDDERS BACK!!! WHERE'S THE BEEF??? Ok, so i'm waiting the sorted details, but in the mean time...this is the first ever event! I've never ever heard of such a thing, but the truth is, with a lifetime background in the, in among some of my expertise, some of which were 36yrs at GM, I can categorically say... things can and do happen, even if you plan so those things can never be an extractor.

It's a bad break, but then it could have been a lighting bolt, good thing it wasn't. My advice is to chalk it up to the vibrations of the earth and call Bushy, tell will take care of it, period. You might want to offer to send the bolt back so they can have a look, but believe me, they take Customer Care very seriously. This reason alone is why I picked them and all the Gun Outfits wanted and were politicking for the 450b, this and for who leads that organization, John DeSantis, who's personification and integrity is far above reproach, and he insist that his staff is the same. You will not have a problem, give them a call, and then report back your experience with this most excellent of Organizations..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby MudBug » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:42 pm

wildcatter wrote:YEAH!!! MUDDERS BACK!!! WHERE'S THE BEEF???

I'll post the whole story tomorrow, but for now I'll just say that I think I need to start hunting in clown shoes, but for this hunt they would have needed to be very well insulated.
Eric

"A coward is much more disposed to quarrels than a man of spirit." - Thomas Jefferson

"War is less costly than servitude. The choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd
MudBug
Site Admin

Postby wildcatter » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:06 pm

MudBug wrote:
wildcatter wrote:YEAH!!! MUDDERS BACK!!! WHERE'S THE BEEF???

I'll post the whole story tomorrow, but for now I'll just say that I think I need to start hunting in clown shoes, but for this hunt they would have needed to be very well insulated.

Are you Kidding? You did great just going. I've been a PH for allot of years and if I had a nickel...as the saying goes. It's why they call it Hunting and not Shooting or Harvesting or Gathering. You did good boy, and now we want to smell the campfire smoke through your stories..t
Safety First..t
wildcatter

Location: In the Middle of Deer Central Station or better known as, in the Thumb of Beautiful Michigan

Postby 2zero6 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:49 pm

+1 on the positive Bushmaster customer service experience. They'll make it right and if for some remote reason not, let us know and I am sure one of us will gladly help you out.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Postby catfish » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:22 am

Here is a pic of the broken extractor. After shooting the .450 I can see where the parts would be under a lot more stress than on the .223
I'll give BM a call on Monday. Thanks for the input.
Last edited by catfish on Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
catfish

Postby catfish » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:29 am

A better pic hopefully Image
catfish

Postby 2zero6 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:38 am

Was this with factory ammo?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - Benjamin Franklin."
Member #55 of the 450b forum.
2zero6

Next

Return to AR15 Style Rifles